Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why go so casually dressed to crossdress based events?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Why go so casually dressed to crossdress based events?

I've been going to crossdress based events and social group meetings for nearly 12 years and the first half of that time it was very rare to see someone attend in somewhat casual clothing. Now days it seems to be a very common trend to come to crossdress based house parties or meetings in "blending-in" type of look (you know the comfy jeans, capris, and virtually no raised heel to their shoes).

My question is for those that tend to take their casual shopping outing type of look to crossdress based events.

Why not get your glitz on with a dazzling dress or raise the roof with high heels and short skirts to these type of events? You know, like go with a look that you just don't really do all that often.

Perhaps because for them it's not about the glitz and glam? One thing I quickly learned coming here is that there's lots of CDers who dress for lots of different reasons, and who are in lots of stages of life. If someone's been dressing long enough, it's possible that the thrill of being en femme has worn off, and instead they're comfortable just being female.
    Ali Edwards

Transgender Science ~ Blogging with WrodPress ~ Tweeting on Twitter

"I am half-sick of shadows," said / The Lady of Shalott.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I just enjoy going out and getting dressed up too much doesn't matter to me any more. Most of the time, I'm fine just blending. I've been told many times that I dress like a TS, whatever that means.
    Dana Ryan

I dress in what I am comfortable in at that point in time.
    Sometimes I feel like being "dressy" and sometimes I don't. I'm just an average gal, doing average things.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Hi,

For myself , yes i did go to a few different social group meetings & i wore nice clothes, you have to remember im a woman & i saw no need as it was not a really special night out & it was not worth doing as i had for some meetings needed to take 2 1/2 hours to get there all driveing, the other reason was quite a few did not know how to dress & seemed to not wont to.

The groups im a member of we all get dressed, every time we have our meetings, though this is quite different from trans / dresser's community,

...noeleena...

It varies with me. I sometimes dress to the nines with a nice dress or skirt but sometimes I want to look more casual in jeans and a nice top. I never look slouchy though, always classy. When going out to a girls night out it will depend on where we are going. If it is a nicer place then a dress for sure but some places you wouldn't want to look that dressed up so it is a more casual look. I like all kinds of outfits as long as they are feminine. I don't want to be stuck with only one type.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Silver Member
    It also depends on the makeup of the group. For obvious reasons, trans groups that lean TS will have less dressed up than those that lean toward the occasional TV.

Times change, people change. Perhaps it's now more about who they are and how they feel rather than what they look like.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    I'm pretty much an everyday, casual kinda gal. I do like to get dressed up on occasion, and if I were to attend an event, I'd make an effort to kick it up a notch.

I dress for comfort, yet in clothing that suits my feminine inner gender. I find I'm most comfortable this way. On rare occasions to be at a CD event, I do the same. I don't know why, but I'd feel overdressed to dress to the nines. If I had a formal event to go to, I'd dress appropriately for that.

Pretty much like GG's. Some times it's fun to get dressed to the nines, sometimes everyday clothes will do.

So many of us go out and about nowadays, that CD group meetings seem to be a dying breed. Blending has become the new stepping out. Ironic that when gay culture became so much more accepted, gay social outlets (bars etc.) thrived, yet as CDing becomes more OK, social outlets seem to disappear. Is it that gays still WANT to be socially segregated, whereas transgenders just want to enter the mainstream?-Celeste

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    So many of us go out and about nowadays, that CD group meetings seem to be a dying breed. Blending has become the new stepping out. Ironic that when gay culture became so much more accepted, gay social outlets (bars etc.) thrived, yet as CDing becomes more OK, social outlets seem to disappear. Is it that gays still WANT to be socially segregated, whereas transgenders just want to enter the mainstream?-Celeste
    CD group meetings may be disappearing where you are, but in the Washington, DC area (to include Northern Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland that I know of personally) the meetings seem to still be thriving. There may be more groups that seek to get out and about together, but there are still many Meetups and other gatherings where it's just the girls (and ofter a smattering of significant others) getting together socially in a save setting (home or other private venue). For every person who is totally comfortable just going about their daily business en femme, there are probably a lot more who are still trying to get their courage and their look to a place where they can go out comfortably. Groups are a great way to get safe feedback, know that you are not alone, make friends, etc. so that you can launch yourself into the world solo. One Meetup that I go to offers a place to change/transform before the party (and vice versa afterwords) because some individuals are unable to get dressed and out of their own residence.

Your mileage may differ.

