Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facing the world!

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar

Facing the world!

I've accomplished another milestone tonight...I got out of the house, and out of the car!

My fiancee wanted some Starburst, so I, still dressed in the outfit I had taken photos in, went to get them for her. I put on my cardigan, packed up my purse, and braved the 30-degree outside temperatures to get to the car.

I drove to a supermarket somewhat distant from my home, but in a decent neighborhood and with which I was familiar. The store was open 24 hours, and there was an empty parking space right near the door. So I calmed the butterflies in my stomach, parked the car, put the keys in my purse, opened the door, and stepped out into the public eye!

Two minor bobbles ensued. As I was getting out of the car, a group of youths was exiting the store and passing me. I might have heard a derogatory comment or two, but I couldn't swear to it, it may not have been directed at me, and it wasn't my concern in any case. Then, as I walked into the store, my heel slipped on what must have been a recently-cleaned floor, and I stumbled for a second before catching myself on a nearby shelf. No hurt, and nobody apparently noticed, certainly no store employees.

From there, it was all the way across the store to the candy aisle, where I searched for a couple of moments before finding a package of Starburst, and then all the way back to the self-checkouts. The "click, click, click" of my boots on the tile floor was reassuring as I proceeded at a measured pace. At the self-checkout, I set down the bag while I dug my clutch wallet from my purse and retrieved my shopper's card to scan. For some reason, my nerves were creeping up on me.

Scan the Starburst, drop it in the bag. Tap the "Pay Now" button on the screen. Tap "Card." Dig out debit card, swipe it through the terminal. Several taps to enter the PIN. No, no cash back. Yes, this is the correct amount. The receipt printed; I picked it up and dropped it in the bag with the candy, put my cards and wallet away, and turned to leave. The attendant at the self-checkout lines looked my way. I said, "Thank you," in a somewhat dry-mouthed but still proper Amy-voice. "Have a good night," she responded. I walked out to the car, found my keys again, unlocked it, got myself in, and departed. It took a few blocks before it sunk in what I had just accomplished...Amy had stepped into the "real world" on her own, and returned unscathed!

Now, I'm sure the first time is the hardest, so next time I won't have all those jitters to deal with. But this is a great accomplishment for me, one which I'd never have dared even as recently as three months ago!

- Amy
    Last edited by AmyGaleRT; 02-14-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: she *did* want Starburst :)
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

congrats to you!! such a great feeling to be out! it does get easier, you will see that the next time you go out... and next time grab me some M&M peanuts...
    paula

Well done Amy
    When you first started CDing did you realize that you wanted to take Amy out of the house?.
    Has this been a natural progression for you?.
    Is this something that you would like to do more?.

I haven't been out of the house as of yet and it is a subject that interests me greatly. I have no desire as of yet to venture out but it does seem like an adventure when I have read posts about venturing outside good for you Amy

Amy that sounds like a wonderful first time! Glad it went so well for you!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Congratulations Amy! It is a big accomplishment and here is to wishing you have many more!
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

Congrats, Amy! I'm happy for you. You went for it, that is awesome.

Cheers,

Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

I remember how elated I was when I had my first outing. I'm glad your interaction with those youths was not bad. That could have really ruined the experience. I recommend going out during school hours until you get more comfortable. The dark seems safe, but during the day (especially early in the day), you are only going to see employed people and stay-at-home moms. They are a safe crowd! I have not yet found anything I cannot do while dressed up.

I don't like skittles, I prefer M&M's.
    It would have been a better story if you had bought M&M's.
    The first time out is wonderful and by your animated description you will remember it for the rest of your life.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Way to go Amy! It only get better from here
    The minute you think of giving up think of the reason you held on for so long

Aspiring Member Tammy Nowakowski's Avatar
    Way to go amy, It will get easier as time goes on
    i hope you got her the Skittles she wanted and not the Starburst unless she wanted starbursts

Amy, Fantastic that you over came your fears and went out to the store. I am sure that this will be the 1st many times out in the future.

Linda
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Congratulations! That is wonderful to hear.

One thing... next time please be sure to have your keys at the ready before you leave the store. You shouldn't go out to your car and look for them. That leaves you vulnerable. We have to think like women.

Banned Read only
    Congratulations! I know it is a difficult step to take. I don't have the fortitude to make contact with people. The only time I've done that was a Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by andrea lace View Post

I haven't been out of the house as of yet and it is a subject that interests me greatly. I have no desire as of yet to venture out but it does seem like an adventure when I have read posts about venturing outside good for you Amy
    Now I can finish my though. I had to step away and run an errand. I find being en femme relaxing and I use it to relieve stress. Therefore, I really do not want to have contact with people who show their disapproval.

I've found the best time for me to venture outside the home is in the early evening. My neighborhood does not have sidewalks, so I drive to a residential street with sidewalks. When I do venture out for a walk I will do it when it is raining, not a driving rain but a light rain, which necessitates using an umbrella. An umbrella is very useful for obscuring my masculine face. I cannot do anything about my height and body size.

I borrow my wife's raincoat or wear a light jacket. I love the feel of the cool air caressing my legs. I did find it a little unnerving and a little uncomfortable on the feet to walk for a long time on concrete. So, how did I solve that problem. I do what all GG's seem to do when going or coming from work. I bought a pair of athletic shoes that are all white. I changed the laces to a hot pink. They look like any shoe a young woman would wear. I don pair of white ankle socks. I carry a pair of heels in a tote bag from a local grocery store in the neighborhood.

I find that allows me to get the feeling of being out as a woman without any potential disapproval. I found this is the best way for me to live within my self imposed limitations.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 02-14-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Had to run an errand.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Congrats, Amy! Lovely story

Amy, I am so proud and so envious!!! Well done! I've managed a walk in public but not into a store yet. That is my next goal. Way to go girl! Love Ariel.

Thank you! I'm sure I will remember this always, thanks to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaprimo View Post
    and next time grab me some M&M peanuts...
    I would but then I'd have to ship them all the way out there LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by andrea lace View Post
    Well done Amy
    When you first started CDing did you realize that you wanted to take Amy out of the house?.
    Has this been a natural progression for you?.
    Is this something that you would like to do more?.

Andrea, I hadn't really dreamed of taking Amy out of the house at first. But becoming more comfortable with who and what I am made it a natural thought. And it's sort of a prerequisite for other things, like getting my hair done, getting a makeover, taking Diane up on her offer for a GNO...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229 View Post
    YES! Baby steps...but you took a MIGHTY LEAP beyond that! AMY, Sweetie! THAT'S what this forum all about...encouraging each other...when I first joined i was a scared teeny...and now I'm INVINCIBLE...and that's what this forum does.

Look at my dear friend Marleena! My sweetikins...She is so so so awesome! And i have her to thank for a lot of things...PM's, my late night conversations with Reine...OMG...SHE is one sharp cookie, let me tell ya'...I could go on and on...Look at my sweety Annabelle (Foxglove)...living in a small po-dunk town in Ireland...and scared to go out.last year.....Now she struts her stuff in Dublin Ireland 'fer cryin out loud!..

Noleena, rising above the BS in Australia,

My SWEET SWEET Kaz...in Britain...I LOVE this girl...and how far she's come...SUPER MODERATOR this girl is...

Black Stockings, my NY friend...

Dianne, Nathalie, Sherry, Nigela, Tamara, Lorileah, ...and ALL my friends...we've made HUGE strides...and if it were'nt for them?...I'd still be laying in the dust! THIS forum is a help forum...no and's if's or buts...and that's just the way i see it...

We just take baby steps...and I'm proud of you Sweetness! And i don't say that lightly!

Oh...I LOVE Snickers Almond bars...can you grab me a couple? The double ones please!
    Wow, Purple! I'm impressed. I have my own share of supportive ladies here, especially Anne, Julie, Bree, and Cassy...they and everyone else have helped me become what I am. It makes me feel a little like the Ambassador of Crossdresserkind. Oh, and I guess I'm now marked for life as "the candy lady," huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjohanne View Post
    I remember how elated I was when I had my first outing. I'm glad your interaction with those youths was not bad. That could have really ruined the experience.
    Well, as I said, I couldn't swear to them actually directing any comments at me; I wasn't looking at them. And they continued on their way just as I continued on mine. Perhaps they got a laugh out of it; what of it? Except I'm sorry if they're so insecure they need to get their laughs that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I don't like skittles, I prefer M&M's.
    It would have been a better story if you had bought M&M's.
    The first time out is wonderful and by your animated description you will remember it for the rest of your life.
    You're right about that! And I already got her M&M's; she has a whole containerful at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Nowakowski View Post
    Way to go amy, It will get easier as time goes on
    i hope you got her the Skittles she wanted and not the Starburst unless she wanted starbursts
    Oops! She did want Starbursts. Typo on my part. Blame it on the excitement. Original post corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaChic View Post
    One thing... next time please be sure to have your keys at the ready before you leave the store. You shouldn't go out to your car and look for them. That leaves you vulnerable. We have to think like women.
    EEP! I totally spaced on that! You're right, a GG would think that way, so I have to think that way, too. In this case, though, the car was close to the store entrance and right under a parking-lot light. But I will remember next time!

