Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have to always dress to the nines?

Do we have to always dress to the nines?

Thinking about the other thread about dressing casual while attending CD events. Do we always need to pursue the glitz and glitter in feminine finery every time we go out? Personally, I think it has something to do with being comfortable with who we are and that we don't have to make a fashion statement all the time. There are some folks that say just because we are dressing up, we have to go over the top so we are noticed. These are usually the same folks who have stereotypes in mind when expressing how they think women "should" dress.

I look at it more from the viewpoint of being free to be myself and express that in any way I choose to, otherwise we impose limitations on ourselves and project them onto others. The more diverse I am the better as that gives me wiggle room to expand my art form. How do others feel about this?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think this kind of goes back to the "blending" discussion. Most GG's I know don't get all dolled up to go browse at the mall

I always dress up pretty well to the nines. I understand how some crossdressers like to go casual, especially in order to blend in when they go out. But I enjoy all the finery - the dresses, the hosiery, the high heels. It's the primary reason that I dress up to begin with. So to each her own. I'm not doing it to be noticed, or to make any statements about how I think women should dress. It's how I like to dress. I'm well aware that many, if not all, women these days rarely even wear dresses anymore. But I enjoy them. They are one of the finer privileges of womanhood to me. So that's what I like to wear, and that's why I wear them. It's that simple, and one need not read any more into it than that.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Speaking only for myself, this isn't about blending. My motivation for not dressing to the nines isn't because I don't want to stand out. I'm going to stand out no matter what I wear, even if I'm wearing what every other woman is wearing. I wear what I feel makes me look most attractive and satisfies me and my need to present as a woman. When I first starting dressing en femme in public a couple of years ago, I wanted to be ultra-feminine in my choices of clothing. I've progressed somehow to settle into a really comfortable state. For me, it's like a pendulum swing from being scared to death to be seen in public, to dressing way femininely for the sake of making a statement, to just being myself. "Just being myself" without concern for the judgments of others, knowing I'm "read" constantly, just feels right. If a person feels right wearing a party dress to the grocery, that's good, too.

Being the best dressed person where ever I go is not a sin im my book..... I don't want to be part of the background scenery.... I want to standout......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

We're not all driven to crossdress the same, so we don't dress the same way. Dressing to the nines isn't about making a fashion statement as you assert it is. It's about feeling good, feeling that we look good, being in our own comfort zone. As an over-the-top dresser, I've tried toning it down in order to blend, but it didn't suit me. I wasn't comfortable. So I dressed to please myself, even if it meant that my outings needed to be a little less visible.
    Kate, you said you want to be free to express yourself. So do I. If you want to dress down, more casual, more passable, go for it. I won't examine your intentions.
    I'd like the same from you.

Platinum Member
    Nah, I really don't think anyone believes that we are obliged to dress to anyone elses standards. There may be a few CDrs who take a great deal of pleasure from getting all dressed up, and that's ok. And it may be difficult for them to understand why everyone doesn't feel the same way. That's normal too. We often are so embedded in our own values and preferences that we presume everyone else thinks the same way.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    My answer is nope, not always.
    However.....
    If I am looking forward to an outing or event with enthusiasm, then my dressing would indicate as such by dressing up to the nines or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    There may be a few CDrs who take a great deal of pleasure from getting all dressed up, and that's ok. And it may be difficult for them to understand why everyone doesn't feel the same way.
    Kim, I think just the opposite. I think the casual, blendable, dressers have a harder time understanding why we like to dress to the nines than we do understanding why you like a more casual presentation. I've never seen a "why don't you dress to the nines?" thread, but there have been several critical of over-the-top dressers.

EDIT: I stand corrected. See Princess Chantal's related thread.
    Last edited by NicoleScott; 01-11-2013 at 09:51 AM.

i like to look good, casual for most girls nowadays is white tee and jeans...blaa .i can do that in guy mood.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Kim, I think just the opposite. I think the casual, blendable, dressers have a harder time understanding why we like to dress to the nines than we do understanding why you like a more casual presentation. I've never seen a "why don't you dress to the nines?" thread, but there have been several critical of over-the-top dressers.

EDIT: I stand corrected. See Princess Chantal's related thread.
    Well someone had to return the volleyball to the other side of the net and I'm willing to take the bruise and scrape on the knee LOL

I agree with Sonna. In girl mode I rarely wear t-shirts, jeans, even trousers. They are just not enough "transformation". I put a lot of time and effort to looking good but without going overboard. All biological women have different levels of how they want to look from the masculine through to the most feminine with designer names, not a hair out of place and a figure to match. We girls are the same. You don't see many biological women walking round a shopping centre looking like they just stepped off the top of a Christmas tree but on the other hand some you never see in anthing other than combat trousers and a sweat shirt. Personally I am a blender who likes to show an effort has been made.

