Thread: Funny story

Funny story

Sometimes I'm a bad person. Occasionally, I will light-heartedly bust some random guy obviously carrying his wife purse by saying something like "Nice purse" or "I like 'your' purse." I always mean it as a joke, because I've occasionally been embarassed myself when carrying my wife's purse for her. Today, however, the joke was on me.

I was in the waiting room of the blood lab when a woman sitting with her husband was called into the lab and he dutifully followed behind her carrying "her" purse. So I did my usual and said, "Nice purse". He turned to me and said, "Thank you" and then continued following his wife to the lab. Then he turned back to me and said, "My daughter gave it to me. It's my pride and joy." I was kind of shocked by his reply, but managed to respond, "That's wonderful" as he left the waiting room.

Later, when I saw them leaving, I noticed that his wife had her own purse, and that this was really his purse. He wasn't busting me back; it really was his purse.

Isn't that some kind of wonderful?

Oh, and for those that care, I mentioned something about purses when we walked by the Kate Spade and Vera Bradley stores at the local outlet mall, and my wife said,

"They're not called 'purses' any more. That's what your mother would have called them. They're called 'hand bags'."
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Don't they make a product now called man bags? I am starting to notice that a lot of women aimed products are starting to get a men's version but it's still not the same and I can not fathom why.

I laughed that you got called out on his purse but I am wondering, do you ask this to try and find sisters while you are out? Is it a coping mechanism for when your purse is absent? or does it help you with denial about your cding?

Not trying to sound snappy or anything, or trying to imply anything either, just curious
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Platinum Member
    They say that turn about is fair play. In this case, your quip was turned inside out. Great story!

I still think a hand bag and a purse are two different items.
    I do like the reverse joke on you though.
    When I make a comment like that and it backfires, I say, "shut up Beverley", under my breath.
    It is called foot in mouth disease.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Wait a min .....I carry my "hand bag" even in guy mode ...only time I get crap bout it is at the local Auto .Zone

Awesome story! It is funny that this subject came up. In guy mode I use a camoflauge soft tackle box made by Plano that my wife bought me. I wanted a new luch box that had a few compartments and such and she just bought that. It works. I not only carry my lunch to work but I also carry a few meds that I may need, my day planner, work gloves, etc.

If you carry a bag as a guy I think it is called a "murse".

I know a few guys that carry a small backpack for their stuff. Sometimes they'll sling one loop over a shoulder when having to carry other things but never wear it on their back, always carry it in their hand. Since I have to drag a laptop around with me at work I keep everything in that bag.

Names matter. While I do carry a woman's bag in guy mode, I don't refer to it as a purse or handbag because I wear it over my shoulder—so it's a shoulder bag.

I also wear jewelry as a guy. When a sharp-tongued woman commented on my "necklace," I answered: "Men don't wear necklaces. Men sometimes wear chains, and sometimes beads. These are beads."

Aspiring Member

I too carry a purse

Actually I use shoulder bags. I have 3 of them and I rotate through them for no reason I can explain other than, "it seemed like a good idea at the time". My take on names: shoulder bags have a long strap and can be worn over the shoulder while handbags have shorter 'handles' and are carried in the hand. Both fall under the category of "purses". My wife and I refer to them as "bag", "purse" or "shoulder bag" with no evident preference. "Murse" is never used.

I also wear earrings and necklaces, either chains or beads as the mood hits. I've never had any negative comments so I can't say how others react. However a salesclerk complemented me on my light pink fingernail polish, that surprised me. And yes, the clerk was being nice.

All part of life,
    Sandra1746

"It's not a purse, it's European!" - Jerry Seinfeld (European Carry-All)

"Yes, I carry Purse!" - Jerry Seinfeld

Gold Member
    My wife is somewhat Handy-Caped; So she needs a walker or Wheel Chair to get around.
    Most of the time I carry her Purse, as so not to over burden her, and she might lose her
    balance.
    Well I get the "Hat, Cute Purse" Thing also. Well my Wifes every day purse is sort of a tan color.
    I usually have a light brown wind-breaker coat; So I say Thank you, it matches my coat.
    My wife starts laughing, and i just smile.
    Rader

girly girl
    Great story, Steffi. The hipster in me needs to remember not to call them purses anymore.

