Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do we have to always dress to the nines?

No, do you wear a tux everyday in guy mode? I reckon it depends on what you are after. I like the sort of fit, sporty look. Maybe I'm conservative but I think It's best for me to dress more everyday style and be as natural as possible.

Damn I'm old!

Quote Originally Posted by famousunknown View Post
    Be careful before you involuntarily enroll people in your crusade for 'acceptance'. Some of us could care less about educating the public, proving something, or that kind of thing. IMHO, blending should always be the goal.
    Just because you could care less doesn't mean it's wrong for those who do care about it to do so. No one was enrolling you in anything. It is a fact that the more of us who get out and about and are public, the less and less a big deal it will be to people and acceptance will be that much closer. It doesn't mean you are obligated to be part of that "more of us." It doesn't mean you're wrong to not push the envelope if you're not comfortable with doing so. But the fact remains, the more of us that do, the better for the cause of acceptance. Okay, fine, acceptance is not your goal, great. Don't dismiss people for whom it is, because they want to be able to be themselves and live that way in public. You don't have to help them, but can't you at least avoid being part of the problem?

Blending should always be the goal? If you rephrased that to be "Blending is always my goal." I'd have no problem with it. But you saying blending should always be THE goal, is doing exactly what you are attacking Contessa for doing. You're foisting your own goal onto others as how they should proceed. Some people may not be able to blend, or might look better by not blending than they do when they do blend. Should they limit their personal enjoyment of cross-dressing or compromise what might be their better looks because you think they should make blending their goal?
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

On Hiatus
    I say express yourself in whatever way makes you happiest. If you don't want to present yourself in accordance with a binary, don't. If you do, do it. As for dressing to "the nines", my answer is "no". I'm just as happy sitting around the house in my wig and my PJ's (more of the feminine variety, of course) and being me as I am getting all dolled up for pictures or going somewhere nice -- and I'm just as happy going out and being plain too. I just like presenting myself as a girl. Whatevs.

Edit: Even then, I don't always doll up for pictures x] (See avatar)
    "None is more cruel and violent than the coward"
    -Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto-

As an Avon lady, I like to show off my wares.... shoes dresses, jewlery, makeup perfume,, ect.. you get the idea. If somone comes up to me and says "I like your _____" I can say Thanks, it's Avon... want a catalog?
    However, I do admit, dressing to the 9's all the time can be a bit tireing, so I do have a bunch of casual things to...

I think it's too much effort to dress up for everthing lol. An I'm not a fan of glitter. I don't need to stand out, just be happy with what I'm wearing.

My SO is consistently better dressed than me and the other women in our environment. She loves to look stylish and she keeps up to date with all the new fashions. Unfortunately we live in a corner of the world where women simply don't dress. The nearest urban area is two hours away and even there, women don't dress up like they do on the coasts.

I feel awkward dressing up to go to a venue or restaurant where I know everyone will be wearing jeans, so I don't do it. But, I don't blame my SO for wanting to wear all the beautiful clothes she has.

When I lived on the West Coast, my wardrobe was much more expansive than it is now. I also can dress well when I visit my family in Montreal. But here? I feel like a duck out of water.
    Reine

Do we have to always dress to the nines? NO. I'm usually wearing simple skirts and tops, with either thigh high stockings and mary janes, or knee socks and penny loafers, simple female watch and bracelet, maybe clip on simple earrings. Rarely any make up. I'm most comfortable this way.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    I'm with you Marla!
    I always aim for pretty.
    I only dress down if I have a day of indoor cleaning and chores.
    But then I have to at least have the makeup right and I always try to look a little more feminine that what my wife is wearing.
    Just because I enjoy the prettiness!
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    It is a fact that the more of us who get out and about and are public, the less and less a big deal it will be to people and acceptance will be that much closer. It doesn't mean you are obligated to be part of that "more of us." It doesn't mean you're wrong to not push the envelope if you're not comfortable with doing so. But the fact remains, the more of us that do, the better for the cause of acceptance.
    I don't consider myself an activist, but in my opinion every time I'm "read" in public I'm doing something positive for cross dressers everywhere. I've had 100% positive feedback and experiences in two years of dressing en femme publicly, and I'm in conservative Tennessee! I mind my own business, and whether I'm dressed casually or "to the nines," people see me, accept me, and move on. That can only make it easier for other cross dressers.

