Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do we do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
    No special reason. I just like the clothes. And I don't believe in gender restrictions. Female clothes are just clothes, I don't see them as "female" clothes.
    I am with you on that thought. When I was little I noticed all the attention girls always got, your so cute,you look so nice, your figure, your hair etc. So I decided to copy or emulate them, because nobody complemented boys. When I got old enough went on hormones for the real shape and female feelings.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I think we tend to over-state the degree to which the world disapproves of us .
    I am with Kim on this one. We should be able to do whatever we want that doesn't impact others. That is called freedom. But because this is not common in our society, we tend to move to the safe side of things a assume the worst can happen. And that can be a good thing at some level as self preservation is an inherent quality in all people. The trick is to let it keep you safe but not freeze you being happy.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Hi Julie,

My story too, closeted most of my life, out only since April 2012. I think the old 'spectrum' discussion is both a clue and an enigma. Light ranges from black to white, so does the human condition. I don't bother as to why and merely accept that I am.

If I knew why, would it change much? I'm happy as I am, it's just others that will have issue with it.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I think we tend to over-state the degree to which the world disapproves of us. Yes, there are some common and not altogether flattering stereotypes of TG people, but for the most part, people really don't care. What bothers us, often, is our own opinion of ourselves. I know this from first hand experience. I lived with guilt and shame, not because the world imposed it on me, but because I imposed it on itself - and presumed the "world" agreed. When I finally let that self loathing go, and went out into the big bad world, I discovered that in fact, I had been wrong all along. The vast majority of people treat me just like they would any other woman.
    Kim I wish I could convince myself of this. Logically I know it is so, but when out and dressed I always have this feeling like something bad may happen. It is because of this that I try so very hard to have a good appearance when going out, and I don't feel like I am where I need to be just yet.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Banned Read only
    It is genetics. It is not choice. We have some genetic quirk that makes us this way. There is no doubt of this, to me.

My take is that, for me, gender and sexuality are fluid not binary and like Celeste said, the key is getting beyond the disapproval of others. I have always loved the feeling of femininity, even before I understood it or pursued it as I do today. I also loved the satin on the edges of blankets when I was a baby.

Tried to come up with a 'WHY' while explaining my CDing to my wife. I really don't know why, other than it feels good and makes me happy. Like trying to explain why one likes chocolate or pizza or a certain car or certain types of music. Psychologists can surmise all they want about what they perceive as the reason we dress, but all I know is that it makes me happy. And that trumps all the other reasons they may find.
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)