Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Wife Wants Me To Dress Drag For A Party. Should I?

My Wife Wants Me To Dress Drag For A Party. Should I?

I'd like to get a community opinion on this one.

As I've been chronicling over on my blog I have told my wife about my crossdressing and she has not only been supportive but also understanding. My wife has always been LBGT friendly, and she has a brother who is FTM; so I guess a crossdressing husband isn't such a big deal.

Anyway, one of the things my wife enjoys is a good drag show. She thinks drag queens are funny and entertaining and a good way to spend a Saturday night (there's a local event, Drag Queen Bingo, that's so popular you need to reserve seats weeks in advance). She also likes Ru Paul, and has watched every season of Ru Paul's Drag Race.

In fact, she and some of her friends like the show so much, that they're thinking of holding a "watch party" for the finale this season -- maybe 8-10 women, all fans, drinking Absolut cocktails (it's a show thing) and seeing who wins. As my wife is telling me about the party they want to hold, I jokingly said to her,

"If it's going to be a Drag Race party, you should hire a drag queen to come."

Her: "Do you know how expensive a good drag queen is? They're paid performers."

Me (jokingly): "Well heck, I could be your drag queen."

Wife (big, serious eyes): "Really? You'd do that? That would be such a great idea!"

Now, my wife, as I said, is LGBT-community saavy. She clearly understands the difference between a drag queen (gay men thumbing their noses at traditional femininity) and a crossdresser (heterosexual men seeking comfort, identity, or enjoyment in expressing their feminine side). And I did sort of put my foot in my mouth by offering, even jokingly.

So, should I do it? Should I take the opportunity to "drag out" in front of a room full of women? My wife insists that no one would "suspect anything"; they'd just think I was "the best husband ever" for dressing up for their party. And I'm sure I could pull it off; in some ways, my size and stature actually work in my favor for doing drag. It would be performance comedy, which would be fun; and it would be a chance to just go gonzo with the en femme, at least for one nigh.

On the other hand, would it be perpetuating the stereotype? If I do drag now, then in the future one or more of these women finds out I'm a crossdresser, they might conflate the two and assume I'm really some sort of flaming queen.

All opinions welcome.
    Ali Edwards

Transgender Science ~ Blogging with WrodPress ~ Tweeting on Twitter

"I am half-sick of shadows," said / The Lady of Shalott.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    By all means go, have fun, Jeannie and I have been to a few drag shows togeather as BFF's , Its a time to have fun, see a great show and just be yourself fo a change. Drag shows are about entertainment and when the audience particiapates it's even more fun.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Have fun!!
    I would.
    I LOVE shiny black tights and control top pantyhose with reinforced toes!!

Heck yeah! If her group of friends are already fans of drag queens, I doubt they'll react negatively to having one in the flesh joining them!

Let me know if you need a sidekick! LOL
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Dont overthink it. Just do it and have fun!

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Omg Yes. I would in a minute. First off you are so lucky to have a wife that is so accepting and wants to help with your dressing. Then for you to be able to dress in an environment that will acfept you. Go for it, It sounds like so much fun.
    Erica

You have to ask. Go for it. Hell you need an assistant I'll come too

Banned Read only
    I would be very tempted to do it. It would be great fun, and indeed funny. But I understand your concerns. You being a crossdresser isn't for the amusement of others, but that's exactly what the purpose of this night would be.

I don't think you would be perpetuating a stereotype though. You're married. You're straight. Even if in the future one or more of the women present do find out that you're a crossdresser, they are more likely to respond by saying "ah, that's why you enjoyed that night so much" as opposed to saying "you're a crossdresser, and you did drag once, so you must be gay".

All in all, if I were you, I'd do it. And have a great time doing so. Your wife is clearly up for it, and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't result in a positive night for all involved.

