Thread: Flying Home for Christmas

Flying Home for Christmas

I left on Dec 22, 2012 and flew back to Dallas, TX to meet the wife and have Christmas with our son. I did something really different. I flew as a female. This was the first time I have ever done this and it was a gas. I did have a little problem going thru the first stage of TSA where they check your ID and ticket. The TSA agent was having a problem with my looks and my picture on my DL. I smiled and quietly suggested he call his supervisor over. He did and showed his supervisor my ID. The supervisor looked at my DL and then at me. All of a sudden he said, “Are you a..” and I quickly answered, “Yes”. He then pulled the agent away from the post and and quietly informed him of the situation. He then handed my ID and ticket back to me and said, “Thank you Mam”. I then did the next stuff. Taking my boots off, coat off, put everything on the conveyer and walk into the scanner. I exit the scanner and they want to do a pat down. I said, “OK” and this nice female TSA agent did the pat down. As I turned around I could see the scanner screen and it showed two big yellow objects at chest height. I chuckled that they were where my forms were. After the pat down, I was cleared. I got my stuff, moved out of the way, put my boots on, my coat, grabbed my carry on and continued to the gate. All in all, really no problem at all. I also traveled back to DC as a female. I had the same problems coming back. Same problem with my looks and my ID and again I tripped the scanner but this time it was because my top has metal threads. The scanners don't like metal threads in garments. LOL So if your out to the public and plan on traveling by air as a female, it is really a no-brainer. Just be aware that not all agents has had experience with TG people, but nothing that will prevent you from traveling as a female. The only reason I asked for the supervisor was to help educate the agent that was checking tickets and ID. If your day-to-day looks has really changed compare to your picture on you DL, then it may be time to see about getting a new one. Back in Texas, you can get both a DL and a State ID card. Many girls will get a State ID card with their female picture on it and use it when they travel. I never got one because until I came to DC I wore a wig. When I got here to DC, I started letting my hair grow out and recently got it fem styled, so my looks and my Texas DL are at odds. I don't plan on changing my DL because at present my perm residence is still Dallas, TX. Once the house sells and wife and cats move here then I will get a new VA DL and my picture will then match my looks.

Great story, and some good advice

Congrats.Sounds like a rewarding, fun experience even with the few inconveniences and well done on educating the officer.

Congrats Joann on joining the club. I have only had one TSA agent among dozens not know what to do with the DL looking male and me not. On my last trip, the ticket agent responded to my "I'm transgendered" comment with "Not a big deal."

Enjoy your next trip.

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

I don't fly much internally but I prefer not to push buttons traveling internationally.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

JoAnn,

Thanks for posting this. I had a similar experience with a TSA agent who apparently was not enlightened about TG people and her supervisor set her straight. I once asked a TSA agent about this and he said his training included gender sensitivity. I wanted to get a FLA ID with my femme photo, but now the state doesn't issue second ID's. I use my passport and other than the incident I described, haven't had a problem.

So ... the more we fly pretty, the more they will know us!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Just curious, flying out of Dulles or Reagan? I will be flying pretty out of Reagan in a bit over a month.

Gondor,

I've flown pretty out of DCA several times with no issues. I remember several years ago I was flying "drab" out of National and a person of ambiguous gender was stopped by TSA. Prior to a patdown, s/he was asked "Would you rather be checked by a male or female agent?" I thought that was very considerate.

Enjoy your trip!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Senior Junior Member Lisa Renee's Avatar
    I noticed on the TSA site that there is now a listing for transgendered. It pretty much explains what we would go through if flying pretty
    Lisa Renee

Quote Originally Posted by GondorRachel View Post
    Just curious, flying out of Dulles or Reagan? I will be flying pretty out of Reagan in a bit over a month.
    I flew out of Reagon.

Hugs,

JoAnn