Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your biggest fashion disaster?

What is your biggest fashion disaster?

As the title says, what's been your biggest fashion No No.

Mine was a gorgeous little white dress I bought, can't remember what the occasion was for, but I saw this dress and thought it was perfect. Got the dress and shopped around for accessories to complete the entire outfit, shoes, bag, jewelry etc. The shoes were a fantastic pink and matched the bag perfectly, I was such a happy little bunny. Then off home all excited to show it all off to my husband.

Little problem is I am colourblind, very rare for a girl to be colourblind but even rarer to be tritanopic colourblind. I can not see the colour yellow, most oranges appear pink, blue and green can appear the same depending on shade.

Oh yes the gorgeous white dress I had bought was, my husband informed me during bouts of intense laughter, in fact a very very bright neon yellow, the hand bag was a lovely shade of pink but the shoes were a neon orange. To me it all looked lovely, but he assured me the colours simply didn't work. Needless to say the husband tends to check colours before I buy them now, unless it's a colour I am confident I can see

Mind it did throw us both into a phase of dressing up in the most garish neon clothes possible which gave a whole load of giggles

Hmmn... maybe it's just a taste in fashion thing. To me a bright neon dress sounds awesome! In fact, one of my favorite dresses that I used to wear in my early 20s was bright orange in color!

Perhaps one of the first dresses that I owned might be considered a "fashion disaster" to some. It was a totally olive green colored frumpy zip-up turtlenecked maternity dress that I bought from the barn-house thrift store I worked at. Still, I LOVED that dress and usually found enough accessories (often fancy thrift-scored bolo ties), stripy socks, and bright cardigans to tie the outfit together in a way that I felt was fashionable enough.

Then again, I have weird-ass quirky punk taste in things like that... so it's often the most awkward looking outfits that delight me the most!

It must have been the pink fog. But I bought this dlouse at DressBarn that I thought was fantastic. I got home and wondered what was I thinking. Never wore it and I doubt I ever will.

LOL! I'm too new to this to have a story to tell. Honestly, right now, every attempt is a fashion disaster.
    Ali Edwards

Transgender Science ~ Blogging with WrodPress ~ Tweeting on Twitter

"I am half-sick of shadows," said / The Lady of Shalott.

First day of high school, I wore a white skirt, felt really cute all day. Went to the bathroom during last period and noticed you could totally see my panties.
    11/15/12 ride or die

Before I fully transitioned surgically, I wore a pair of yoga pants to the gym, not realizing that they showed off my "spare parts." Makes me shake just thinking about it! Lol!!
    *Jenny*

Quote Originally Posted by KatieGG View Post
    First day of high school, I wore a white skirt, felt really cute all day. Went to the bathroom during last period and noticed you could totally see my panties.
    I bet all the boys enjoyed that and maybe some of the girls also He He. I am very surprised no one made any comments about it, especially any of the teachers, but maybe they where all enjoying the show also.
    Mistybtm

Banned Read only
    Mine, early on, was buying trashy and thinking it looked good. I've licked that bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistybtm View Post
    I bet all the boys enjoyed that and maybe some of the girls also He He. I am very surprised no one made any comments about it, especially any of the teachers, but maybe they where all enjoying the show also.
    You would think SOMEBODY would have told me! I noticed a lot of people looking at me but I thought they just thought I was pretty LOL
    11/15/12 ride or die

Probably the leopard print minidresses I bought in the Juniors department. They're tight and short and not for a girl in her late fifties like me. I did wear one of them in Vegas with leggings though.

Tibby, I am so sorry hon, it sounded like you had the perfect outfit only to be blindsided about the colors. Hopefully you took everything back I have never had a disaster yet myself though. I am pretty good about buying things that match what I have already My wardrobe is starting to get bigger though so it may still happen yet lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

You would think SOMEBODY would have told me! I noticed a lot of people looking at me but I thought they just thought I was pretty LOL
    I think they were too busy looking, or to polite to say anything. It's kinda like a guy walking around with his fly down (don't ask me how I know.lol).

In 2010 I attended a CD event sponsored by Transformations by Rori, that was held at a bar in Arlington Heights, Illinois. I was wearing a new red outfit for the first time, on the way there it split down the back. I wore a sweater over the new outfit and had a great time.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Miss Joanne, they were added to hubbies collection and led to a spate of neon clothes shopping. I have to admit the neon yellow tights he got I can see a colour but it just looks a type of green. He's generally pretty good at pointing out colours however after he tried to convince me tonight that snow is yellow I'm not sure I should trust him so much lol.

KatieGG sorry but that made me laugh so much, I can just imagine how horrified you were.

So many of these stories are making me laugh, love them

On Hiatus
    My fashion "disasters" were probably far too mild to be considered "disastrous"; they were more like fashion "mishaps", but I'm going to go with the times I wore my belts too tight around my middle when I was heavier (and looked like two large globes vertically glued together), and the time I was dressing at my friend's house, put on too much eyeshadow without moistening my brush and blending properly, and ended up dumping it all over my face when I blinked. xD
    "None is more cruel and violent than the coward"
    -Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto-

My wife and I went out with some friends and I wore a new blouse I had been dying to wear. Feeling a little sexy I wore my sheer lace bra and panty set. Unfortunately I didn't check the mirror until in the restaurant and my wife turned to me and said, "****". I was surprised and she told me to look. You could see my nipples very plainly through the sheer lace of the bra and the sheerness of the blouse. Next time I'll remember to wear a cami.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

My fashion disaster was the years between 19 and 22. I was living in Paris in a hotel with a bunch of drag queens. They dressed me most nights. Enough said? I'm still getting glitter out of my shorts.-Celeste

On Hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    My fashion disaster was the years between 19 and 22. I was living in Paris in a hotel with a bunch of drag queens. They dressed me most nights. Enough said? I'm still getting glitter out of my shorts.-Celeste
    xD

To quote Demetri Martin: "Glitter is the herpes of crafts (and, in this case, fashion) supplies"
    "None is more cruel and violent than the coward"
    -Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto-

I've always liked the way GG's look in cap sleeves. I bought a few outfits with them and once I had them on, I noticed that they made my arms look like I was "Muscle Mom."
    "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." - The Buddha

You are very pretty . I am sure you gave the student body A good start for the year.
    Mistybtm

Ally, I have the same problem, I like many GG tops but I don't think they flatter my chest and arms?

Strange, but most of my fashion disasters tend to involve yellow as well. I should just give up with it but I can't seem to let go.

My biggest fashion disaster was a blue dress that I thought looked cute in the store but when I got home I noticed that one side of the dress can be easily lifted to expose my panties, so the only way I can wear it out is if I wear leggings underneath it. Also it doesn't look good without a shrug to go over my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
    Miss Joanne, they were added to hubbies collection and led to a spate of neon clothes shopping. I have to admit the neon yellow tights he got I can see a colour but it just looks a type of green. He's generally pretty good at pointing out colours however after he tried to convince me tonight that snow is yellow I'm not sure I should trust him so much lol.

KatieGG sorry but that made me laugh so much, I can just imagine how horrified you were.

So many of these stories are making me laugh, love them
    Just as long as you stay away from the yellow snow!

My fashion disasters were all the nerdy male clothes I wore as a kid/teen, the women's clothing I bought as an adult without any eye or thought for putting together outfits or anything, and a time or two when I put some item of clothing on only to move "wrong" or something and have things split or rip. I can't think of any specific incidents like some of the posters have described... :\

Silver Member
    In early 70s I bought a neon pink nylon very short go go skirt along with a very shear white peasant blouse. So I decide to wear them while driving from Cleveland to Chicago. Decided to take the toll road. Well getting on was easy, person just handed me the ticket. As I moved from Ohio to Indiana to Illnoise I had to stop and pay several tolls. The women laughed and the guys looked like they had just seen a hooker. Never did wear that outfit again!!!