Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the Novelty Worn Off for Anyone Else? Does the Thrill Return?

Has the Novelty Worn Off for Anyone Else? Does the Thrill Return?

Kindred spirits, I ask for advice from your experiences.

Just before the holidays I came out to my wife of 12 years and she has been wonderfully accepting and supportive. I've shaved my legs every day for the last 3 weeks, often right in front of her, and have underdressed many days. Last night as I packed my suitcase for a business trip, I did so wearing the satin robe she purchased for me and a pair of off-black hose over shaved legs. No big deal, right?

Well, it wasn't a big deal, and that's my problem. I felt such a naughty thrill a few weeks ago. I pushed the envelope by purchasing three pair of stiletto pumps with her knowledge, and she accepted that--though she was not overly happy when she saw the full effect. But then she said heels were OK except for bed, and in fact she complimented me on them and even suggested I buy her a similar pair in her size. So far, so good, right? I crossed the line by telling her I wanted to buy a skirt when we were exchanging her gifts. That unsettled her and we had a serious talk--I reassured her I would respect her, didn't want to be a woman, etc. So we kind of shifted into a new normal...now as we get ready for bed, I take off my male clothes, and if underdressed I put on my satin robe, or if not, first I make a show of putting on a pair of pantyhose or stockings. I suppose I am testing her acceptance. Since we usually wind up making love--this after a cooling period in our marriage--she has been very, very appreciative. So again, I was feeling good about all this.

Here's the thing. I purchased a few skirts online because I wanted to see how they looked, and had them shipped to my work. I did that behind her back. But now that they have arrived, and I did my obligatory posing in them (pic attached) I am very surprised to feel very blasé.

No real thrill at all. I'm sitting here in my hotel room with smooth legs, a new pair of pantyhose, a skirt, and a nice pair of pumps--and I feel let down. I'm wondering if maybe I need my wife to see me, to be with me, to feel I am doing something taboo, to be excited by this? I remember when she was trying on her Christmas gifts, some gorgeous clothes from BCBG, including some pencil skirts that looked like they were painted on her, and I was sitting there with my sheer hose, 5" stilettos, and seeing her in hose and heels and then seeing them on myself was overwhelmingly exciting.

My question to the forum is if the novelty wears off, or if it comes and goes, or if maybe I am just a fetishist? I would love to dress completely but I would not look remotely feminine from the waist up, and that would ruin the illusion. Maybe I have achieved all I can, and feel disappointed I will never make my outward appearance match what's in my head? If I could snap my fingers and be a decent looking woman, I would want to try that, but the process to reach that goal in real life just seems so exhausting, and would come at such a cost.

Have any of you gotten bored or tired of cross dressing? I'm thinking of just packing up my stuff and waiting until I get the strong urge again.

It feels nice to sit here in heels and hose, and finally a skirt, but I feel bad because I bought the skirts without her knowledge. She is not here to caress my legs or share in the experience. I think part of the excitement for me is precisely that she knows (at least about everything else) and without her it's no fun. I feel bored, stupid and lonely.

I'm rambling, but I wonder if I have just had my fill and it's time to take a break.

Any of you ever feel like this?

Shibumi
    Attached Images Attached Images

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    actually no. My wife always knew about my crossdressing and never had a problem with it, but about a year ago I told her I really wanted her to participate since i was mostly doing it alone. Since then it has been wonderful. We go out and shop together and she plays photographer whenever i dress up. Its not the thrill of being deceiptful that i miss. I totally like here acceptance and participation.

Guess what, you've grown! You've gone from the 13-year-old girl experimenting with makeup behind her mother's back to an adult woman confidently using makeup, all in the space of a month. It takes GGs a decade to do that!

Gone is the thrill of the forbidden. It's been replaced with a sense of familiarity, a much different sensation.

