Thread: 'When' is as important as 'where'.

'When' is as important as 'where'.

So much space has been devoted to where to go out in the real world. When is also a factor, and I use the supermarket as an example.

2 p.m. at the supermarket.
    You pull into a lot full of B.M.W. and mercedes SUV's. Inside, perfectly groomed and dressed soccer moms have exercised their horses, showered, and now smell vaguely of Vichy body wash and Obsession. They are picking out a perfect prime rib roast to impress their husbands' boss and his wife, who have just bought a condo on Grand Cayman. A string quartet is playing 'the four seasons', Vivaldi, not frankie Valli, as the smell of fresh baked croissants wafts across the store.

This is the IDEAL time to show off your perfectly smooth legs, sassy pumps, and new Chanel hand bag.

11 p.m. same supermarket
    The lot is scattered with rusty Ford f150's, noisily idling on seven cylinders. You enter the store to the sound of Nine Inch Nails playing on a distorted store sound system, and the lights are bright, very bright, painfully bright. Young men sporting Nascar hats, with Ozzy tattoos on their knuckles, are desperately searching for what their six year old joint-custody actually eats. A group of fifty year old home permed women with bar stool induced flat asses are fighting over stale dated chicken parts. In one aisle, single moms, decked out in belly shirts and dirty Nikes, load their carts with Count Chocula and Red Bull, no doubt breakfast for little Felcher and his sister Clamidia, in the next aisle opening all the packages of freezer pops. Men in track pants are everywhere. A group of pink haired teenage girls are texting, chewing gum, and stocking up on Justin Beiber endorsed bulk pregnancy tests, as ancient ladies hold up all the check out lines, searching thru' three inch stacks of coupons for the one that hasn't expired.

This is NOT a good time to be a guy in a dress.

Just some observations from the RW.-Celeste

Silver Member
    Driving in the daytime everyone is into their own thing. Driving after midnight enfem you get checked out by the F150 and the police.

Banned Read only
    Having you been slumming down here in West Tennessee. That sounds exactly like one of the Krogers in Germantown. Except for this: the pink haired kids are pushing their babies around in the carts. Far too many babies having babies.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    2 p.m. at the supermarket.
    ..............This is the IDEAL time to show off your perfectly smooth legs, sassy pumps, and new Chanel hand bag.

11 p.m. same supermarket
    ........This is NOT a good time to be a guy in a dress.

Just some observations from the RW.-Celeste
    Very good and so true.
    Dana Ryan

I go to the supermarket at all hours and have never seen what you have described. Sometimes it is busier than other times. Also, just because there are some expensive SUV's in the parking lot does not mean that the smartly dressed driver is actually buying a select prime rib roast trying to impress the husband's boss who happens to be coming over for dinner. She is probably in there getting some toilet paper because she just ran out. Over generalizations generally are far from accurate. I am not saying that the cars in the parking lot might nor change during the day, hell, at my local Starbuck's there is the real early morning crowd, the morning crowd, the mid-day crowd, to the afternoon one and sometimes even a closing crowd. Each crowd is a little bit different, and sometimes are populated by retirees who have time in the afternoon to meet with friends for coffee and a chat with their friends. More people going to work show up in the mornings.

Good post. I've seen posts where people have said they go out in the middle of the night en femme, that strikes me as being so dangerous, one is bound to attract attention. Around mid afternoon everyone is in their own world and you are 100 times safer.

Platinum Member
    yeah, I pretty much shop at the Kroger, a social milieu in between the lot full of Beemers and the old F150s. The perfect place for a casual knit top, jeans and low heeled sandals. Pretty much my uniform in suburban Houston.

always girly and love it Linda St. John's Avatar
    Wow ! I don't know how good a musician you are , but you could always fall back on your writing skills.....
    Excellent observations - I loved it ....but what were YOU doing in a supermart at 11 PM ??
    twitter : @ lindaesj

I have also found that before 8 AM a business look is just that. Especially if you are buying diet donuts and coffee ( which I have done for my favorite sales girls at Sally's Beauty Supply.
    joank
    Southern California

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by joank View Post
    Especially if you are buying diet donuts
    Is this allowed? It will get you arrested here!

Joank-Diet donuts!!! Sign me up. I buy Tasty creams, sniff them for a while, then throw them at passing cars. (Sorry, since tipping a cow onto myself, I've had to find other passtimes.)-Celeste

So perfect!

And at 4:30 p.m. don't go near the restaurants that have "Early Bird" menus! Some of those people in walkers don't have collision insurance!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

When is so important. In the daytime I am lost in the crowd, at midnight I am the deer in the headlights.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda St. John View Post
    Wow ! I don't know how good a musician you are , but you could always fall back on your writing skills.....
    I was very impressed with the quality of the writing as well. I could visualize both places - and see the people described. I wish I could put that kind of effortless description into my own writing.

Deedee :jealous:
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Wonderful imagery there! I wonder if any of the home pregnancy test makers have considered a Justin Bieber endorsement? It would be a winner!

The only times I've grocery-shopped en femme is at Trader Joe's, a chain that caters to the granola-and-two-buck-Chuck wine crowd. Their customers tend to be pretty tolerant.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Nonsense!
    Fighty McStabbingtons is a fine establishment no matter what time of day or dress.

>(