I think very, very few cross dressers actually blend in enough to pass. To those who do blend and pass, I'm jealous! I don't think I pass, but I don't worry about it at all, because I'm not ashamed of myself. Every time I go out dressed en femme, I feel that by default I'm being a representative for all of us, whether or not I signed up for that role or not. The uninformed Joe or Jane Average judges all cross dressers by the few they actually encounter in real life. I'm proud that I brave social norms and do what makes me feel good. I never thought I could do it. Someday, perhaps not in my lifetime, cross dressing will be much more commonplace and not considered unusual or perverted. There will be no need for activism because enough of us got out there way back in the early 21st century. Bravo to you, Ryan, and especially to those who don't attempt "blending" and courageously present a combination of male and female dress and appearance. I sincerely thank you all!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    It is a fact that the more of us who get out and about and are public, the less and less a big deal it will be to people and acceptance will be that much closer.
    that's a fantasy.

When I go out dressed I always wear dresses or skirts. Some outfits are more casual than others, I always wear pantyhose, and always do my makup and hair, and I always wear heels, most of my heels are 2.5 to 3.5 inches. I have taller heels for special occasions.
    You can wear a dress without dressing to the nines, I just like the classic feminine look. I never wear pants when dressed enfemme, I do that enough in male mode.
    I like to show off my girly legs, cannot do that wearing pants.

I guess it would depend on my mood more than anything. I've only been out a small handful of times, and only once to an official "TG" event. I think, the more I do this, I've started to enjoy trying to "pass" vs. "dressed to the nines." Maybe because I just naturally enjoy being challenged and it's definitely a challenge to take a tall, large-framed guy like me and pass. So that means, if I were to go shopping, or to a casual restaurant, it'd be flats, jeans, top. A fancier place, I'd doll it up a little more.

I think I might be more inclined to head towards "nine" territory for a specific TG event because at that point, I'm with a bunch of other CD'ers, might as well just enjoy the clothes that I normally might not wear. I almost went to a TG event this past week (got stuck at work and couldn't make it) but was definitely planning to wear something with my strappy heels because I figure, I'm already going to be stared at, might as well enjoy it.

You do know that a stuffed bra and the right hairstyle can make you an instant woman as long ad your postures is good, right? There are a lot of women who could easily pass for men with the chest wrapped ...being a female, I can tell you slot of it is body language, not clothes, women dress like men all the time

I usually only get out dressed around 3 or 4 days every month. So, when I am doing it, I wear the clothes that I particularly enjoy wearing. That usually means wearing a skirt and nice top or a dress, hose, and heels. Yes, I tend to be a little more dressed up than most of the GG's around the places I am at, but that's OK. I don't mind if a couple of people walk past me and one says to the other, "That's a dude in dress!" I just want the other person to reply, "Yeah, but don't he look good in it."
    Phoebe

Banned Read only
    Do we always have to dress to the nines?

Well, the truth is that I'm lazy and will easily settle for eights. Got close to a ten once or twice, but you have to be real careful with that because it can get you arrested...

It is actualy a reality. History records may minorities who were once shunned, and percicutedfor who they were/are... A prime example of this would be early Christions. A more modern exaple woutl be the black community. Need I go on?

Hi Kate, I rarely dress up that way although it does feel really good when I do. I mostly dress up with a denim skirt and casual top bare legs and sandals. Sometimes I dress that up a little more by wearing heels and dressier top and occasionally some hose. I don't go out in public at all so there really is no real big reason to get all dolled up and sit at my computer while visiting this forum. The only reason I do is because I have the clothing and I can. It is eye catching to see someone in Walmart all dressed to the nines and they really stand out when they do. They do not blend in when everyone else is in shorts, tank tops, tshirts, some form of exercise clothing, pajamas, jogging shoes or flip flops. I do however completely understand why we do it and as long as that is what you want to do then who am I judge. I say wear whatever you want, where ever you want and don't worry about it. Some may be thinking about you but as long as they are thinking I can't hear what it is they are thinking about so party on girls and show them how it's done.
    Marilyn Monroe: I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.

It is very cold here at the moment with lots of snow (OK it isn't Canada!) so I am slouching around in jeans and jumpers.... or thick pantyhose and long skirts with boots and oh yeah... jumpers! Do I feel 'femme'... hell yeah!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I always seem to wear the same skirt and various tops, regardless of the Temperature, But I don't like the way I look in jeans, although tight workout clothes make me feel better.

-being a black person,i really prefer this not being compared to race...you can hide your dresses and heels but i can't hide my black skin.just a note on anyone trying to compare the two

For me it is all a mental state, sometimes just tucking with panties is enough.