Nobody here remember Allen from 'The Hangover'?

"It's not a purse...it's a SATCHEL!!!"
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila11 View Post
    If you carry a bag as a guy I think it is called a "murse".
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Joanne View Post
    Don't they make a product now called man bags?...
    Those terms, "murse" and "man bag" were invented by people who were insecure about the terms "purse" or "hand bag" and who wished to ridicule men who carried purses. I'm not insecure so I carry a purse.

"Crowns in my purse I have..." [Petruchio, in The Taming of the Shrew]
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I have been using a purse for years, ever since I had a surgery and have had to carry things with me. I always use a shoulder style because of convenience. I also went to using a women's style wallet because they are more practical. Comments from others I simply either ignore or comment back depending on my mood. And yes, I do carry my Wife's purse some of the time as well as my own so there isn't any doubt that it has to be mine. My comments "try it" you will like it.

Recently, my wife ane I were visiting friends. After dinner we started playing a game called Apples to Apples where you are dealt cards upon which names of people or item descriptions are printed. The objective is to match one of these cards to an adjective called out by the dealer. Words like 'idiotic', 'silly', 'wimpy' were often matched with a card showing 'man bag'. Yeah, we all laughed.

Upon leaving I grabbed the camera bag I use to carry my glasses and cell phone. Our friend (woman) came up to me and started teasing me about how this must be my man bag and was surprised to see I was using one especially after the card game we played. All I did was explain what I used it for and how the padding in the bag helped by not scratching the lenses. She immediately changed her tone from teasing to support saying that was perfect and how she wants to get the same thing.

Be it a purse, carry bag, man bag, camera bag, satchel, or whatever...if it works for you, use it.

Women don't carry one of these bags because they're women, they carry the bag because that's the best way they can haul their 'stuff'. Given the option, my wife prefers to NOT carry a bag.

-just my two cents worth-
    Tina_n

I also carry a hand bag it is a small back pack type Hugs Ronda
    hugs
    Ronda

It seems a bit odd to me to carry a (purse, bag, anything you want to call it), and then get paranoid about it, after the fact. Wear it with pride, and make no excuses.-Celeste

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar
    I carry a Multi Compartment Black Nylon Bag, can be worn on waist, over shoulder or with handle on top.
    It keeps things out of my Pockets in boy mode. It is not realy a "womans" article, but my Wife refers to it as
    "Your Purse"
    Never a word from any one.
    (((HUGGS)))
    JoanAz

I just wish I could get my wife to carry a bag. Any bag would work, she always has everything in her pockets. I use a soft case.like for laptops. it ends up that I carry everything.
    Whatever, I along wthe a lot of men are the best dressed mules you will ever see. LOL
    Best to all for the new year.
    Wonderwho
    .... and someday I too will become a butterfly screamed the catapiller!!!

I worked with a guy who carried a shoulder bag, and the guys in his department called it his 'fag bag.' I have a bag I carry at work, but no one ever comments on it. I'm not sure why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I have carried "Cross Body' bags for years. I am currently carrying a Coach cross body bag. My pink, and my lavender Coach Cross Body bags are packed away, waiting for Spring to arrive. I have several designer bags also. My favorite is one that my wife gave me for fathers day about 3 years ago. A Kathy Van Zeland tie dye cross body bag, and it is a fabulous bag or purse. If I could find another, I would buy it and put it away for when this one can no longer be carried due to wear and tear.
    I also often wear ear rings out while I am carrying my purse. As Erin mentioned above, carry your purse, and wear your ear rings as if it were the most natural thing in the world. When someone comments, and they will, just smile, say thank you and keep on going.
    Since I have started carrying a purse, I always know where my keys, plant ID, cell phone, matching ladies wallet, etc are. No looking for stuff, again, just grab your purse and out the door.

Our 4 year old grandson received a leapfrog game player and what my wife called a purse for Christmas. Our grandson turned to my wife and said "it's not a purse, it's a satchel!"