Maria

I do my best to express myself as a woman, my femme side. That means I like to dress up and i do......often. But sometimes its just as fun to dress casual, in jeans, a nice blouse, sneakers or flats, and I'm finding myself dressing more business or office like and that feels really good when shopping, or just everyday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

I swing both ways on this one. If I'm picking up the dry cleaning, and a loaf of bread, I tend to just be casual. Nice casual granted (nothing worn out, no track pants). If I'm going out on a daytime social occasion like coffee with the girls, it goes to the next level. Designer casual. If I'm doing dinner and a show-look out- pull out all the stops. Manolo didn't design those shoes to sit in the closet.-Celeste

New Member from Scotland paulinescotlandcd's Avatar
    If you take a look at my photographs (link below) you will see I am not the type to blend in if I chose to go shopping at the local mall.

I think I would have no problem blending in or simply gatecrashing a wedding. No jeans and T shirts here folks, no siree,if a job is worth doing it's worth over doing!!!...lol.

Aspiring Member
    When dressing, I want to look good, even sexy and I love short skirts, low cut blouses, etc., however when in public, I cannot pull off the 20-25 yr old look and over the years, I have toned it down so that I could go out in public. I still show some shape, sometimes a little cleavage and a flat front, but it is in jeans or pants. I wear high heels, makeup and recently sometimes a wig. I guess I have given up on looking sexy but not on wearing all female clothing.
    SheriM

Just to let everyone know, I'm not criticizing anyone as everyone has their own purpose and comfort level with dressing. The thread was mostly designed to see the different feelings about this. I love dressing to the nines like anyone else but can have just as much fun being myself either way. Thanks for your expressions so far my friends.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

No we don't need to, though for some that is kinda the point. I'm in skinny jeans and sweater just now as it's chilly.
    Not glam, just comfortable but still expressing who I am.
    Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls, Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys, Always should be someone you really love

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    I only wear dresses and heels in girl mode. For me, that's the whole fun of dressing -- I can dress casual as a guy whenever I want.

[SIZE="3"]Wow, I read all the posts about dressing to the nines....I'm happy if I can make it to the sevens....
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Banned Read only
    We don't "have to" but dressing is fun and because so many get little opportunity, they'd prefer to go all out when they do get a chance. Also, we tend to need heavy makeup and that goes better with "dressed up." Still, more and more I want to and am developing a casual style because being out in daylight is more fun that night time, I think.

Sometimes dressing to the nines is not practical. Yesterday I was house cleaning and wore woman's jeans, sweater and loafers. I had on normal daytime makeup and some nice jewlery but nothing like when I get really dressed up. I could have gone to any big box store and fit right in with the other GG's. Maybe I dress so much that the need/want to dress up has become more situational (like a GG).
    joank
    Southern California

One thing about always dressing to the nines is the cost. I get the impression from a lot of replies on this site that for some money seems to be no object. I suppose it's not so bad if you dress full time but if not it is like supporting another person.

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    Thinking about the other thread about dressing casual while attending CD events. Do we always need to pursue the glitz and glitter in feminine finery every time we go out? Personally, I think it has something to do with being comfortable with who we are and that we don't have to make a fashion statement all the time. There are some folks that say just because we are dressing up, we have to go over the top so we are noticed. These are usually the same folks who have stereotypes in mind when expressing how they think women "should" dress.

I look at it more from the viewpoint of being free to be myself and express that in any way I choose to, otherwise we impose limitations on ourselves and project them onto others. The more diverse I am the better as that gives me wiggle room to expand my art form. How do others feel about this?
    I think it really depends on where your at with your dressing and how often you actually go out. Girls in the early stages of going out places, myself included, will usually go the nines while girls who have dressed for a long time and are out quite often, will dress more casual.

I have only been out enfemme three times, all three were dressed to the nines. I didn't want to waste the opportunity I guess you could say
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

To meet, it is a matter of dressing that fits the occasion. When going out to nice restaurant or symphony, I want to use that setting to get very dressed up. For mall shopping, still want to present as well as I can while overdoing presentation. Nice dinner on Tues meant LCD, pears and heels. Last night's shopping meant a much more casual look. Felt passes well in both instances...reverse the outfits ad settings and I don't think either would have worked