Thread: Coating for Jewelry? (Some metals cause a rash)

Coating for Jewelry? (Some metals cause a rash)

I usually don't have a problem with allergies to jewelry. Probably because I never where any in guy mode. After shaving very very close, my neck gets irritated. Although my skin was covered with make up, some inexpensive necklaces have given me a painful rash (revealed after removing make up).

Is there a simple and inexpensive way to coat "fashion" / "costume" jewelry to prevent this? I searched on line and found a few expensive things that seemed like clear nail polish. One site said simply use actual clear nail polish.

Any good ideas out there?
    Mary

a light coat of clear nail polish on the metal may help

My problem is the "silver" dissolves and I end up with brass jewelry. (and if anyone knows how to fix that..PM me)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

It kinda sucks, forced me to only wear white gold or gold. Unfortunately that gets expensive so I find myself wearing less and less

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    My daughter for instance had a nickel allergy. If she wore jeans with a snap at the waist she would get a rash at that exact spot. Yes you can use clear polish to avoid this problem.
    Last edited by darla_g; 02-19-2013 at 12:39 PM.

varnish. use to watch my mom do it all the time

Miriam
    My sister has this problem. She sticks to gold (earrings, necklaces) and it's no problem. An expensive solution, but perhaps necessary.

Miriam

I'm allergic too to some jewelry, I have my ears pierced and for sometime I did wear earrings but in the end they only caused me problems. Its a shame but I can't use my favorite huge ear rings I used to wear. I guess I should try magnetic earrings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    My problem is the "silver" dissolves and I end up with brass jewelry. (and if anyone knows how to fix that..PM me)
    Like me Lorileah, you have bought cheap plated jewellery.
    Nice flashed, silver and gold. Bought in Hong Kong and other Asian countries.
    The plating wears off and the chemicals leach into the skin.
    Causing irritation.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

From second-hand experience, (the gg ex-wife), I have to second and third what Lorileah and "Mary" posted - clear polish will work.

Cover the offending jewelry with clear nail laquer and just remember to re-coat every few wearings.

LLAP
    “They’re not women’s clothes. They’re my clothes. I bought them.” (Eddie Izzard)

I would coat them in a black plastic trash bag and set them by the curb....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Silver Member
    You could try jewelry completely made from an inexpensive, hypoallergenic metal like stainless steel if you can't afford gold or silver.
    http://www.evesaddiction.com/items_666__page2.html

It might also be interesting to try as a science project of sorts; I'd try wearing a necklace like that and see if you still get the rash, as it would help rule out the other necklaces you have as the finite cause.

Wow - some great ideas. Buying sterling silver or gold would be best. But since I wear these thing so infrequently, I can't justify it. Plus, there's the "try -it" factor. And, a few of the things I buy are larger, flashy bling, that would cost a fortune in silver or gold. I'm liking clear polish and lacquer solutions so far.

Since nail polish can be a bit viscous, I'm wondering if it might interfere with a fine chain, and make it move / bend a little funny, though
    Mary

Nail polish ? You guys think like a girl!

Nail polish is lacquer. Now what makes more sense, trying to coat a chain necklace with nail polish and a little brush in the cap or buying a spray can of clear lacquer hanging it up and spraying it?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    I'm allergic too to some jewelry, I have my ears pierced and for sometime I did wear earrings but in the end they only caused me problems. Its a shame but I can't use my favorite huge ear rings I used to wear. I guess I should try magnetic earrings.
    That's when you switch to non-reactive metals like gold, silver, or stainless steel.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post

Nail polish is lacquer. Now what makes more sense, trying to coat a chain necklace with nail polish and a little brush in the cap or buying a spray can of clear lacquer hanging it up and spraying it?

Um...wait I know this...um... I choose.....No really I got this...
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I would coat them in a black plastic trash bag and set them by the curb....
    Omg, that's funny

a light coat of clear nail polish on the metal may help

Buy better jewelry?
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    Buy better jewelry?
    Or find a rich boyfriend....
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

Or find a rich boyfriend....
    That'll work too!
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Hello "Mary"

The best way to stop this problem is finding jewelery that does not give you issues. Coatings tend to introduce another set of problems and must be replaced from time to time.