Thread: Crossdressers are like fruitcakes

Complex Lolita...

Crossdressers are like fruitcakes

Quote Originally Posted by LaraPeterson
    Nah! I'm just nuts--and you are too.
    [SIZE="2"]No, not THAT kind of fruitcake!

Fruitcakes tend to proliferate during the holiday season, and everyone seems to have an opinion about them, usually voiced in the negative. Also, a general dislike of fruitcakes is put forth in the media, based on something somebody said, or heard, as if the word “fruitcake” was a stand-alone punch line to a bad joke. Once upon a time, everybody encountered their first fruit cake, and an impression was formed, either good or bad. If you had eaten (or tried to eat) a bad fruitcake, you will remember it forever, and you will pass along the un-truth that ALL fruitcakes are BAD. On the other hand, if you have ever had a really good fruitcake, you will wonder what all the fuss is about – your first impression was a joy, and you will live in constant desire of more fruitcakes. Such a person in not afraid to try things, and they tend to form their own opinions...

How does this fruitcake dissertation relate to crossdressing? Well, how many people have formed an opinion of crossdressing based on their first encounter with this curious, yet natural, form of human behavior, in this instance a man dressing up as a woman? If the first crossdressing that you encountered was for comedic purposes, that impression will color your days. If you grew up in an intensely homophobic environment, perhaps reinforced by the company you insist on keeping, you will already have an opinion of crossdressers in place, no matter what people like me say (or write). If someone in authority told you that crossdressing, along with any other form of deviancy, was wrong, you will no doubt struggle with the urge to crossdress, beset by guilt and a sense of “right.” Just like the first fruitcake you encountered, you will always return to that first memory and tell others about it. How to turn a bad experience into a good one? It ain’t easy, my friends...

My mother made wonderful fruitcakes, more fruit than cake (VERY moist), and we had them year-round with our tea at 3 PM every afternoon. I never met a fruitcake I didn’t enjoy, but I haven’t gone round the world sampling every one, either – I assume there are a few bad ones out there. However, when I was a boy, nobody ever told me that crossdressing was wrong – I think it was beyond the topics that most parents of my generation would touch upon, which means I was looking beyond the pale in terms of probability. The first crossdressing that I came across was beautiful and NOT comedic. I kept thinking to myself, “Oh, I can do THAT...” Cool! I was a lucky boy, no doubt about it. When I first encountered drag I was disappointed (still am), since it was contrary to my first impression of crossdressing. Thanks to my loving sister, I grew up in a non-homophobic environment, with plenty of, “Don’t tell me what I can or cannot do...” and “You can do whatever you want” wafting into my tender mind. As such, I investigated, experimented, and explored to my heart’s content (still do). I know that all crossdressers, like all fruitcakes, are not alike because I come to everything with an already opened mind. I think that’s called being not prejudiced...

All things being considered, if my mother were alive today I would be deeply in the closet, since she would no doubt disapprove of her son’s...er...hobby. Of course, I could still under-dress and wear my panties during the daily fruitcake ritual, held under the trees outdoors if the weather was seasonal, or close to the wood-burning stove on chilly days. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks, just like you can’t change some people's opinions about fruitcakes, or opinions about the act of crossdressing, or opinions in general. Yeah, we MUST all be nuts! Please pass the sugar, I mean fruitcake, darling...

Have you ever enjoyed a really GOOD fruitcake? What was your first impression of MtF crossdressing? Are you now, or have you ever been, a fruitcake?
    [/SIZE]

Hi,

The best fruit cakes have nuts on them. as for the ...other... fruit cakes , yes they have ( .... ) on them as well just i steer clear of them. they are so not nice to know,

oh heck i never brought ours oh well still time & they do last , i dont just pig out ,

Jos & i used to make ours years ago so we as a family would have one each year yummy too, & yes lots of nuts,

...noeleena...

Are we tasty, at least?