I would do it Sounds like it would be a load of fun

i think you would have to do it, at least it is acceptance, and any form of acceptance is good to start with

When my wife found out about my dressing she kept refering me to a drag queen. It took months for me to get it thru to her that I am not a D/q.
    Now the word doesnt come up again between us because she realizes thats not who I am.
    All I can say is be caredul on agreeing to be the host. She may start to look at you differently seeing she knows the difference between the two.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by JamieNZ View Post
    Dont overthink it. Just do it and have fun!
    That appears to be the consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by MsRenee View Post
    When my wife found out about my dressing she kept refering me to a drag queen. It took months for me to get it thru to her that I am not a D/q.
    Now the word doesnt come up again between us because she realizes thats not who I am.
    All I can say is be caredul on agreeing to be the host. She may start to look at you differently seeing she knows the difference between the two.
    Renee
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah, it's not my wife I'm concerned with; she's got a clearer vision. But other people -- what you describe is exactly what I'm afraid of.
    Ali Edwards

Do it if you think you can enjoy yourself

Quote Originally Posted by SandraInHose View Post
    Let me know if you need a sidekick! LOL
    LOL! We could do a dance-off. "Lip-sync for your life."
    Ali Edwards

Don't ask, do it, do it, do it.....
    When you are asked to partake in your favorite past time do not even think about it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    are you really asking this community? That like asking a barfly if she wants a drink.

DON'T DO IT!!!

It sounds like it might be a lot of fun and cross-dressing is supposed to be a dour shameful activity best kept to basements and other poorly lit rooms.

Nothing good can come from this except fun and self discovery and no CD worth her hip forms wants any of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Go for it...sounds like a great way to be "one of the girls" for the night, have lots of fun and no one suspect a thing.
    Your wife sounds fantastic...you're so lucky to have her and her support.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Let me see, wife wants you to go as a drag queen...the other women there apparently would react favorably to it...and they would think you were a great husband for doing this, then by all means do it.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariamythe View Post
    My wife insists that no one would "suspect anything"
    If you do it well, and why wouldn't you, be assured that someone there will suspect something. But, maybe that isn't all that bad and you do have an understanding SO to run interference.

I did something similar 25 years ago, and I was nowhere as good as I would be today, and it took 15 years for co-worker comments to fade away. They were generally good natured about it but whenever the topic of drag, transvestism, or crossdressing came up (generally some SNL skit or whatever) all eyes looked to me for a reaction. Other than that one event I was totally closeted to these people (everyone at the time, actually). I'm still not out to friends and family, but my wife tells me more people know than I think.

All that said I would do it again if a fun sounding event like yours was offered to me.

If you think it will be fun then why not? Myself I wouldn't know how to portray a drag queen, I have spent too much time and effort just to look like a lady. But don't kid yourself. If you appear in public there will be some, maybe many who will have a less than approving view of it and the word will spread.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I really dont know why you asked ? It is like someone giving you a Million dollars Just do it (as Nike says) and have fun fun fun !

Linda
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

I would not know either how to portray a drag queen, besides that, I don't even like the style. I would say do it if you feel comfortable enough. You know your wife is by your side and that is a great support.

I say go for it! And no not all Drag Queens are gay. The difference between crossdresser and drag queen is that crossdressers (gay/straight/bi doesnt matter) dress up for numerous reasons, its always different for each one, but for drag queens its about peformance lol just thought i'd clear that up.

Now go get a big wig, about 20 gallons of makeup, and the fanciest dress you can find and BAM! Drag race party here you come! lol
    ‎"Music is a lie. It is a lie. Art is a lie. You have to tell a lie that is so wonderful that your fans make it true." -Lady Gaga

Monique Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by moniqueCD21 View Post
    I say go for it! And no not all Drag Queens are gay. The difference between crossdresser and drag queen is that crossdressers (gay/straight/bi doesnt matter) dress up for numerous reasons, its always different for each one, but for drag queens its about peformance lol just thought i'd clear that up.

Now go get a big wig, about 20 gallons of makeup, and the fanciest dress you can find and BAM! Drag race party here you come! lol
    While its true drag is performance and crossdressing is a way of expression (for any reason), drag queens tend to be mostly gay. Yes not all of them, but most are, while crossdressers are mostly straight. The difference in the sexual orientation is what might dance on peoples head if they ever get to know, but anyways crossdressers despite being straight are usually viewed as gay too so it won't matter if he gets caught, people will still have some doubt about his sexual preference, even if he is married. People can be really really ignorant and dumb...