Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am Gay but not Homosexual

I am Gay but not Homosexual

I want to bring back the Original Definition of Gay and bring it to the Cross Dressing community to become OUR word. The descriptor for US.

I am happy, I like to have fun, I am easy going, I am a nice guy, I am loving, I am

GAY

But, I am not homosexual.

What about you?

I'm personally in favour of banning heterosexual people from using the word "straight", I'm fed up with describing lines drawn with a ruler as direct, unerring or undeviating........

Love from a gay who is far too busy to go around typing and saying homosexual all the time!

Banned Read only
    I am gay, as in homosexual. I'm not sure why or when the word gay was first used as a description for homosexual people, but I like to think that it was done so as a way of expressing how happy homosexuals are, in spite of hostility. That is, a way of stating that they are proud of their sexuality, putting a positive spin on it by using such a positive word.

I don't think too many homosexuals will be happy about having the word "hijacked", even though we hijacked it ourselves. And crossdressers trying to claim it as a descriptive word for themselves is likely to only continue to perpetuate the myth that crossdressers are themselves homosexual (something which many people still assume and which is something that crossdressers, quite rightly, are not too happy about). For that reason alone, I think if you do want to adopt a word to become a descriptor for crossdressing, then a word other than gay would be a better option for you to "hijack".

You are going to have an uphill struggle to change something so entrenched in our vocabulary now Vicki.

A very gay Suzy

Banned Read only
    Just FYI, but "gay" DOES mean happy. It happens to be a homonym as well, now.

I was watching "Scandal" the other night and the President's Chief of Staff character, who is a married "gay" man, used the term "breeder" when referring to a "straight" individual.

I detest the term "breeder" as much as anyone would detest using any word to describe someone not to be included in their group. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to assign pejoratives to identify individuals.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Banned Read only
    I am Happy and Gay..just as the songs says

I always look on he bright side as well.
    One thing I liked in Australia, you can buy an icecream on a stick called a "Gaytime."
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiarata View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to assign pejoratives to identify individuals.
    How is 'breeder' a pejorative? I keep hearing that marriage is supposed to be limited to men and women because the whole purpose is to have kids? Homosexuality is supposed to be wrong because sex without procreation is supposed to be wrong.

I thought breeding was the WHOLE point of the argument and the root of all bias against homosexuals. What shall we call straight people than if not breeders? Dieters?

Quote Originally Posted by VickiTheGamer View Post
    I am happy, I like to have fun, I am easy going, I am a nice guy, I am loving, I am
    You are a man dressed as a woman.

The other guys are definitely calling you gay. Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Part Time Lesbian Diva CassandraSmith's Avatar
    "Don we now our gay apparel?"

I guess I do feel gay and I'm also heterosexual. I'm getting confused again? Actually, I feel more girly than gay when I dress. Since I'm the serious type, now that I think about it, I'm not really very gay most of the time.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by VickiTheGamer View Post
    I want to bring back the Original Definition of Gay and bring it to the Cross Dressing community to become OUR word. The descriptor for US.
    I am happy, I like to have fun, I am easy going, I am a nice guy, I am loving, I am GAY
    But, I am not homosexual.
    What about you?
    I was going to answer using only two words, but the software will not allow replies less than 15 letters. So.....

No.
    Why?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    How is 'breeder' a pejorative? I keep hearing that marriage is supposed to be limited to men and women because the whole purpose is to have kids? Homosexuality is supposed to be wrong because sex without procreation is supposed to be wrong.

I thought breeding was the WHOLE point of the argument and the root of all bias against homosexuals. What shall we call straight people than if not breeders? Dieters?

In regards to your comment in response to mikiarate, thank you. Simply, thank you!

In regards to your comment in response to VickiTheGamer, you know, I wrote a much longer, wordy post, that essentially you have summed up in one sentence. I wish I could be a succinct in getting my point across. But nevertheless, once again, thank you.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    it is a bit funny how a word, gay becomes co-opted by a certain community. how did that happen?

its kind of like how the rainbow has become a symbol too. how did that happen too?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I like playing, "secret words", that no one but us understands. Takes me back to 3rd grade!

Let me try one: "I'm a gloff who likes fengleese". I'm SURE all the dressers out there will understand!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post

The thoughts come tumbling to mind ....
    Breeder is perjorative in the same way that queer is perjorative.
    Not all straight people are able to breed, so the term is not all-encompassing and therefore unsuitable.
    Not all gay people are happy or queer.
    Marriage is no longer used to describe only the union of a man and a woman.

Language is limited and limiting.
    It also causes pain more often than it heals.
    Enough said, I think.
    Last edited by GaleWarning; 02-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Sounds like a tit for tat situation, and no, not that kind of tit. The non-breeders referencing the breeders. So what? I actually laugh when I hear someone use "breeder". Since I like to laugh, it sounds like a funny joke to me. I am was a breeder who likes to brag that 'it" worked the first time. I am not a breeder anymore due to cancer. Any word can be pejorative if used in a specific way, with a specific tone of voice and at a specific moment in time or situation. So if used humorously I will laugh, or at least giggle on the inside. Lighten up, life is way too short to let every word spoken start to become a downer that we don't want to hear.

Well, you're entirely free to describe yourself as gay. Just beware it doesn't lead to some awkward misunderstandings

for me and to describe me, i agree with everything you wrote except for the one word that i would omit...
    the "not"
    paula

The term "Gay" was used even before Cole Porter was writing Tunes on Broadway. It was used as kind of a underground means of identification when meeting someone new, and later became mainstream for that community.

So, I think they kind of have "Dibs" on That Label! We need to find something that is exclusive to ourselves. No "borrowing" from The "Gay Community!"

Peace and Love, Joanie

Platinum Member
    Sorry Vicki, You just can't un-ring a bel, l That word has been Hijacked.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. For example...There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France . Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

Why is it that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If teachers taught, why don't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Why do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

Why is it your house can burn up as it burns down, you fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm goes off by going on. When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

And finally one last question to end this rather long post...Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick' ?
    Life's a dance you learn as you go
    Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
    Don't worry 'bout what you don't know
    Life's a dance you learn as you go

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Wilde View Post
    I'm personally in favour of banning heterosexual people from using the word "straight", I'm fed up with describing lines drawn with a ruler as direct, unerring or undeviating........

Love from a gay who is far too busy to go around typing and saying homosexual all the time!
    Do they use the term Bent to refer to us in the UK or is that reserved to someone who can be bought?

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Do they use the term Bent to refer to us in the UK or is that reserved to someone who can be bought?
    No, flatland, it refers to an offended fender.

Iam heterosexual now. I sometimes wonder tobe a female homosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Senneca View Post
    And finally one last question to end this rather long post...Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick' ?
    I don't know the answer to that. I'm still puzzling out the pronunciation of "...ough" in trough, through, thought, dough, enough, etc.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]