Yes like a fruitcake. A lot of people think they do not like them but in fact have never tried it. They are expensive and take a long time to develop. They are often put away for years and hidden. I dearly love them.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I enjoy fruitcake, I have met a few, the computer world survives on them and nerds.
    Some are as nutty as a fruitcake as well!
    Some of my friends are fruitcakes but I still associate with them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    All of the above and best of all a very Merry Holiday and thanks for what Freddie does for us all.

Platinum Member
    Like cross dressing, the key to appreciating fruitcake is to try it. Now, I'm not saying all of humanity has to CDin order for us to understand and accept...but maybe if the meet just one of us and leave with a more favorable impression, they'll begin to experience a change of heart. Thanks Freddy!

Banned Read only
    See, I told you. . .we've moved from simple nuts to fruitcakes. I grew up with linen wrapped, bourbon-soaked, candied, dark brown fruitcakes. I loved them. They were not the grocery store variety. When someone in the house unwrapped one, everyone knew there was fruitcake in the house. Someone would complain, someone else would make a snide comment; I ate fruitcake. People used to stand in line for my mom's fruitcakes. She took orders for months before the holidays. She bought huge amounts of ingredients and stood for hours in the kitchen preparing them and then put them in a dark cool spot in our basement to age (I later understood that to mean let the alcohol take hold).

I still like fruitcakes. It's hard to find one like my mom made, so I guess I'll just have to BE the fruitcake. Like her bready, sweet treat, when someone takes off my wrapper, someone will complain, someone else will make an unkind comment but, every once in a while, someone will just enjoy the fruitcake. I still take hours to prepare this fruitcake; I take time with my makeup and clothes, I try to wrap it in a pretty package, but I rarely ever go to a dark, cool spot and I never add alcohol.

Without fear of blending metaphors, "Sometimes I fell like a nut, sometimes I don't." Happy New Year Freddy!

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar

I couldn't say it any better

Happy Holidays to all and now I have to go cut a slice of fruitcake to have with my coffee.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Read only
    That cartoon is cute!

We use to buy fruitcake because my wife loved them, in moderation. But alas, she has developed an allergy to one of the ingredients which makes she turn red (body rash) and have labored breathing. Now, we fore go the fruitcake. Hopefully, the cross dressing guy in her life does not cause a negative reaction.

Back in the 1960's I really do not recall any discussions about cross dressing. The consensus of opinion concerning gay men was not favorable. I guess I figured the consensus of opinion towards gay men also applied to any deviation from the norm.

My first impression of myself as a cross dresser was NOT favorable. It took a long time for moi to accept myself.

I dressed by myself as a child. Assumed I was the only one doing it. Then I moved to Paris in '80 to study, where I lived in a really cheap hotel. Despite the gawdawful rooms, it was inhabited by six drag queens. We became friends, and the first time I saw their show my fate was sealed. I loved them, their look, and natural outragiousness. Still have a very fond place in my heart for all the queens.-Celeste
    P.S. They REALLY were fruitcakes, bless them
    P.S.S. Fruitcakes are like South Beach. Take out the fruits and nuts, all you've got left is dough.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 12-26-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Every Christmas my grandmother made the most wonderful fruitcake. It was an applesauce base cake with tons of natural dried fruit. I don't know, if was the ingredients that made it taste so good or the Kentucky bourbon in which she soaked the cakes! So now I love fruitcake - and CDing.
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

An interesting post! I happen to like fruit cake! I suppose they got their "bad name" from someone who did not like the one that they tasted.

I also like CDs (most of them, anyway). Again, it would be interesting to know why so many people have such a bad opinion about us.
    Hugs, Carole

I suppose I've never had the privilege of sampling a GOOD fruitcake. Most that were attempted had the texture of an old truck tire. Fortunately, their wine-soaked aroma baited me every time. This seemed like waste of good wine though.

