Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want to or do you have to?

Do you want to or do you have to?

Do you dress because you want to or because you have to? Most of the time it's because I want to, it's fun, it makes me feel good, I really enjoy it and I think I've finally found something that makes me complete. Other times I feel as though I have to dress to preserve my sanity and well being. How do you feel?? Jaymee

Pretty much both. I feel like I have too, I can get moody very quickly and often even depressed if I can't dress when the feeling takes me, but I've never dressed without wanting to lol
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

Gold Member
    Jaymee;
    I agree with you on your dressing. It both feels good and because I want to.
    I stay in the closet, but I under dress as much as possible.
    I am looking froward to Monday, the 21 st. It is a holiday, and no mail to
    go out and get, sooooooo I get totally dressed and stay that way the entire day.
    Rader

Same here: both. It's a compulsion, but it's also just plain fun! And the older I get the less its a compulsion, and the more fun it is.
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

I dress for both also. I noticed that I am a lot calmer when I am dressed. If I am feeling a bit edgy. I mostly dress though because I want to.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Banned Read only
    Always because I want to. If I didn't want to, it would be a chore.

Good question, I never really thought much about it until now. I just want to, each day I can't wait to get home to get dressed. In part, I have to agree it takes me away from work related stress and some of the everyday things that go on in life. It's not something I have to do even though it helps. I have laughed at myself lately thinking about how my wife would complain about having to wear a bra, panty hoes, put makeup on, shave her legs, etc. and I thrive to get home to do it all.

I just love to dress, I feel I'm best as a female in all aspects of life.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Well, for me it is a fine line. I obviously dress because I enjoy doing that. However,I also know that with all the joy I get from dressing it also is disrupting my previous normal life in ways that I wish it would not. Therefore, it is probably a want/desire and a need/compulsion for me.

For me it's because I want to...
    I want to look pretty...
    I want to feel pretty...
    I want to be ME...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I am in the want to / have to category.
    I want to dress up and look good.
    If I find that for some reason I have to put off getting dressed up ( work, Life, ect......), I get to the point that I will go nuts if I don't do something to look pretty. The stress just builds until I feel like I am going to pop.
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

Most of the time because I want to as it's my "official uniform" for dancing and having a good time. Other times it's for encouragement of others.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I agree with Arlene. For me it just feels better then my male alternative side .
    Renee

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have never felt like I HAD to dress enfemme! I dress simply because I like to, and have done so for the 60+ years that I have been crossdressing. My late wife knew that and appreciated the fact that I felt that way.
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Like most things in life, I usually never want to do something I "have" to. I always rebelled when mom or dad would tell me I had to do something (and I cussed out my high school principal, and a football coach for doing it). I have that background in my mentality, but now I admit it has a different twist. I love dressing, and have gotten such peace from int, and have found out so much new about myself. When given choices, i will opt for dressing. Is that a "have" to situation. maybe so, as my well being does suffer setbacks from long periods of denying/ But I can never associate this with being ordered, even by myself I guess. Hope this is clear as mud.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

[Obligatory one word answer] Yes.

Banned Read only
    Since I have the opportunity to dress Monday through Friday for at least six hours each day, I do not have any compulsion to dress because I may be denied in the near future. It depends on how my inner self feels. Somedays I just want to be my male self and go about doing male things. There are other days when I want to let Stephanie play. Today Stephanie has had a very mellow day doing little light domestic chores because dinner guests are coming, and, reading, banging on the keyboard, buying on eBay (a very lovely Velrose vintage slip), and eating a leisurely breakfast and lunch.

So, now I get en femme because I want to feel the feminine side of myself. When there was more stress in my life, it was more that I HAD to escape the male bullshit of life.

Crossdressing Newbie
    I feel like I have to at least underdress, but I dress for fun with the extra articles whenever I can.

Hi Jaymee,

I would imagine that it would be quite distressing for someone to feel they have to dress when they don't like doing so. I think that is what is meant by problems with gender dysphoria.

As it is with others here, I liked it as a toddler and I like it even more now as I mature. I get to try on all sorts of beautiful clothes and accessories that help me look pretty and which help soothe and calm me.... jut like a woman.

It's a treat; definitely no chore for me.
    Monica

Have to.. For me it's about putting somting right that went wrond somwhere before birth////

For me, I really have to want to dress to do it. The thought of dragging out the make up, putting it on, finding the right outfit, getting the wig right is just drudgery if I'm not in the mood. Many times when I've had the chance, once I thought about all that goes into it, I just said, "the hell with it" and found something else to do.
    "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." - The Buddha

I think of it as a mix of both find it soothing and relaxing, alway felt like I'm female inside, there are days every four or five weeks that I really have to or go crazy and get edgy and very hard to get along with unless dressed. Like right now am thinking of getting breast implants and going fulltime female, tired of taking forms in and out, want something real with feeling and sensation. Sorry about long post and rant.

some times I get a little anxious and have had the odd attack of anxiety but never when dressed go figure

I want to. Its really the only time I can fully unwind and feel at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greene View Post
    I am in the want to / have to category.
    I want to dress up and look good.
    If I find that for some reason I have to put off getting dressed up ( work, Life, ect......), I get to the point that I will go nuts if I don't do something to look pretty. The stress just builds until I feel like I am going to pop.

I agree with Kelley, I want to, and if I don't, well, right now it's been over a month and I am close to Meltdown!
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian