Thread: working dreams

working dreams

If you could, would you ever work in women's clothing store? And not just happen to work at a Nordstrom or a Macy's, but actually work at a place like a Lane Bryant, Catherines, Dress Barn, Victorias Secret or other store where it is just womens clothing and includes items you would want to buy. I think that would be fun, especially if you could undress dress or dress en femme if you wanted without concern.

I guess for me my real dream is to open a lingerie boutique in a progressive city and stock it the way I want. I would make no secret that it is my store and it is open to all lifestyles. Men, CDs, GGs, TVs, MTFs, whoever could shop there without worry or shame, and could try things on as they like. I'd make sure it was stocked with "real" lingerie ... not just microfiber panties or no show thongs, but pretty lingerie and real panties like Olgas, Vanity Fair briefs in pretty colors, and all the satin lingerie I could find. I would also have a vintage section, and to me the key ... a section for custom made lingerie. Not just bras, but anything ... especially custom panties for men. I can never find the panties I want in the size, color, fabric, or frills. I would be my own best customer desigining high waisted granny panties using charmeuse fabric with lots of lace on the waistband and bows adorning the legs.

Sigh --- a boy can dream. Does that sound good to anyone else?

I've often fantasized about where I could work dressed up all the time, and how it would feel to interact with customers in that mode.

Best idea I came up with was very similar to your solution...a store that caters to CDers (along with GG's, etc). I wouldn't want to deal with the accounting/paperwork side of things, but perhaps being an inventory buyer and customer service rep/consultant would be a thrill. After all, who knows what looks best on a woman than a man! LOL
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

I'd like to open a tea/coffee shoppe. A place where there could be poetry readings, gatherings, presentations on feminine and transgernder issues, etc... Beautiful music, art, crafts. A place homey, comfy, and so very open and accepting. Oh that would be a dream.

girly girl
    I've never dreamed of working in a women's shop, but I do like to dream of getting locked inside one, all by myself for a night. Even if I didn't get to keep or buy anything, just "having my way" with the entire stock for a night sounds heavenly...

Abby, think it's safe to say we've all been there. Nothing like a little alone time between you and the countless racks of "YES, they're all mine."

Working in your dream job!! That truly would be fantastic. It is like being in DSW (shoes). I would never have enough money to get all the shoes I want. A lingerie shop would be truly heaven! Just one girls opinion though.

Edy

Right! Working for minimum wage is a dream of mine! lol... hell none of my dreams have any work involved period!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Silver Member
    I wouldn't have the patience to work/have a store selling lingerie. At first it sound great. Help women fit bras. NOT unless they were young beautiful women full of desire. I love women and I love lingerie. I'd be arrested.

With what I know today and my experience I would probably open a bar where one and all could dress as chosen. Other than that I would live as I do now and dress as chosen and to h#ct with those that don't like it.

I did work at a women's clothing store (The Limiited) as a stock boy when I was in high school. Way too scared to buy anything for myself. Only one item I ever tried on hiding in the back room, a pair of spandex satin black pants. Strange thing of that is I almost never wear pants now when I dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbygirl View Post
    I've never dreamed of working in a women's shop, but I do like to dream of getting locked inside one, all by myself for a night. Even if I didn't get to keep or buy anything, just "having my way" with the entire stock for a night sounds heavenly...
    I still walk through a store sometimes and try to figure out what I'd wear if I were locked in for the night ♡

I think that just about any job would be less than ideal if you look at the whole picture.

On the surface, working at Dress Barn sounds like a hoot. Then you start and find out that you have to deal with many tasks outside of helping customers. Inventory, retagging, rearranging merchandise, etc. can get pretty tedious.

On top of this you will have a boss that pushes you to move the merchandise. According to an insider site the sales standard at Dress Barn is $100 for every person that walks into the store. Since the boss' job is dependent upon your sales performance you will feel a lot of pressure if you don't deliver!

Add to this, not every customer is as nice as we are. You'll have to deal with rude, obnoxious people at times, always with a smile, lest someone complain about your service. You'll have customers pressure you to give them unwarranted discounts and even some that will blatantly take merchandise right off the rack and try to get a refund for it.

See what I'm getting at? It's much more fun to be a customer!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I noticed our local Lane Bryant does have a male employee, he checked me out; let me rephrase that, He rang up my purchases the last time I was in the store. I was in male mode at the time. Kind of scruffy looking sideburns and thick eyebrows, so I don't think he is one of us, but then again you "never know"! Never thought I would say I envy a salesperson who is probably working long hours and for probably minimum pay, but I kind of do!
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Hugs,

Carla

http://flickr.com/photos/carla4guage/

Well, I DO work at a store that sells Women's clothes. Including underwear, but sadly, not Lingerie. These days, I don't often work the women's section, but I did in the early days. I found it quite nice to work the changing rooms, which mostly involved rehanging the merchandise. Yes, after the doors close, I've been known to keep back a skirt in my size and try it on. I've even bought a pair of women's pants. The excuse I gave was they were on sale, and the men's version wasn't. Also, they fit perfectly. Is it fun? Yes, but mostly because the company is awesome to the staff. Getting to handle all the lovely fabrics is nice in itself. These days, I'm thinking of myself less as a crossdresser, and more as a guy who appreciates the options women have in their clothing choices.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Banned Read only
    My dream job involves being a waitress at a restaurant. I'd love having the opportunity to dress up in a white sheer blouse that would show my lacy white bra and lacy white slip, and, a black skirt of various lengths, sheer black hosiery, and, black heels. Of course, that would be an ideal CDer job when I was in college. A nice pat on the rump on occasion would be OK too as long as the tips were good.

I think once you get absorbed in the job, the clothing becomes immaterial. When I dress for the day and do chores around the house, I actually forget my attire. It becomes so natural it really isn't a thrill anymore. I think you self employed CDers know what I mean. After all you still have to get your tasks finished.

When I was younger I did work in a womens wear section of a dept store for about 2 months.
    Then I was moved to hardware. Sigh!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

About 10 years ago, I worked for about 2 years at a New York & Co store. It started out as Christmas help for my friend, the store manager. She discovered that I was one of her most dependable employees, so I was asked to stay on. It is a job that I could do and do well. To work in a store like that can be fun, but it is also a lot of long, tiring hours. Try being on your feet for 10 hours on a hard floor with one 15 minute break in the middle. One learns very quickly why the experienced SA does not work a shift in high heels. They knew I was a cd and it was not a problem. I was able to buy merchandise using my store discount. Any buying must be done after your shift is over, and any employee must be checked out by the manager on duty.

Work dressed in a store like that? Never. It is serious business. You are on the floor to assist customers and sell merchandise. You are not on the floor to play games. Add to all this the standard store inventory, housekeeping chores and dealing with miserable, rude customers. All this for minimum wage.

A dream job? Not in this lifetime.

Jodi

maybe if it were all wedding and prom dresses.

I have a TG GF that does work in a woman's clothing store.

When I was much younger I worked as a janitor on third shift in a department store. I worked with three other men. I loved it when it was my turn to work in the ladies department. It took about five hours to clean and gave me ample opportunity to look at the 'goodies'. On two separate ocassions I was able to dress alone in the store. The first time only allowed me about an hour to dress. The second time allowed me about four hours. There was no surveillance of the store at that time so I could go anywhere in the store that I liked. I spent my time cleaning in the store and I loved it. The other two men came back a bit earlier than planned but I was able to avoid them seeing me because it was such a huge store. They asked how everything went and that was that. They were amazed that I got so much cleaning done though.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Right! Working for minimum wage is a dream of mine! lol... hell none of my dreams have any work involved period!
    Good answer Karren. Maybe owning the store would be a better dream. Or make it a chain of stores.

I always wanted to work in a high end shoe store and make sure there were wide sizes in stock. But a clothes store with shoes would be fun too.