Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a correlation between the urge to dress and stress?

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar

Is there a correlation between the urge to dress and stress?

A lot of negative stuff has been happening lately to and around me (car, house, work, kid, spouse issues) and it seems like the desire to be the feminine version of myself is stronger each day I am under added stress. Is there any actually correlation between stress and increased desire to CD?

Yes I believe that there is, at least for me. If I have a stressful day at work or something else causing stress it makes me want to dress all that much more.

I have thought about this recently and had an idea that it may be a form of escape. I was thinking that when I am dressed and fell more feminin I don't have to be the one that has to protect everyone else,no one will look to me to take care of them, someone else will protect me. It was just a thought.
    The minute you think of giving up think of the reason you held on for so long

Girls,
    This is a great question. Nothing takes my mind off of a stressful day like dressing. It transports me to a whole new place, both exciting and relaxing. As I age, more relaxing and les exciting.
    What a wonderful solution. I am thankful I have this relief.
    Connie

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Glad I am not the only one! Kelley, your words are my exact thoughts right now.

It probably does but I'll add that maybe it is the reverse. When I get out and get a chance to be myself, I feel terrific! The other things causing stress seem less "stressful" after a day out!
    Debby

Yes, for me there is. With college application deadlines fast approaching, I've been wearing my bra far more often then usual. It's comforting and calms me down.

Banned Read only
    This simple fact took me years to see a connection.I just thought i was in a "weird" mood preceding to giving into the overwelming desire.I have always been a high strung person.Maby living in New Jersey all these years has made me this way,or i once heard someone say "blonds are hotheads". I'm a natural blonde(yeah as a guy).maby this is true ,i don't know.But one thing i do remember is about 2 years ago having alot of stress at work,the desires were just taking me over,i was dressing every free second that i had.But i also think depressed moods bring it on too.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I would say that if there is a correlation between the urge to dress and stress in anyone's life there is another problem involved. I have been dressing longer than many of you have been alive, and do not remember ever having dressed or not dressed because of stress! And believe me, I have had a stressful life. But my femme life and my drab life are 2 separate things. I have never let them affect each other. I do love to be dressed enfemme!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    And believe me, I have had a stressful life. I do love to be dressed enfemme!!
    Wait a minute,what?

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    For me, there is. Not just to de-stress, but it provides a getaway from anything else negative going on in my life. It's like opening an unread book that is fresh and full of possibilities. The first time I ever went out driving as Michaela, I was full of exuberance, the likes of which I hadn't experienced in a long time. So for me it represents not only escape, but happiness, and the more so the better I can make myself look.
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Banned Read only
    Yes, I not only think so, I know that it is so true that the more stressed you are, the more the desire to become our other side increases. But if other stresses prevent us from doing this, then more stress is added. Thus the stronger the urge to dress, a ying yang cycle.
    Last edited by Tara D. Rose; 12-30-2012 at 11:17 PM.

I also strongly believe that dressing is done, for many hetero CDs, to relieve stress. It may not be as clear to those who want to be women. But here is the next question - why do we relieve stress this way rather than other ways? Genetics, environment, self-esteem issues, parents, sibling order, etc? Why not buy a sports car, fishing boat, hang out in a bar with friends? Do we have fewer friends than others? Love to hear some thoughts.
    And since another thread commented on campiness, Hugs to all! xx

Hey Tara
    I think the stress thing is true. I know when I have a bad day at work I feel so much better after some Jan time. My alter ego calms me down when she can express her self.

Silver Member
    yes, dressing is a real stress reliever for me and I'm sure for most of us here
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

In the closet - for now. Shadeauxmarie's Avatar
    For me, my desire for dressing up is always highest when I am stressed.
    May you live long and prosper.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
    "Smiling makes my face ache." F. N. Furter

Definitely a link! Our minds are already working overtime to keep those feminine urges in the subconscious. When we're under stress that energy is needed elsewhere.

For me it is. I noticed this a few years ago. I think I've figured a lot of things out and am OK with them.

I have gone through a few periods of crossdressing and a time of high stress preceded the start of each period. My latest period, which has lasted about 5 years was preceded by perhaps the most stressful time in my life. While the things that were causing the stress have passed, I have found that crossdressing gives me a chance to take enjoyable little vacations for a few hours. Relief from stress is no longer the motivator for me crossdressing and has been replaced by a more positive motivation, pleasure.
    "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." - The Buddha

Silver Member
    I do enjoy crossdressing and also recognize it is a stress reducer for me.

For me, yes. I've been dressing for a good forty years or so, but it was just occasionally until about four years ago when the economy started to tank, the banks went on a frenzy before the new credit card laws took effect, and there were major changes at work.

One of my theories about myself is because I don't have a wife or girlfriend to discuss things and have physical contact with, dressing is a substitute. The feel of a bra around my chest may be a substitute for a hug. I seem to have sensitive skin and the feel of the finer fabrics women wear against my skin, or a skirt brushing against my legs has a soothing effect on me.

I realize that women have problems too. And there are things I wouldn't want to put up with, menstruation, pregnancy, etc. But fantasizing about being female means I don't have to be stoic and macho, and I can escape the "manly" things that I feel I have failed at in life.

When in stress wear a dress
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

Banned Read only
    Here's a strange thought.Is it just the suppression of the feminine that causes the stress or compounds an outside stress.Because "guy mode" for me is always the one who burdens the stress.The stressor was still there after i would dress,but i just looked at it different and had a feeling "it will all work out"

Quote Originally Posted by jessicaswife View Post
    A lot of negative stuff has been happening lately to and around me (car, house, work, kid, spouse issues) and it seems like the desire to be the feminine version of myself is stronger each day I am under added stress. Is there any actually correlation between stress and increased desire to CD?
    Sure. Holding back the urge to dress up, causes stress. Which makes it difficult to hold back the urge to dress, and the cycle feeds upon itself until I give way, and dress up. Rather than go through that, I dress as a girl pretty much all the time when I'm at home. Makes the off time a little easier.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

More stress makes me not want to crossdress, I'd rather take a long hot bath or try to get some sleep.