Rhonda

I definitely dress down for casual blending type outing But if it is a CD event I can let the inter teenager out and where the higher heals ans sexier skirt. I will NOt be age appropriated at a CD event or a CD bar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I do glam when it's appropriate, such as when our dancing with my friends but not every day of every event is that appropriate.....
    Of course some just want the glam and that's fine too.
    Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls, Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys, Always should be someone you really love

Glam well appropriate. A lovely phrase from Scotland, I deduce.

I wish that I had someplace to go here. If i did I am sure I would dress glam well appropriately.

Sign of the times perhaps...

[SIZE="4"]Maybe it's just a sign of the times. It used to be that gals wore dresses and guys wore suits or sports coats to church, school functions, funerals and other similar functions. Gee, I remember my grandmother wearing a hat & gloves to go see her attorney! Now, you see almost anything from jeans to shorts to t-shirts... maybe people (including CDs) just don't get dressed up anymore.

Lacy PJs[/SIZE]

Aspiring Member
    It comes down to the motivation for your dressing. If you are just into clothes, you will glam up.
    If you are expressing your gender then clothes only have to reenforce your identity, and you may dress down to "pass" more effectively.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    My question is for those that tend to take their casual shopping outing type of look to crossdress based events.

Why not get your glitz on with a dazzling dress or raise the roof with high heels and short skirts to these type of events? You know, like go with a look that you just don't really do all that often.
    Most of the TGs at my SO's TG support group are out and about frequently, if not full-time, and they don't dress for attention. Also, quite a few go out for drinks after the meetings, and it would look really odd for 6-8 people to go to a bar or a club, all dressed in styles that are overly dressy for the venue or way younger than their ages. Most of the members are middle aged (40s to 60s) and there are few GGs this age who can get away with wearing short skirts and stiletto heels. Also, for the CDers who are not out and about frequently, there is the question of getting to and from the event. I'm guessing they don't want to attract lots of stares.
    Reine

I like seeing people putting effort into the way they dress.

Before I had the guts to go out to regular places, I mostly went to gay bars and crossdresser/trans events. And there were a lot of drag queens and a lot of in-the-closet and not-quite-fashionable crossdressers. After awhile, you just want to dress more like an everyday woman, more like a backlash against being mistaken for a drag queen or for someone who raids the discount section of a thrift store.

I love fancy clothes and costume-ish stuff, but if you identify as a woman (and not as a guy in a costume), sometimes that just feels totally wrong to dress like that.

But it's pretty lame to go to a trans event and dress like you're going to hang out at a friend's house and watch a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy PJs View Post
    [SIZE="4"]Maybe it's just a sign of the times. It used to be that gals wore dresses and guys wore suits or sports coats to church, school functions, funerals and other similar functions. Gee, I remember my grandmother wearing a hat & gloves to go see her attorney! Now, you see almost anything from jeans to shorts to t-shirts... maybe people (including CDs) just don't get dressed up anymore.

Lacy PJs[/SIZE]
    Maybe people don't wear hats and gloves, and there are more casual churches and social events, and maybe everything isn't a big event and you don't get all fancy to take the train to the big city ...

... But women wear skirts and dresses a lot more than they did in the 80s and 90s. For a long time casual meant sloppy, and work attire meant women dressing like men, but a lot of women dress very feminine these days, even if it's not formal.

I simply do what's comfortable and enjoyable for me and suspect that many others do the same. Oftentimes that means pants and a nice top, sometimes a skirt, and a dress every so often. Even then I'll still try and be moderately appropriate for the venue, but to each their own. Do what's fun!

I have never attended a CD event in casual clothes. I always wear a dress. Back in my Gay Pride Parade activities I did dress casual and then some.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

The ladies who attend my SO's support groups are not dressed in sloppy jeans and Tshirts either.

They wear lovely skirts & blouses, or dresses, etc. But, they don't wear the short skirts & stiletto heels that are more appropriate for young women, nor do they wear razzle-dazzle gowns that are appropriate for formal events. The biggest problem with wearing these things is getting stared at for seeming "out of place", going to the event or going out afterwards.
    Reine

Gold Member
    I think there is a lot of variation in what a CD event means. I know I have talked with some groups where they meet in the public eye. Others meet privately to support those that don't get out. Just by virtue of the location and exposure, the average "dressiness" of the attendees can vary. I know if it is a closed event, I am more likely to step it up a little if I have no other plans for that part of the day.

I just like sexy clothes period. As long as you got the body you might as well show it off.It just makes me feel more like a girl. I know when I,m in male mode I,d much rather look at a sexy girl than one that is not. P.S. ( I know I,m going to catch alot of rippin for this reply)
    There are people who think you should live life the way they do. I live life the way I want to.