Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA and touching

TSA and touching

I wonder what others know about the limits of TSA patting down,etc? I have been wearing a bralet when I fly to avoid the bra clasp harassment I experienced a while back. Darn 'X ray machine' flagged me again and I was asked to step aside, have a gentle back pat--wonder if it would ever include a chest patting!

Gold Member
    That is why I will stay off the air planes, Car or Train for me. Me and Grandma
    are way to old for strip searches, and have to much mettle in us.
    Rader

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Because of a pacemaker and an artificial shoulder I cannot go thru X-ray machines, so I always get a patdown. I have worn a bra for most of my life, and if the TSA person asks me about it I just tell them I wear it on doctors orders. Never have had a problem!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

A while back I flew from Orlando to Boston.
    I carry a CPAP machine for my breathing when I sleep.
    The TSA Agents were absolutely obnoxious.
    They treated my like a common criminal.

That was the last time I will ever fly and the last dollar they will ever get from me.
    There is NO WAY IN HE!! that I will go thru that again.
    I have never been so embarrased in my life.

I could not imagine what it would be like going thru with my machine and dressed up like a girl.
    They would probably call the swat team on me.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I avoid flying as much as possible. Unfortunately sometimes I have to. When I do I am in male mode and all the Ellen stuff goes in checked baggage. I am sad we have let this happen to our society, and even more sad that it is going to get much worse.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I view it differently...you own it...dress as you want,and just accept what comes with it. Some of us that fly as women,get the full treatment automatically...so what?If nothing becomes of it and you don't miss your flight,what's the big deal?
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I dunno but if a TSA agent ever touched me where they should not, I'd probably wind up in the slammer or dead as they would be on the floor.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Raychel View Post
    A while back I flew from Orlando to Boston.
    I carry a CPAP machine for my breathing when I sleep.
    The TSA Agents were absolutely obnoxious.
    They treated my like a common criminal.

That was the last time I will ever fly and the last dollar they will ever get from me.
    There is NO WAY IN HE!! that I will go thru that again.
    I have never been so embarrased in my life.

I could not imagine what it would be like going thru with my machine and dressed up like a girl.
    They would probably call the swat team on me.
    I need to keep most of my thoughts to myself as I'm afraid of being too political. But I use a CPAP machine too and ever before the TSA came on scene, I was afraid of having to fly with it. And I've heard horror stories of them being disassembled when packed in checked luggage.

Supposedly, they are exempt from being counted as part of your carry on limit due to being a medical device, but I have my suspicions in this "modern" age. And what do you do about distilled water for the humidifier with the ban on liquids?

Back to the OP, I've never been in public dressed, but would imagine it would be a horror to go through these control freaks' gauntlets dressed. I would even hesitate to wear panties while flying. And what about breast forms? I would imagine if gel soles in your shoes aren't allowed, that they would suspect you of trying to smuggle plastique explosives on board or something.

Like Raychel, though I used to love to fly, I have no desire to do so unless things change for the better. Unfortunately, the TSA will soon be at train and bus stations and shopping malls too if they get their way.

My bra would be the least of it. I've go so much metal in me that I'd trigger all the alarms without worrying about my underwear.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

It would be beyond their allowed duties. They can take you to a private area and have you expose things. Also they would (should) use the back of their hand. Since wearing prostheses are not banned this should go no further than showing (not removing) or explaining the forms. You have the choice of having a male or female TSA agent pat you down.

Although I don't like the idea, it is not something new to the airport and you should either not dress in a manner where you feel you may be in that situation (if you are TS you should carry your letter) OR expect that somewhere along the either the machine or the person ill see something they need to check deeper. You pays your money you plays the game.

BTW if you believe you are treated badly, you can file a formal complaint. It isn't like they cannot find someone else to replace the agent.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I certainly know many girls who have travelled by air, to and from the USA, internally and in Europe.

The success stories far outweigh the horror stories. For the most part the worst that happens is an, 'Excuse me madam, do you have your husband's passport by mistake.'

