Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for shopping in male mode for femme clothes?

First off..........you can always say your shopping for your girlfriend/wife......which is a normal activity (in the eyes of the world) That aside, I have very seldome gotten a second glance or condemed feeling form a SA. Most people shopping are busy looking for their needs and don't really pay attention to you. Go shop for mens underware and you will see what I mean.........then go shop for womens and its pretty much the same. As for trying things on, I do try to be discrete, not using the changing rooms if the store is busy, but if quiet, I have taken ladies things into the mens dressing room, and have used the ladies dressing rooms. I've had SA's help me with things and have asked if I could try things on with no problems. so the big thing is just he courage to go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

in my early days

I too gave the usual stories about shopping for every female in the family and every possible gift giving occasion. Only once as a teen did I have a clerk ask me point blank "What do you do with these after you're done?" thinking I was buying the babydolls to use for sexual gratification.

I soon learned that being up front and honest usually garnered their acceptance and/or admiration for being brave enough to be honest. Several specialty stores I have shopped at over the years were very helpful and some even suggesting I try things on and NOT asking me to come back later when the clientele in the store were fewer in number.

What can they do to you that will shorten your life? Nothing! Just go in and go right to what you want. Be honest and don't BS and you will feel incredibly better and more confident. They are offering merchandise for sale and you are looking to trade them your hard earned money.

Like anything, the more you do it the easier it becomes. The very first items I ever bought were a bra and girdle. I was shaking so much I thought the store was going to collapse on me. Now its nothing to go into a store and buy something (I always shop in drab) and if its panties or a bra I want I'll look and search until I find what I'm looking for.

Girls..I soooo appreciate your comments...I feel my confidence growing with each one.

Leah

Hi Leah,

Yep, pretty much like everyone else has said here. Just go do it! Really not many people, if any, will notice or care what you're doing. And you don't have to explain to anyone why or who you're buying things for if you don't want to.

It does take some getting used, I'll admit. Really though, anymore I just browse as long as I like and buy what I want. No creeping at the edge of the womens department, no nervousness, just go right in and get what you want!

Good Luck!

short story..i've walked in to a layne bryant with my SO and we were looking at panties and then the SO went to look at something else. well i started to pick out what i wanted with other women around. i did it with a smile and the ladies at the register knew that they were form me as my SO is not near the same size. so i guess my advice to you is enjoy and smile

Autumn & Amy...I like your style! I admit that I do enjoy playing the game with the SA a little...just gotta make sure my nerves don't get the best of me.

Leah

I don't have any problem going shopping for female clothes in male mode. I go into the stores and the sometimes I tell the SA I just shopping for a gift for my daughter (sometimes I whisper to them depending if there somebody around) but if they the only one there, I tell them it for me and they be gladly to help. But I go when the store first open in the morning so that I can enjoy shopping without no one around.

I have a couple stores i shop in, first time i walked into dress barn and looked around and got help,, around the 3rd time they got used to me being there and when the sales associate asked me for help i said i was looking for a thin dress with pattern thats on the web site,, she showed me and i asked for a 16,, it looked small so i held up the 18 next to it,, she said would you like to try it on,,, they was on to me,,,, i tried it on and it fit great,,,, i bought it,, she said wear it well,, a couple times later she asked me to start a fitting room while i was holding clothes right in front of other customers,, some customers eyes widened,, she put me right in the busy middle rooms even though they have rooms in the back of the store, i asked her why and what if others had a problem,, she said you have a right and its their problem and if they dont like then they can shop elsewhere,,, its nice to go and be known, shop and try on where you dont have to ask,, by the way, i shop in guy mode.... she did say once please come in on this date to shop because we are having a special night with a makeup sales girl and also another cd is coming,, i went in drag and walked the store wearing new stuff,,, was awsome....
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    Just do it, as already said nobody cares and the ones that do care can go jump in the lake. I shop mostly enfemme and I can tell you that I don't pass so it's even worse than doing it in male mode and I really don't care what anyone thinks since I am not hurting anyone. In reality I am helping the economy and athe business that I choose to shop at.
    I want to be this girl!

Southern California - San Gabriel Valley - Covina
    When I first started shopping for myself, I was scared and intimidated. Normal for most of us when shopping for the first time. What worked for me back then, was to tell the person working there that I was going to a backwards party that weekend and that girls were dressing as guys and vice versa. I proceeded to tell them I had no clue as to what sizes I needed, what would look good on me, ect. Every time I used that line, they would instantly get into helping me put together an outfit. That thought the backwards party sounded totally fun and were more than happy to help me find clothes that fit and looked good. I used that tactic for a long time and it just made the whole shopping experience FUN! (as it SHOULD be!) It took all the fear away from shopping. Fear that was only brought on by myself. Truth is, no one cares if you are a guy shopping for women's clothes.

I finally came to the realization that I was allowing people I've never met, and will never know, to control and dictate who I am, what I want to wear, where I can shop, and for what? Because I was allowing these complete strangers to have that control over me, because of self imposed fear. No more! This life is way to short to allow complete strangers the ability to prevent me from living and doing things I want to do. All because of self created fear.

Sorry, got carried away for a second. I also find that stores like kohls, for example, don't have any dressing room attendants. That when you can just load up your cart with clothes, (its best to grab 2 different sizes of the same clothing item to save getting redressed to go get the right size). after my cart is filled, I just wheel it into the handicap dressing room, plenty of room for you and your cart of pretty things. Easy, discreet and fun!

As with anything, it takes time to get good at something. and that goes for shopping as well. My days of shopping fears and going out fears are long behind me. Eventually evolve. Hugs!
    Last edited by Debbi; 02-22-2013 at 10:30 AM.

I always go clean, fresh and dressed in business shirt, pants and good leather shoes, looking clean and professional makes a big difference on how they view you, the contrast kind of works as well, professional guy whom wears a dress etc, they think, well, didn't see that coming, lol.

Its so important to make sure they fit, easy to waste lots of money, if the S/O doesn't ask you to try on, you should ask, after all, all they can say is no, nothing to loose, in fact, if they refuse, I take my business elsewear, there loss.

I have found a real exceptence in most shops, the S/A's seem to seize the oppurtunity to help you out, maybe it makes there day a bit more interesting and leave's them with an interesting story to tell at the end of the day.

I have had plenty of helpful S/A's, but I do steer clear if they are under 23 or so.
    Normally the full time ladies are also best, so also steer clear of the part timers, if your the first guy they have helped, they will be a bit freaked out which then makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, shopping is so much fun but only fun as long as the S/A is comfortable and happy to help as well.

I am always really thankfull and appreciative, I think we are so much more gratefull than the other female customers and it really makes their day.

Girls...these ideas and perspectives are very reassuring to me...thanks so much.

I really do think I will simply tell that the items are for me and make sure I walk out with things that fit and compliment me.

But Debbi, gotta say, luv the backwards party idea!

Leah

I just got back from Ross a couple of hours ago and bought like three dresses a skirt and blouse. The store was filled with women, but I just told myself that I'm a TGirl and I don't need to explain anything to anyone. Usually I'll say something at check out about making my girlfriend happy, but not today. I just picked the stuff out, put it in my cart, stood in line and payed for it. I think a couple ladies looked at me, but I just shrugged it off. This stuff does get easier if we don't psyche ourselves out beforehand.

If you feel awkward at checkout, just casually ask for a gift receipt as well. This sends the message that the clothes are presents without saying that they are for you. Today, I was just excited about the things I found, so I didn't care.

Cheers,

Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

Just go in and buy what you want

I got to go shopping today!!!! It was so fun!!! I bought a nest bra and panties, a skirt, 3 tops and a pair of boots. I did it in the usual fashion. . Male mode (underdresses). I did get a get weird looks when I trued on the boots. But know one asked who they where for or anything other then did I find everything ok. I guess I just pushed everyone out of my mind and lived in the moment.
    king for a day, princess by dawn.

Love your sister Ravin.

Crossdresser
    Just go in and shop for whatever it is you want, even if it's lingerie. Be honest; tell them it's for you and you will get really good service. There are a lot more guys buying womens clothes than you think. Ask one of the SA and they will tell you.

I've never shopped enfemme. Always in drab but often underdressed. I've never had any kind of an issue. Once or twice the SA's have been less than friendly or have not made eye contact as I was paying but on the other side of the coin, I have had plenty who were quite helpful and engaging. While I have never come out and admitted that the items were for me, I've dropped plenty of hints - such as asking if the slips tended to run large or that "I" was looking for a certain style or color or saying "I think this size will fit" In several situations, I do think that had I carried the conversation a little longer, they might have asked if things were for me or I would have asked to try them on but it was only my reluctance that stopped it short. Nevertheless, in those situations, I think they would have been just fine with me trying on things in drab.

So, I guess that I've been long winded, but in short, just go and buy. It will be OK. But, as a forewarning, many places will want you to join thier rewards clubs and they will want name, address, e-mail and phone number. I have given a few an e-mal addres and they send me more information than I need.

I just go in and shop for what ever i want, it dont take long for the SA to figure out how you are shoping for. Last week i went to Dillards and was shoping for a bra before i know it the SA had me in a dressing room and had brought me 6 bras, 2 dresses and 2 girdles and try to sell me shoes.