My first impressions of MtF crossdressers was favorable for the most part. I remember seeing a few in my early youth and wished that I had their nerve. However, I was never too impressed with drag queens. I just wanted to be a girl but never that flamboyant

As for me being a fruitcake, I think not. This reminds me of an old saying that went, "The whole world is crazy except for you and me, but I wonder about you at times." I may be a little unconventional now and then, but never a fruitcake (even if I smell like wine).

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

"Have you ever enjoyed a really GOOD fruitcake? What was your first impression of MtF crossdressing? Are you now, or have you ever been, a fruitcake?
    "

No, I was one of those unfortunate ones who only tried the bad fruitcake, hard, not so sweet or too sweet dried fruit and unappealing taste and texture. For about 10 years my Mom would keep a canned fruitcake in her refrigerator all year long. Then, every Christmas eve at her family dinner we would take it out of the fridge for a special toast to the "fruitcake" and then back into the fridge it would go for another year.

My first impression of crossdressing had nothing to do with that dreaded cake. It was wonderful. I have always been and will continue to joyfully be a big, old, young at heart and drying up fruitcake.

My mother made four cakes this holiday season, one with pineapple topping, one chocolate, one with a white icing-vulcanized-rubber look that everyone stayed
    away from and the most wonderful fruitcake you can imagine, passed down from several generations of Black mothers, filled with nuts and jellied candies and other
    chopped up things I couldn't identify. Just as the ingredients of a fruitcake, I doubt if my mother knows the identifying characteristics of, or the process by
    which her only son became a cd. CROSSDRESSING JUST HAPPENS. But good crossdressing like good fruitcake is just another high-calory, scandalous desire.
    dana

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    Freddie, Where do you come up all these amazing topics?
    I think I could spend a week in conversation with you and just barely scratched the surface of life.
    Yes i like fruitcakes, but its been many years since i got to enjoy one, since most of the people in my life have the bad stereotype stuck in their heads.
    And also yes, I would have to consider myself a fruitcake as well. I dont conform to convention, and as i get older, i am more independent with ME. I love the thrill of wearing a bra and my forms when i go shopping, and its fun to have my wife discover my ankle bracelet, after shopping for several hours. Tee hee.
    Merry Christmas Freddie, and Happy new year.
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Freddie, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time. Could you possibly use a bigger font so us older girls can read your posts? It's just a little too small for my old eyes.

Michelle
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd rather be considered a "fruitcake" than a "freak."

The only fruitcake I've ever tried was at a friend's house in the late 70s or early 80s. His family was raving about it and had me try a piece. I took one bite and decided it wasn't for me. To be polite, instead of announcing my distaste and throwing the slice away, I discreetly put it in my back jeans pocket for later disposal!

As for my first exposure to crossdressing, I would have to say that it was probably Bugs Bunny. Interestingly, in the new "Looney Tunes Show" on the cartoon network, he still dresses on occasion and has been disappointed when referred to as an unattractive woman. I also remember an 8mm Woody Woodpecker silent film we had at home where he was hitchhiking and put on a pair of hosiery display legs to get a ride.

Other than that it was Milton Berle, Jerry Lewis etc. The first serious crossdressers I saw was on the Donahue show when I was in high school. They actually looked like well dress women instead of some parody. Bit I still think Bugs Bunny looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle James View Post
    Freddie, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time. Could you possibly use a bigger font so us older girls can read your posts? It's just a little too small for my old eyes.

Michelle
    I was hesitant to say anything, but I was thinking the same thing today.
    Last edited by Joanie_Shakti; 12-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Yes, a cheap store bought fruitcake, like someone doing a half assed job at crossdressing is neither enjoyable nor desired.

One who takes the time to do it right, with good ingredients/articles of clothing, who starts by following a recipe/advice of others, and arranges the result for nice presentation, in the appropriate surroundings, not forcing it on people who are adamantly or ignorantly opposed to fruitcake/crossdressing, is ALWAYS in good taste and style.

When one shows competence and consideration for others, one is always welcome (assuming you intelligent enough not to do so in a southern baptist revival, al queda bingo parlor, papa johns, etc... ) :-)