Thread: Don't Be One

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't Be One

I feel as though the issue of whether women CD or not has been hammered out to death on this forum. (This is concerning GGs who buy things like jeans...not FTMs). So, needless to say, we're all pretty split on this issue. (Well, "split" if you discredit how the GGs feel on the issue...where it seems like all of us feel like we aren't crossdressing). So, since we are all "split," I propose a different discussion.

I have sympathy for men that feel like the men's department is a bit creatively challenged. I more or less agree that it sucks, but I never quite understood why the solution for this problem was to lament/finger point at GGs. After all, most of us aren't designing your clothes...or, even shopping in your department. I never quite understood the purpose of how this particular method of retribution would accomplish anything for the men in question. But, I do understand basic economics...and, so I wanted to propose a different method to those who just feel as though they are lacking in wardrobe variety...

The first argument is that women CD all of the time and it's downright sexist for men not to be allowed to CD. In my experience in the humble state of Alabama, our culture is becoming politically correct to almost a state of fear in offending anyone...it seems as though there are quite a number of court cases being fought and won on the basis that people should be allowed to be who they want to be. Most people I know wouldn't dare say a word to someone's face that would marginalized them...but, everyone seems to despise everyone once enough people are out of ear shot. But, this is how changes in culture have been made. Women wanted to be seen as equal and not as property/sex objects, so we changed our garb to be taken seriously. It was quite a scandal at the time, and many women had very unfair things said about them...but, they kept on...and, eventually won the right to not have to wear a skirt or hide their ankles without hearing a chorus of clicking tongues in the background. It happened so long ago that nearly all women in modern nations do not even question slacks. It's almost quite confusing when you get an angry male in a skirt (and, sometimes prosthetics) yelling at you that you TOO are crossdressing if you wear pants. I often find myself asking, "We'll, what do you want us to do about it?" And, most women have other wars to fight, so we leave it up for you all to figure out...until it comes up again, I suppose.

It seems quite obvious, but hiding behind a computer and ranting to other crossdressers isn't going to cause much of a cultural change. Everyone else has historically put the problem in the face of the community. The transsexual community is doing a phenomenal job at spreading the message of what it means to feel transgendered...but, it seems like most CDs have stayed firmly in the closet.

What is worse is that there is the argument to change male fashion, but most here buy female-targeted clothing items quietly and only make the passing snide remarks to GGs (who again usually have very little to do with your fashion industry).

So, if I were a clothing designer (or clothing store), I would see business is booming for female fashion. Should I worry much about the MTF TS population?...Heck no, they're identified female anyway...Why fix what's not broken? Maybe I'm aware that there are men that would want more female oriented designs in the male department... Turns out the fashion industry tried to make a splash/turn some heads with female-designed clothing that was marketed to men, but it failed epically. The only conclusion to be made goes back to economic of supply and demand...it's apparently not that big of deal to most men. Or, so it seems...

It has been said that most men will try "crossdressing" at some point in their life (where my psychology textbook came up with this survey, I have no idea). So, one would think there would be quite the market for female-designed clothes in the men's department. But, if no one is going out there and demanding it, how will there be change?

It's a hard one...and, at the end of the day, fussing at rather confused GGs is much easier. However, I would like to ask how I (and other GGs) are holding you back in your fashion adventures? On a scale of 1 to 10, how effective is it to just point a finger (or, in most cases, an anonymous Internet post) at GGs while insisting that we are also crossdressers? From my observations, a negative opinion is actually given to the CDing community, because most people don't take kindly to accusations that they feel are unfounded.

So, for those in knots at the lack of femininity in men's clothing, I wold like to ask what you personally plan on doing to rectify this situation. I can only hope that the plan does not begin and end with anonymous posts about how marginalized you are, or how women are equally guilty.

And, furthermore, how effective is such argument in this society? The real issue is that something culturally changed in how women dress many, many, many years ago...it was quite the scandal back in the day...but, does a valid social opinion really exist if most people have moved past it? Was it incorrect to have moved past it, or is it incorrect to have an archaic view on society's operations? I was also wondering how much of an impact passive movements have had in the past...can anyone recall a movement that changed history, but only required one group passively bemoaning at another? Is it the job of the group being accused (in this case GGs) to fight your own battles? I just ask because most political stances that I support generally just ask me to join their cause...they usually explain their stance to me in a way that doesn't pass off their problems on someone else.

I think a novel challenge for people who feel this way to become seen. If you aren't the type for active change, perhaps you can just show public support for those who do want the change. (This does require more than anonymous Internet posts of encouragement). And, though I could care less what is in the men's department, I show you my support...I make it a point to bring up TG topics to my social groups. So, tell me (and everyone else who wants you to wear what you want to wear) what we can do to help this change for you. And, I do hope your solution doesn't involve GGs to come out of the closet as CDs. (I almost feel that to do something like that is quite insulting for many who feel their CDing is a unique part if their personality).

So, that's it. I know I would be hoping in vain for there to be an extinction of posts looking for validation from other CDs that GGs are all CDs in disguise. But, I do hope that the ball gets rolling on constructive ideas that might actually lead to things that we could do to help make the community of males that desire feminine fashion to readily available/marketed to males more visible. If parts of the above post seem tongue-in-cheek, it's because they are...but, I do sincerely want you to get what you want...but, I also believe (and, I think most of you know it deep down) that you're going about things entirely the wrong way.

There is a running joke in my family where we tell each other not to "be one" when we are traveling...essentially, when we catch ourselves acting like a typical, idiot tourist, we give the accused a firm (but playful) expression and we say, "I just want you to know...you're being one." But, oddly enough, this phrase seemed to filter over into other parts of our life when we started acting like kind of an asshole.

And, with that I also pose the challenge that you don't be one...don't be That CD...*insert visual of angry CD in a skirt pointing at a confused GG in jeans and telling her that you are one and the same* Did it really move you toward what you want? Or, were you just guilty of being one?

I guess I'll end on that note.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 02-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck