Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boy clothes are so so boring.

Boy clothes are so so boring.

I'm a nurse and work in large well known hospital every year about this time the graduating Doctors come through for group interview for internship. Today about 10 men ( I don't think I saw a woman the group) toured our department. I had to do a double take for a second as they were all wearing Dk Blue or maybe it was black suits. Shirts were either gray or white. The only color on them was there ties and that want even much. For a second I thought the Navy was in town. I looked at them and in my head was thinking ugh how boring can you get. Then I thought I hate men's clothes no color no style we petty much all look like clones in suits and that's in our dress to impress clothes. I was thinking how about a nice stylish lace dress and heels would suit me better or if I had to a pencil skirt with a nice blouse a little something to make me pop just some color please. What would you wear to impress a future boss if you could wear anything you wanted?

I always hated suits. They are so boring. I never really thought about what I'd wear to an interview, But I can tell you heels would be involved. Maybe a nice red business skirt suit.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Banned Read only
    Of course, if it were a group of female doctors, they would be in navy or black skirt/suits or maybe pant suits. Granted, they would have some flair of color, but it would be minimal. They are also dressing to impress, for the setting. Mini skirt wearing cleavage showing bimbo look does not instill confidence in others in the medical profession.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]Personally I like my male wardrobe. I can look downright sharp and often do. I like getting dressed up in both girls and male modes. I like to think that I'm equally attractive either way![/SIZE]

Male clothing in colorless, utilitarian and unexpressive. The easy way to determine if you are in the men's or women's department is to look at how many colors are available. If you are in the men's department then what shade of black, brown, blue, or gray would you like? That pretty much sums it up. Don't even get me started on the shoes that are style-less and make men's feet look even larger. There is nothing good about men's clothing.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMANN View Post
    I looked at them and in my head was thinking ugh how boring can you get.
    You know why they dress that way, don't you?

They want women to pay attention to their bodies, their handsome features, their charismatic personalities, their air of confidence ... and not their clothes.

Fundamentally, women adorn themselves to be sexually appealing to men. Women want to attract men. All the trappings of beauty: the makeup, the hair products, the sexy shoes, the flattering clothes, are designed to help women look younger and more vibrant, which is what men, who are visually motivated, look for in mates. And women throw in the jewelry and sparkles for good measure, because they know that men are attracted to glittery things too. Women, on the other hand, look for different things in their mates: power, status, his ability to have access to resources. She doesn't notice the style of his suit, but how it fits his body and the quality of the fabric. Does he exude an air of power and confidence? Is he wearing an expensive watch? Or, is his car a babe magnet?

These are sweeping generalizations, of course, since obviously not all women dress to attract men especially once they're settled. Other factors also come into play when it comes to choosing clothes, especially in our modern age of narrowing gender roles. But I wanted to point out the very basic reason that women adorned themselves beginning all those thousands of years ago, and suggest that a part of this coding still resides in our reptilian brains.

Read this article. It explains it better than me:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...h-about-beauty

Anyway, this also explains why most wives ask if their husbands are gay and if they crossdress because they want to attract men. Women understand the rule about dressing to attract men.
    Reine

Give me female clothes and colour any day!

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Anyway, this also explains why most wives ask if their husbands are gay and if they crossdress because they want to attract men. Women understand the rule about dressing to attract men.
    Reine,

Isn't it true that women dress to impress themselves and other women? I have seen it stated many times in magazines that women do not dress to attract men and that this is a misconception of most men.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

My father always said clothes maketh the man.....
    He never saw me dressed in female attire.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I used to work in an office with about 60 men 40 women. I remember looking at the men and thinking how odd the everyone would wear a white or very light blue shirt. I had a white and a blue shirt too, but also pink, red, black, purple, etc. One of the owners (a woman) frequently complimented me on my shirts and breaking the office norm. I wonder if the other men thought that they had to do this to fit in?
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    Reine,

Isn't it true that women dress to impress themselves and other women? I have seen it stated many times in magazines that women do not dress to attract men and that this is a misconception of most men.
    By "dress" I assume you mean making an effort and not just wearing the easy stuff.

A lot of women do say they dress for themselves. I would count among these, the vast majority of women who go to the mall dressed in easy to wear and easy care clothes. They're not looking for partners, and I agree, they do not adorn themselves to catch a man. They already have one. Or if they are single, they don't expect to catch a man at the mall. lol.

Women at fancy galas or cocktail parties may well dress in a way to impress other women, but the message in this case would convey "hands off my man, he's mine". Another reason to dress up to the gills is to show off the couple's (or the husband's) financial status/success to everyone, not just to the other women. But, if a woman is single and looking for partners at these events, you can bet your bottom dollar that she will dress to appeal to men. Ever heard of the wives who don't like it when attractive divorcees hang around their husbands?

Professional women such as attorneys wear their power suits and designer clothes to reflect their own status and power, much like men do. So you won't see them wearing short skirts and plunging necklines.

So, no. Although we cannot possibly address every single woman's motive for choosing to adorn or to not adorn herself in certain ways, I don't believe for an instant that the "man" or "status" question doesn't come into play in some fashion when women spend time and effort in getting ready. Any woman who thinks about this deeply will agree. The women who "dress for themselves" don't tend to spend hours getting ready and they certainly don't dress up just to stay home alone. But also, as mentioned in my first post, we do have more and more women who dress for power and success and such a woman would have no desire to entice … (unless she is single and looking.)

Have you looked at the link I provided above? They explain it rather well.
    Last edited by ReineD; 01-26-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Grammar was atrocious.
    Reine

I've *always* said "Boring Boy Clothes"!

Not that I've not felt like I looked good a few times going out as a guy on New Years Eve, but apart from a few occasions like that, I'll always say that girl clothes are simply 'the bomb'!

Banned Read only
    I actually prefer to wear female suits. The have a better shape than male suits on skinny people... I think...

Boy clothes are NOT boring. They may be boring to you and to every CD for that matter but there is some really amazing choices out there for guys that love to dress well. Colors, fabrics, everything you could want. Of course it does require a sense of style and a boldness that many CD's just don't have. Your average CD would never wear fashionable Capri's with a great pair of sandals and a tank top cut just right because they would be afraid that people would think they were gay. Ironic yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Boy clothes are NOT boring. They may be boring to you and to every CD for that matter but there is some really amazing choices out there for guys that love to dress well. Colors, fabrics, everything you could want. Of course it does require a sense of style and a boldness that many CD's just don't have. Your average CD would never wear fashionable Capri's with a great pair of sandals and a tank top cut just right because they would be afraid that people would think they were gay. Ironic yes?
    EXACTLY what I was thinking.

And I've said this before. Most men are totally cool with being the men that they are. I dare to say 99.whatever% of men feel this way. But whatever that percentage might be, these doctors of yours were not likely to get up in the morning, look into their closets, and say "boo hoo, I really wish I could wear a dress to work today". No, a man who is secure with his gender is not going to give these things a second thought and instead, he will pick out a suit that looks amazing on him. Men in general look terrific in suits and personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Yes, male clothes are very boring! Female clothes are much more interesting!
    I'm always a woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Men in general look terrific in suits and personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    The problem with men wearing suits is that they make all men appear as clones on each other. For example, men's fashion is never discussed at the Oscar Awards because all men look alike. The idea of men's formal fashion is a "uniform" that removes all self expression to ensure that all men are on the same level. Standing out from the crowd is not acceptable in men's formal fashion. The suit is nothing but a uniform!! It is interesting the most military dress uniforms are much better looking and expressive than the boring men's business suit. Men's fashion has been stuck in a rut and has not evolved in the past 100 years. It is really sad.

Men's fashion has been stuck in a rut and has not evolved in the past 100 years. It is really sad.
    NOT TRUE!

Come visit me and I will take you shopping for men's clothes. There is no limit to fashion available for men, only the limited desire for men to wear them. I enjoyed dressing as a man just as much as I enjoy dressing now, I simply enjoy fashion, and when I meet a guy who has great style, I literally swoon.

Also, there is a lot more to wear than suits. I never see men in suits except for occasional events or formal business engagements. A good suit is nice but these days casual men's fashion has expanded to capri's and really cute slouchy sweaters, or slacks in earthy colors that are cut just right around the legs and butt, paired with a T, and a kicky bomber jacket that's 'guy' cropped so it really accentuates his body.

Yes it's true that most of the best dressed guys are gay and that's really unfortunate for us because the FEW straight men who do have style are basically fighting us off with a snazzy cane. If straight men ever figured out how good they can look in clothes, they would literally have their pick of women. The idea that men cross dress because men's clothes are boring is just plain old BS. Men cross dress because they like wearing women's clothes.

