Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you !@#$%^& crazy?!?!?!?!

Are you !@#$%^& crazy?!?!?!?!

During Christmas, My So and I were out shopping and she wanted some new bras. As I stated earlier, I was hoping to get a new bra myself for christmas, which I did, but it wasn't wrapped or under the tree and such.

We don't do our shopping the traditional way any more. We shop together and have for a few years now. We still get each other 3-4 things to wrap that are surprises but I got nothing girly under the tree but I did get quite a few things that she did pick out and bought for me

Anyways, we are at the mall and decided to go into VS. Never been in there till that day and it was pretty damn crowed. So she is looking over various bra and pantie sets and says to me "go find what you want".

So I branch off into the madness to look around and see what catches my eye when a sale person approaches me and asks if she can help. Figuring what the hey, I told her my bra size and panty size (mind you, I didn't say they were for me nor did she ask who they were for), I wanted something lacey, and in black.

After looking at various sets we came to one that I absolutely LOVED. She told me the bra was $80 and the panties were $30. I said "excuse me" and walked over to my GF and said "um, we need to leave, now" After we left the store she asked what the problem was and I said "their prices" lol She laughed and wasn't finding much she liked anyways, thank GOD lol

$110 + tax seems an awful lot for a bra and Panty set that might be a bit nicer on the eye than the average Kmart set but is almost the same material from what I felt. Seeing I do not have real boobs, I couldn't justify to myself spending that much money. I see women do the same with heels and such.

So what I want to know is .....are you crazy? Would you spend that much on an item or have you? what is the most expensive item in your wardrobe?
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I have never bought an $110 bra and panty set, but I have $600 breast forms, two $200 wigs, a half dozen shapers and corsets that cost me about $70 on average, not to mention many shoes, sweaters, slacks and dresses that have cost me a few thousand all together, I'm sure. I'm not biologically female, and I suppose that some people would say I'm crazy. But for me, these items are part of my every day life.

Gold Member
    Never shopped at VS but yes $80 is insane. I think last time I spent that for bras, I bought 4 of them for $80 or less.

There isn't much point in spending a fortune on most any kind of clothing except things that will see a lot of abuse like tennies or a winter coat. Things that are just novelty will get old too quick anyways. So if you are thinking of going back to get it, don't even bother cause after the first couple wears, the newness will be gone and it will just be another bra/panty set crammed in your chest of drawers.

I think the only reason VS is still around is cause of their marketing. The fancy store, the sexy model photos etc. If they sold VS at some lame-o store like Kmart or walmart, no one would buy it, even people who had the money.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Ditto that -- there's lots of femm pretty stuff way lots cheaper - just look around VS is very spendy - for the wife any price for my self it better be pretty special and $30 is about my limit..................Debra

Well, VS does have some nice things. And yes, they are expensive. Here are some tips: wait for the semi-annual sales or signup for the VS card and they will send you periodic emails, some good for free or BOGO.

But yes, bras and panties can be expensive, regardless of whether you go to VS, JCP, or Kohls. But there are ways to get around all of those. There are lots of sales, usually BOGO or 6for and Kohls has clearance racks.

Just like anything else, there are ways around the price.

-stephani

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    The most I've spent is £140 (approx $200) on my breast forms so that kind of money on bra and knickers is ludicrous. Unless you're a millionaire type.
    Quality is something you splash out on, name brand is not.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Crap! They are nuts! Now I know to stay away from VS. Other than wigs and shapewear I haven't spent more than 40$ on anything.

You are presumably paying for the engineering, just like in a high priced imported car.

Besides, VS isn't in the business of selling bras and panties, they are in the business of selling dreams.

La Perla has a book out about their company history and the title says it all, "Lingerie and Desire."

You might want to check out their bras (click here).

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Not on bras etc.Don't blame you.However I can't take the high road about spending on Michellle.Taking a vacation and flying across the country just to have a week as michelle and now am considering laser for the beard.I guess I deprived her too many yrs and now she's getting even.
    If I knew where it was going to take me I probably would have put my mother's panties back.

I wear breast forms - 40C. I just went to the VS site and did a bra search on 40C Full Coverage. Since I don't like having any of the breatform showing from the bra, there was NOTHING that I would buy from VS.

