Thread: Panic attack from not being able to dress?

Panic attack from not being able to dress?

So it's been a little while since I've been able to dress fully. Its been on my mind daily almost. The other day as we were all gathered for Christmas I swear I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I'm not sure if there is underlying stress, not feeling well or a true panic attack. Has anyone else ever felt this way or had a similar experince?

I've had panic attacks, but not due to lack of crossdressing. It was because of agoraphobia. I think your case is probably cumulative stress from being forced to be something you don't want to be. I guess the stress just exploded, and you had a panic attack or something similar. That's just my guess, though.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't get panic attacks from anything. The closest I ever come to that is losing my temper. Very rare now, in my golden years, but it was quite often when I was young.

What happens when I'm not able to dress, is the inability to fully concentrate on anything else for long. Because SOMETHING to do with dressing is always on my mind!

I solved this problem by dressing whenever the impulse struck me. No matter how inconvenient! Once I knew I could/would dress at the drop of a hat, the desire dropped off. And, I can go for weeks without CDing consuming my thots now!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I really do not think a lack of dressing would cause a panic attack. I suspect there is some underlying issue. If I were to venture a guess, it would seem more reasonable to experience a panic attack in a big family group setting because you fear someone did and will find out about your cross dressing.

For a fair number of people, including myself, CD'ing is relaxing. It can also be part of your identity, but one that might you might suppress, especially around people one might consider important and possibly unsympathetic.

So, throw in the loss of one form of relaxation, and then the constant pressure of knowing that you can't express who you are, and that can be stressful.

It's noticeable as the feeling is similar to one I get on any number of topics where I differ from family (religion/politics/etc). I don't get panic attacks, but I think I know what you mean, in terms of the stress, and how that could easily become that.

Banned Read only
    I had them when i was younger.After a night out,the next day i felt this terror of someone seeing me that i knew.Basically it was all in my mind.

Not a panic attack but definitely bad tempered and moody.
    Now days I dress all the time, very therapeutic.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've never had a full blown panic attack, but I've had several anxiety attacks due to pressure at work. This is a milder form of panic attack. If you ever have one, you don't have to wonder about it. You know what's happening.

My cure was to find a better job.

Platinum Member
    Not really panic....just a degree of frustration when I'm forced to be in male mode for days on end.

I have all kinds of free time to dress so my answer is no. I am out to my GF/SO so even if she was home, I could still dress if I chose to.

I have anxiety attacks from time to time when I am out in crowed places. This happens in drab so It has nothing to do with dressing but it does happen. Needless to say, Christmas shopping can be a real chore sometimes lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I would call it anxiety. Thinking about something else should have a temporary calming effect. Meditation with a mantra should do the trick.

Megan, I think it is a combination between not being able to dress and wanting to and the fact you were with family and friends and afraid they might find out, or know already, They were all going to turn and point there fingers saying crossdresser, corssdresser. I will be at a family gathering and someone will say something and I will think do they know. If it happens again just try to comm down, go out side for a minute. You take care Megan

Annaliese

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeganInUtah View Post
    So it's been a little while since I've been able to dress fully. Its been on my mind daily almost. The other day as we were all gathered for Christmas I swear I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I'm not sure if there is underlying stress, not feeling well or a true panic attack. Has anyone else ever felt this way or had a similar experince?
    Hi Megan,

No, I've not experienced that, but I've experienced the opposite. Having not dressed for about a month a short while ago, I had a major surge of euphoria when I finally dressed and had absolutely no control over it. I can't remember a time like it and I hope I don't have one again actually.

Being out of control in anything is something that naturally concern us.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I used to get very edgy but never had a panic attack.
    Now that I'm out and dress almost daily it never happens.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I only ever had a panic attack when I was younger and worried about getting caught. Now it is easier as I only keep it from about 4 people and those I work with.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I only get panicky when important stuff happens.... like the end of the world...... or my meter is about to run out....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Not a panic attack but definitely bad tempered and moody.
    That sums it up for me, too.

When I seem to be cranky and edgy the wife will sometimes mention that I need a few hours by myself. The reason goes unsaid but we both know a couple hours dressed can be very therapeutic.
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Thanks girls for all of the replies and comments. I'm going to work this thing backwards and see if I can't pin point the why?

hi Megan, as long as I take all my pills, the panic attacks are down to fustration when I am getting raged on by the family. However, they don't try to understand what is going on in the inside. When they get around to asking and trying to understand I will do my best to explain.

Alice

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Megan, There is a disconnect once we accept this aspect of our personality but realize we are unable to share it as often or as widely as we want. You have to work on finding a balance that incorporates the desires and opportunities. I've been there along with the others who say they've gotten cranky when unable to dress. Coming out to my wife was a great thing since it gave me many more opportunities to dress as I needed. Other things you can do may include some underdressing or wearing a piece of jewelry, like a necklace that can't be seen. Support, like this forum or your local support group can help as well. Knowing you will have the chance to dress, regardless of what you are facing at the moment can help as well.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Offhand, I would venture to say you need to get in touch with your feelings concerning this.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Thanks everyone...

For me, it's just, instead of wanting to be with a pretty girl, (I'm straight) I start feeling jealously towards pretty girls. But then, when I've feeling kind of depressed and helpless in life, I've noticed I always feel I identify more strongly as female. I guess it has to do with the "males need to be confident" thing that seems to hold true throughout the animal kingdom.