That said, it's not for the feint of heart as one CAN always be pulled aside for a search. Just remember that you have the RIGHT for anything beyond a simple patdown to be conducted in private.
    love

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    You have the choice of having a male or female TSA agent pat you down.
    I would be ok with a female patting me down....I would even go through the security twice!

Our freedoms have been reduced because of some very radical actions. I did not nor do not think that a new angency (TSA) needed to be created, however, these people all have a job to do. I don't really care who pats me down if they feel they have to do so. If I am underdressed (which I will be) that was my choice and you know the old saying "if you play with fire you might get burned", the TSA agent may be surprised by what is found, then again, maybe not. Nonetheless, they will not make you late for your flight. LP

Miriam
    I've flown about once a month for nearly 20 years now to a wide range of destinations. Before TSA there was a wide range of screening practices across the country, with the harshest actually at my small home town airport. Since TSA got their policies fully established (a couple years after they actually took over), I've been gratified to see that the practices are at least reasonably consistent from place to place, and that they have published policies that I can reference if I think they're stepping over the line.

I've never traveled in gal mode (yet), but have carried various garments and forms with me as I go through security (I rarely check luggage). I couldn't conceive of doing so in the pre-TSA days with our harsh local security, but have no problem with it now. While there are a few outliers that don't seem to get the TSA policies, a supervisor whol does know the rules is just a short call away if I need it.

Miriam

thanks for all the input. I won't wear my traditional bra when flying-stick to the Bali bralet. I guess a person just has to accept the back rub-guess the back of the hand isn't as 'intrusive' as the front (??)
    flying isn't a sophisiticated way of travel as it once was--now just getting from A to B quickly and as inexpensively as possible. I suspect the TSA staff has to struggle to keep up their morale as surely they must sense the dissatisfaction of the public. probably lots of drinking off duty.

I do the equivalent of what the TSA do in Australia and if I had a dollar for every time I've been abused and insulted while simply doing my job, I could retire. These are not little word, they are full blown "f words" and other words that I cannot type here. The general public are no angels. We try to be as accommodating as we can within the rules but at the end of the day, we don't set the policies that we have to enforce, we just have to enforce them.
    CPAP machines.....we see 10-20 a day and there never had been a problem with them coming through our screening points. They just go straight through

I flew recently wearing a bra, (among other things). I had to go through one of the full body scanners. I was asked to step aside & the TSA agent said he had to touch me to check something the scanner flagged.
    I could see a monitor near the machine & it had an outline of a body (generic) with little dots on it everywhere there was a clasp or adjuster on my bra.
    The TSA agent rubbed the strap on my shoulder & asked "what are you wearing under your shirt". I told him I was wearing a bra. He told me he needed to follow the strap all the way around "for continuity". He followed the shoulder straps & band across the back. He never touched the cups. He used the back of his hand.
    When he was satisfied it was indeed a bra, I was led over to another TSA agent where my hands were wiped & checked for explosive residue. I passed!

I wasn't embarrassed, they were very professional, efficient & I was on my way. I doubt anyone around even figured out what was going on. Just another guy being frisked by TSA.

Just another day at airport security.

Quote Originally Posted by prw230 View Post
    I flew recently wearing a bra, (among other things). I had to go through one of the full body scanners. I was asked to step aside & the TSA agent said he had to touch me to check something the scanner flagged.
    I could see a monitor near the machine & it had an outline of a body (generic) with little dots on it everywhere there was a clasp or adjuster on my bra.
    The TSA agent rubbed the strap on my shoulder & asked "what are you wearing under your shirt". I told him I was wearing a bra. He told me he needed to follow the strap all the way around "for continuity". He followed the shoulder straps & band across the back. He never touched the cups. He used the back of his hand.
    When he was satisfied it was indeed a bra, I was led over to another TSA agent where my hands were wiped & checked for explosive residue. I passed!

I wasn't embarrassed, they were very professional, efficient & I was on my way. I doubt anyone around even figured out what was going on. Just another guy being frisked by TSA.