So, no! I am not !@#$%^& crazy.

I am willing to pay $60 for a Wacoal or Spanx Bra, but not a $ for anything from VS.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I did buy a pair of VS panties once, but probably would never purchase a bra from them.
    Dana Ryan

Remember that every store has to sell a product at a high price at least once so they can give the impression that you are getting a massive discount later on. The holiday season is the worst time to shop at places like VS because they are catering to people (particularly husbands) who Must Find A Present and who will pay full prices. I've no doubt that the salespersons guide males toward the really high-priced merchandise, VS also sells a few high-end embellished bras during this season that cost even more.

That said, my family buys a lot of VS products. We all wear the bras, but seldom pay more than $25 for them because we wait for the sales. I like their full-coverage T-shirt bras as they hold everything in place securely and are as comfortable as a bra can be. I don't particularly like their panties as they are very narrow in the crotch and not suited to tucking.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Gee, I have quite a few bras and I'm not sure that I paid that much for all of them combined. I'd never pay $30 for a pair of panties (especially VS being so skimpy at that). I'd prefer to shop sales and get much more for that money. Guess I'm just a cheap B*(&^H at heart...LOL.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

everything at VS is above what I think I want to spend for underwear, and especially underwear no one else will see, and especially for underwear, if someone would see, would be shredded in the heat of the moment....oh sorry TMI huh?

It may be cute but it isn't any cuter than say Target or my favorite underwear store Burlington coat factory
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

That isn't a bra.....it is an emotional money mistake!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

There is a marked difference between cheap construction and a better made product. Walmart clothes, for example, may not withstand as many washings as more expensive brands. But, there are quality middle of the road products that perform just as well as the higher priced designer products.

So, people are buying into a hype, "the image", IMO. They like to feel as if they are getting an aesthetically "better" product, even though the performance is not significantly different. Really, with modern fabric manufacturing, is there a marked difference between a lace that is made in France on old looms, and a lace made of quality fabric on a commercial loom?

Edit - People who have money to burn need to spend it somewhere, I guess.
    Last edited by ReineD; 12-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Reine

I must admit that when it comes to buying for me I am a cheapskate , seeing that it is January sales time you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Yes, that is expensive, we never buy from VS. As ReineD said, there are very cheap items out there that don't hold up, and many good quality mid cost range items that are as good and sometimes better than the big name manufacturers.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne f View Post
    you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down
    you actually said that with a straight face?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by joanne f View Post
    i must admit that when it comes to buying for me i am a cheapskate , seeing that it is january sales time you should have asked her if her panties were likely to come down
    what ?????????????????????
    "Do not wish to be anything but what you are."
    ~Saint Francis de Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    you actually said that with a straight face?
    Well if I had given even a little hint of a smile there could have been a very very small chance that it would have been misunderstood
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Why yes I am. Crazy, that is. But, I would never pay that kind of $$$ for underwear.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

OK, I have bought several bras from VS. All of them the same kind -- soft cups made from a cotton-stretchy material. Each cost me about $20. They fit well, are comfy, and are lasting a long time.
    The most expensive thing I ever bought was my hair (replacement system) which cost me more than I care to admit.
    Eryn -- I agree with you on VS panties -- much too narrow in the crouch.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    We all wear the bras, but seldom pay more than $25 for them because we wait for the sales.
    Thats is how I feel about VS wait til they go on sale. I do enjoy the attention that the SA pays to me when I go there, for some reason it's more fun going in drab. BTW, I will never pay that much for a bra. LP

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    La Perla has a book out about their company history and the title says it all, "Lingerie and Desire."

You might want to check out their bras (click here).

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    OK, Persephone wins. $72 for a men's V-neck @ La Perla? Crazy.
    But Jami likes the look of their bras and shapeware, very much!

I've been struggling with the odd size issue (large band, small cup) and I've found several sites with a lot of potential, but have yet to follow through. The one key part of that potential was the prices are very reasonable ($30-$60) for the special fits they offer. http://www.lindasonline.com/ is my favorite.
    ciao!
    TANSTAAFL!