I can take an average guy and make him damn hot just by dressing him up a little. In fact my ex roomie's husband is a perfect example. He is a big lug who is all about T-shirts and jeans but one night they were over here and I gave him a bunch of my old clothes. I used to be a 240 lb dude so I had some old jeans and shoes and shirts that fit him perfectly. and boy was he cute. I traded him HIS jeans and T-shirt for MY old jeans and T-shirt and the difference was night and day. My t-shirt fit him like a glove because the material and cut were far superior to the boxy whatever brand he was wearing. It was tight in the right places, (upper body, biceps) and loose in the right places (belly) and the neck opening was just slightly larger. The jeans were no comparison. I wouldn't have looked twice at him in his clothes (well maybe) but my old jeans really looked incredible on him. All of a sudden he had a shape, (jeans had cute pocket flaps and really great stitching) and when he put on a pair of my old work shoes, (that 2 tone leather bowling shoe style that was popular a few years ago) it was ON. That look was rockin' and could have been finished with almost ANY cute jacket. If just fashionable jeans and T-shirts can make that much of a difference than imagine what is possible with the awesome range of styles that are available?
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

The problem with men wearing suits is that they make all men appear as clones on each other. For example, men's fashion is never discussed at the Oscar Awards because all men look alike. The idea of men's formal fashion is a "uniform" that removes all self expression to ensure that all men are on the same level. Standing out from the crowd is not acceptable in men's formal fashion. The suit is nothing but a uniform!! It is interesting the most military dress uniforms are much better looking and expressive than the boring men's business suit. Men's fashion has been stuck in a rut and has not evolved in the past 100 years. It is really sad.
    Really?

Methinks you need to get out more Jamie. In the meantime, I think an emoticon representing a grain of salt is indicated for your post as your POV is clearly skewed in favor of all that is feminine. That might be all good in our little world but in the real world, this whole thing is a non-issue.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Really?

Methinks you need to get out more Jamie. In the meantime, I think an emoticon representing a grain of salt is indicated for your post as your POV is clearly skewed in favor of all that is feminine. That might be all good in our little world but in the real world, this whole thing is a non-issue.
    If you look back to the days of George Washington you will see that men's fashion was expressive and fun. During the industrial revolution the business suit was invented to make all men look the same - like clones of each other so that everyone is on the same perceived level. Men's suits are essentially a uniform, nothing more, nothing less, just a uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Of course, if it were a group of female doctors, they would be in navy or black skirt/suits or maybe pant suits. Granted, they would have some flair of color, but it would be minimal. They are also dressing to impress, for the setting. Mini skirt wearing cleavage showing bimbo look does not instill confidence in others in the medical profession.
    Exactly right. One of the first things we were told on our very first day of training was that society has an idea in their heads of what a doctor, consultant or scientist looks like. If you had someone in charge of your health care who dressed scruffily, or in a mini skirt, plunging neckline or some other attire more suited for clubbing you, as a patient, would not feel confident in the professionals ability. We were told that from that day we had to look like a doctor, act like a doctor and think like a doctor, the only difference between a doctor and a scientist is that scientists button up the white coat You wouldn't wear heels or open toed sandals in a lab, you wouldn't wear a mini skirt or floaty tops and you wouldn't wear long hair down, why? For your own safety and for that of others around you especially with some of the chemicals, weird wobbly bits from the body and equipment we work with. At least then it means getting dressed for a night out makes a massive transformation and can be properly enjoyed. But at least as a girl I have a wide choice of styles, colours and fabrics to dress in to go out, boys clothes are still very much the same as what would be worn at work.

I definitely agree. Men's clothing is pretty boring. Unless you have money for the designer styles. I like color, and that is hard yo find for menswear. I don't even own a suit. No point because I would never wear it.

girly girl
    Very interesting thread. Melissa, you give me hope that I could have fun wearing guy clothes. I think my chronic adoration of girl clothes has conditioned me to desire something nicer to wear when I'm forced to live in guy mode. Unfortunately I am cursed with the exact fear you have already mentioned. I'm not an insensitive person but I'll admit, I'm a hetero guy afraid of looking gay so I shy away from most "fun" guy clothes.

I would like to incorporate nicer fabrics, brighter colors, more interesting necklines, etc into my male wardrobe but I feel like there's this equation where stylish guy = gay guy. What a drag. (ha ha)

I get around this whole issue by finding and wearing some girl clothes that don't appear girlish such as jeans, socks, shoes - penny loafers and athletic shoes, and of course underwear - since they can't see that, that's where I put the color. These things I can wear all the time in boy mode and save the dresses and skirts for girl mode. I do agree that boy clothes are boring:-)

I think some men's clothing is boring. I've been able to incorporate color pretty easily into my male wadrobe, but patterns have been more difficult to add, mostly because of budget issues.

I really like Etro and if I could afford their clothes, I would buy them in a heartbeat.