Just another day at airport security.
    Well I feel so much safer knowing that any man wearing a bra has one that has "continuity"! I would hate to see the other kind end up on a plane....oh my what would we do! And we all know that any man who wears a bra also handles explosives too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I dunno but if a TSA agent ever touched me where they should not, I'd probably wind up in the slammer or dead as they would be on the floor.
    Of course, Kate's thoughts on "where they should not" are old school. Now we're raising a generation that will have always experienced being inspected, scanned, frisked, etc. by the ever-present "authorities", and they're taught to submit without a whimper. A couple of more generations and there will be no memory of personal freedom to travel, go to sporting events, ride the train, plane, bus, and subway with out being searched.

We've traded a lot of freedom for an illusion of security.

OTOH, Kimberly Huddle's exploits of traveling en femme are well documented in her blog and she is able to do it generally without being harrassed. There is hope for all of us to be able someday to go about our business w/o being singled out just because of a bra strap or stray silicone boobie.

Rhonda

Quote Originally Posted by harley47 View Post
    I wonder what others know about the limits of TSA patting down,etc? I have been wearing a bralet when I fly to avoid the bra clasp harassment I experienced a while back. Darn 'X ray machine' flagged me again and I was asked to step aside, have a gentle back pat--wonder if it would ever include a chest patting!
    This has happened to me a number of when flying drab and wearing a bra. As prw30 has said, the agents were always polite and professional (if maybe surprised)-- just a back pat. Sometimes I've been asked if I was wearing a brace!

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    I would be ok with a female patting me down....I would even go through the security twice!
    When I've flown pretty and my hip padding triggers a patdown, I've been patted down by female agents -- again, very professional (and they always have said "Have a nice flight ma'am"). Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not the in least embarassed about this, and am perfectly happy to reassure whomever that I am not a security threat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

thanks for the posts. I guess it is just part of life today. hope the device isn't as revealing as in that Leslie Nielson comedy some years back that had a scene with special binoculars that showed a lab tech wearing lovely lingerie under a drab lab coat! But, how exciting can pantyhose be?

I avoid any potential disasters by not severely under dressing like that.
    I am usually flying international.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I just flew RT from LAX to Raleigh Durham , NC for my dad's funeral. I am currently disabled by a spine condition awaiting fusion surgery so I use a 4 point cane. At LAX, Jet Blue met me with a wheel chair (zero lines to wait in) took me to security where I took off the usual stuff but forgot my belt with a metal buckle. They x-rayed all that and my carry-on and asked me to step into the scanner and raise my arms. I said that would be difficult due to my back. They said "OK, can you step through the metal detector?" I said sure. No alarms and absolutely no pat down. Back in the chair and wheeled to the gate. The return trip was not quite as accommodating but not bad. He only felt my legs and never went into my groin area. I would be bringing heavy duty pain meds on the way out and meds as well as my dad's cremains on the way back, I opted not to take anything femme with me. I figured I already had enough 'target' material for a search.
    All this TSA silliness is interesting to watch and they have yet to catch anyone bent on taking over a plane as that is no longer possible.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I fly international a couple of times a year. I have never "flown pretty" and while I do dress a little on the femme side in boy mode this is the only time I don't wear a bra. My feeling is I have been waiting in that line long enough, the last thing I want is to be taken to one side patted down and it take even longer to get through security.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

This thread is quite timely for me as I just flew from NJ to Oregon last Thursday and was selected for additional screening. After going through their detector I was asked to step aside and a female TSA agent approached me. I was asked to raise my arms and she began patting me down. At all times she was totally processional and only contacted my body with the back of her fingers. She ran her hands up and down my inner and outer thighs as well as between my breasts.

The entire experience add only a minute or two of delay and I was totally surprise and extremely delighted when the TSA agent who patted me down apologized for the delay and told me that I looked lovely. Sought of made my day.....

The TSA has a website which contains an entire page of information on what transgendered people can expect and what their rights are. This extremely informative information can be located at:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers

I have gotten into the habit of carrying a printed copy of this page along with my carry letter whenever I fly.