Don't forget that you've also acquired the responsibility of holding up your end of the relationship. Remember that this is not all about you. You have to show your wife how much you appreciate her acceptance. You should both gain from the new equilibrium in your relationship.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Hi Shibumi.My wife has never really participated so when I get to the chance dress up it it is always a thrill.Maybe if it was something that happened everyday maybe that thrill would lessen but I think it would be something I would still enjoy.I love exploring my female side.I know how you feel about stupid and lonely though, one on the unfortunate side effects of my dressing up .As for taking a break by all means if that's how you feel.Don't do it because you think you have too though only if you want too.
    Last edited by KiwiKate; 01-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Plucked her eyebrows on the way Shaved her legs and then he was a she
    Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side - Lou Reed

Depends on what part of the thrill you are wondering about. For the most part this thing is a life sentence....it may wane at times but it never goes away.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I think it is deferent for all of us. Some here have said it ‘comes and goes’ and others say it is always the same.
    I suspect it’s all about if we are just excited by the clothes [A crossdresser] or like me have a real feminine side to us. [Trans something but I never get my head around the labels]
    And then there is the crossdresser that seems to drift towards it being more than just the dressing as they age and then it becomes a way of life, a part of who we are.
    I am always happy and satisfied lounging around the house in an old sweater and tatty skinny jeans as long as I am dressed as my inner female side likes.

I also go through phases of desire to dress. I have a meter inmy head that shows me between "extreme pink fog" to "I just am not interested today". I cannot explain any reason for for the swings but I know they do occur. For me my passion tends to wane slowly but seems to recurr with much greater speed.

I agree with others here. Your passion to dress may diminish from time to time but never goes away.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Platinum Member
    Don't sell yourself short. There came a time not so long ago when simply getting dressed wasn't enough for me. I wanted to be out in the real world, to interact with people and be open with those closest to me. The clothes lose power, but your life can be enriched.

For me it is past the novelty stage it is becoming a part of every weekday life. I am beginning to think as dressing is the norm and going back into boy mode is because I have to. As an example I am sitting here dressed at present but will have to semi-change shortly as today is my signing on day at the job centre at 2.25pm. The only time dressing wears a bit thin is the time it takes to get ready and change back at the end of the day. In boy mode I can be ready to go out in 10 minutes in girl mode about an hour. No longer do I nag my wife when she takes a long time to get ready but at least she does not need to shave.

Maria

There's alot of good points here, but no one touched on one. I think for most of us, it starts with a sexual gratification stage. Mine didn't last long, but we're all different. Then the sexual part goes away, and CDing becomes more of a relaxation/stress reduction thing. A wearable martini. Finally comes the 'It's just who I am stage.' -Celeste

There is no loss of interest for me. Since I came out to my wife and she is accepting I've been able to be ME more than ever in my life and it is simply more fulfilling each day. I no longer hide and sneak and of course that "thrill" is gone, but then so is the worry about being caught and the guilt over the time I stole from her.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    I would say that the feelings from taboo dressing to open cross dressing is different and I enjoy the ability to talk to my wife about this than when I hid it from her. If you are hiding purchases but open to your wife, something is amiss. Maybe that is the taboo rush you are looking for. I find it far more of a "rush" to talk to my wife about a dress I want to buy than to just buy it.

And after two days in Las Vegas where I went out both nights in girl mode, the thrillis always still there. Just different but thrilling none the less
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 01-10-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi
    Has the Novelty Worn Off for Anyone Else? Does the Thrill Return? Have any of you gotten bored or tired of cross dressing? I'm thinking of just packing up my stuff and waiting until I get the strong urge again.
    [SIZE="2"]George Harrison once said that “everything goes in cycles.” He was speaking cosmologically, as it relates to human existence, but you can certainly think of crossdressing as a cyclical passion. I have never gotten bored of CD’ing, but I’ve taken steps to keep the bloom ON the rose. For one thing, I don’t dress-up all the time. I delay pleasure, and look forward to a special time when I’ll be able to dress and heighten the experience of whatever I’m doing. Spontaneity is incorporated into this way of doing things – I know I want to dress, I know I will be dressing, but I don’t know quite when. That helps. I may decide to go out and do something, bringing my CD world along for the ride, or I may just walk around the house doing everything I normally do, but crossdressed. Of course, I’m lucky to be in a situation where I can dress-up all the time, since my sister knows about me, but I choose not to – this serves to alleviate boredom…

On the other hand, I’ve never purged my CD stuff, but I have put it away (not too FAR away, mind you) from time to time. I just wait for the cycle to come around again, and, trust me, it will
    [/SIZE]

If you want the thrill to return, purge (everything). It's guaranteed to come back.
    Really, just kidding. Don't purge.

Banned Read only
    If you do not feel the need to dress, don't! There is nothing wrong in taking a "vacation." Life is all about balance. The issue I see with you buying the skirts after your wife gave a mild objection was your desire for reaffirmation. I see her reluctance as not wanting to progress from a fetish (hosiery) to appearing more and more as a woman. She probably thinking the heels are giving you the desired womanly stance, hips and legs, maybe a wiggle? Add a skirt? Now we have the lower half of you dolled up as a woman. Half man, half woman! Next? I'm very sure it would not take too much effort to convince yourself to buy a top. I suspect your wife fears seeing her manly man slowly disappear into someone she was not expecting.

Sometimes the boundaries are explicitly stated, some times they are implied.

Cross dressing is a serious issue in a marriage. Listen to your wife's words and body language.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Guess what, you've grown! You've gone from the 13-year-old girl experimenting with makeup behind her mother's back to an adult woman confidently using makeup, all in the space of a month. It takes GGs a decade to do that!

Gone is the thrill of the forbidden. It's been replaced with a sense of familiarity, a much different sensation.

Don't forget that you've also acquired the responsibility of holding up your end of the relationship. Remember that this is not all about you. You have to show your wife how much you appreciate her acceptance. You should both gain from the new equilibrium in your relationship.
    That's one school of thought, another is - what if this is a case of CD burnout? It happens. We don't all have to be a member of this club for life.

As with every one of my hobbies, they are cyclical. Although CDing is more than a hobby, it still falls into that overall category, as it's something I like to do when I can.

Don't wear yourself out by pondering "is this all there is?" Although we've communicated that we both have totally non-passable upper-bodies, my overall desire never goes away, but it does ebb and flow. And I also have been on business trips, sitting in my hotel room fully dressed (sans makeup), and having those similar thoughts.

I'm at the point where I can and do wear pantyhose 24/7, even though I have to keep it hidden from everyone but the wife. I'm grateful I can do it but there are those days when I might not even notice I have them on. Of course, there are other days I'm totally tuned in and slightly turned on every time I move my legs...it just depends. Remember, it's YOUR hobby...enjoy it when you WANT to!
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Nondressing CDer ReluctantDebutant's Avatar
    I came to the same crossroads back in october. I wasn't just bored I too was getting disappointed in my look as wells as getting fed up with doing the same old thing. I couldn't think of a way to change what I was doing and still feel comfortable. So I Stopped CDing. At least until I feel I can do something that will be new and fun. I have slipped once since then gave into an urge to do the same old thing only to be unrewarded with zero fun. I am begining to think I have developed some sort of CDing callouse. It would be folly to say I have quit for good i will just let nature take its course on this. Life has been calm without it and I can't really say that i would care if it ever came back.
    Last edited by ReluctantDebutant; 01-08-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Shibumi, I can only relate to one part of your experience. Because I don't have a partner and I dress mostly for myself.

I was so disgusted with my facial look in my mirror when I began, I nearly quit dressing before I got serious about it. I was 50 back then and all I saw in my mirror was a skinny old man in a dress. What I wanted to see was a young, pretty woman who didn't resemble me.

Now, well over 10 years later that is what I see! And, if anything, my dressing is more exciting than ever! If u want something badly enuff, u can often make it happen!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-09-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I miss the thrill of dressing enfemme, however I do enjoy the sense of belonging while dressed enfemme, and the freedom I feel when wearing a dress. I can understand how you feel right now because you want to share the moments with your wife. and you seem to have regrets now for buying those clothes without telling her. Just tell her when you get home what you bought, and then model them for her to see. Crossdressing is never boring for me, I enjoy wearing dresses, it is more for feeling better about myself, and being comfortable in my skin. I am sure when you get back home to your wife the desire to dress and to share it with her will make it not boring anymore.

Yeah, I remember the thrill of dressing. That's pretty much gone now, and I don't miss it. Recently I've discovered a new thrill: actually being out in the world as yourself. Will that thrill fade? Quite possibly. But I won't stop doing it--because it's me.

I think the question is: are you looking for a thrill or are you looking for yourself?

When you start out it is excitement all the way, as you progress goals and excitement are still there but it is a different aspect of dressing.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
    Kindred spirits, I ask for advice from your experiences.

Just before the holidays I came out to my wife of 12 years and she has been wonderfully accepting and supportive. I've shaved my legs every day for the last 3 weeks, often right in front of her, and have underdressed many days. Last night as I packed my suitcase for a business trip, I did so wearing the satin robe she purchased for me and a pair of off-black hose over shaved legs. No big deal, right?

Well, it wasn't a big deal, and that's my problem. I felt such a naughty thrill a few weeks ago. I pushed the envelope by purchasing three pair of stiletto pumps with her knowledge, and she accepted that--though she was not overly happy when she saw the full effect. But then she said heels were OK except for bed, and in fact she complimented me on them and even suggested I buy her a similar pair in her size. So far, so good, right? I crossed the line by telling her I wanted to buy a skirt when we were exchanging her gifts. That unsettled her and we had a serious talk--I reassured her I would respect her, didn't want to be a woman, etc. So we kind of shifted into a new normal...now as we get ready for bed, I take off my male clothes, and if underdressed I put on my satin robe, or if not, first I make a show of putting on a pair of pantyhose or stockings. I suppose I am testing her acceptance. Since we usually wind up making love--this after a cooling period in our marriage--she has been very, very appreciative. So again, I was feeling good about all this.

Here's the thing. I purchased a few skirts online because I wanted to see how they looked, and had them shipped to my work. I did that behind her back. But now that they have arrived, and I did my obligatory posing in them (pic attached) I am very surprised to feel very blasé.

No real thrill at all. I'm sitting here in my hotel room with smooth legs, a new pair of pantyhose, a skirt, and a nice pair of pumps--and I feel let down. I'm wondering if maybe I need my wife to see me, to be with me, to feel I am doing something taboo, to be excited by this? I remember when she was trying on her Christmas gifts, some gorgeous clothes from BCBG, including some pencil skirts that looked like they were painted on her, and I was sitting there with my sheer hose, 5" stilettos, and seeing her in hose and heels and then seeing them on myself was overwhelmingly exciting.

My question to the forum is if the novelty wears off, or if it comes and goes, or if maybe I am just a fetishist? I would love to dress completely but I would not look remotely feminine from the waist up, and that would ruin the illusion. Maybe I have achieved all I can, and feel disappointed I will never make my outward appearance match what's in my head? If I could snap my fingers and be a decent looking woman, I would want to try that, but the process to reach that goal in real life just seems so exhausting, and would come at such a cost.

Have any of you gotten bored or tired of cross dressing? I'm thinking of just packing up my stuff and waiting until I get the strong urge again.

It feels nice to sit here in heels and hose, and finally a skirt, but I feel bad because I bought the skirts without her knowledge. She is not here to caress my legs or share in the experience. I think part of the excitement for me is precisely that she knows (at least about everything else) and without her it's no fun. I feel bored, stupid and lonely.

I'm rambling, but I wonder if I have just had my fill and it's time to take a break.

Any of you ever feel like this?

Shibumi
    For me after the "novelty" or thrill as you call it "wore off" to me it just became the normal and natural everyday lifestyle for me and who I feel I really am, female.

It's not a novelty for some of us; it's what we do to feel normal. Dressing every day as a guy to go to work is the 'novelty', and we do it to make money.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Shibumi, I'm with Lexi. I've been doing this a long time and there is no novelty in it for me. I can't wait to shed the male for the female. In this socially perverted world, being feminine, or trying to anyway, makes me feel as normal as I can be. The shapes, touch, and odors of that which is feminine and beautiful give me solace for my soul.

On the other hand, please don't feel guilty about the way you feel. Enjoy is you can, put it away if you can't. Our lives are too short for drama that has no end.