- Amy
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Amy Congrats you did it, now don't that feel great, girl i tell you go to the Crown, they make you feel very at easy and treat you like one of the girls,Talk to Lori about it, she has worte a few threads talking about the Crown, Last time in mile high at is were, the lady toke me to feel at easy, wait to you go shop for ladies clothes as a woman you will love it, Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us girls, hugs
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Congrats Amy!! I haven't ventured out in public - just gone out the back door a couple of times for a few minutes. I would love to go out in public and think I will work up the nerve at some point.

Platinum Member
    I think what you'll find, with each step outside, is that you will have the butterflies beforehand...it's like stage fright. Some people never get over it. But when we go out, just as when we must perform in some other way, we get through the butterflies, partly by tuffing it out and partly through preparation and repetition.

I'm proud of you, Amy! It didn't hurt a bit. Other than racing heart, jitters and flutters. Soon you'll be spending the day at the mall.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Good for you, now that didn't hurt too much did it?
    I've come to the conclusion that it's none of my business what other people's opinion of me is.

After a few more baby steps you'll be out and about like some of the rest of us... In time, it'll be old hat and the time will fly by. For now, enjoy the way time slows down as your heart races... It took me the better part of 6 months to lose the butterflies... I do so miss them now. Now, I'm just a lil ol lady in heels out shopping and doin errands...

Thanks for sharing.....

Renne.....

If this forum didn't have a 15 character minimum I bet I would just have posted: Wahoo!

Maybe I could have done it like this: Wahoo!!!!!!!!!! That would've worked.

Anyways, I'll put it again here: congrats Amy. That really is a huge step to head in the store on that first trip out. I only made it to the far end of a huge gas station as far as I could get away from anyone else.

Sure sounds like you went to good ol' King Soopers. You can grab a ton of what you need there and make it through that self checkout lane so easily.

I can't wait to hear about the next trip out. Maybe someday to one of our Denver events?

-Bree

Wow! Everyone is just so great!

Quote Originally Posted by stacycoral View Post
    Amy Congrats you did it, now don't that feel great, girl i tell you go to the Crown, they make you feel very at easy and treat you like one of the girls,Talk to Lori about it, she has worte a few threads talking about the Crown, Last time in mile high at is were, the lady toke me to feel at easy, wait to you go shop for ladies clothes as a woman you will love it, Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us girls, hugs
    I don't know what or where the Crown is; I don't know many bars and things in the area, except in areas like those around places I've worked. I will have to do a search on Lori's threads to see if she describes it more. (EDIT: Found it!) And you do know I can't drink, right? (I have gout, and even one drink will result in my feet hurting the next morning like I've just tried to run a marathon in my 3-1/2" stilettos! ) I do want to visit the local Lane Bryant as Amy sometime though!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I think what you'll find, with each step outside, is that you will have the butterflies beforehand...it's like stage fright. Some people never get over it. But when we go out, just as when we must perform in some other way, we get through the butterflies, partly by tuffing it out and partly through preparation and repetition.
    I was an actor once, so I think I know what you mean. If I had been able to go with my fiancee to Walmart, it might have helped, too. (She actually admitted she was just too tired after all, so maybe it'll happen someday soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lynn View Post
    I'm proud of you, Amy! It didn't hurt a bit. Other than racing heart, jitters and flutters. Soon you'll be spending the day at the mall.
    Well, I hope so, one of these days, once "Amy's Makeover Fund" gets high enough that I can get a MAC makeover of my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi Anne View Post
    Good for you, now that didn't hurt too much did it?
    Well, if I had actually fallen when my heel slipped, it might have hurt quite a bit! I'll remember to take it a little easier next time, especially turning a corner like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree Wagner View Post
    If this forum didn't have a 15 character minimum I bet I would just have posted: Wahoo!

Maybe I could have done it like this: Wahoo!!!!!!!!!! That would've worked.

Anyways, I'll put it again here: congrats Amy. That really is a huge step to head in the store on that first trip out. I only made it to the far end of a huge gas station as far as I could get away from anyone else.

Sure sounds like you went to good ol' King Soopers. You can grab a ton of what you need there and make it through that self checkout lane so easily.

I can't wait to hear about the next trip out. Maybe someday to one of our Denver events?
    Why yes, it was King Soopers, Bree, though that was a pretty easy guess for any Denverite! And I even remembered my SooperCard to get the gas points! Every little bit helps! (And if you saw my car, you'd know why I say that! )

Hopefully, at some point I'll find out when & where those Denver events are...and by then, I may be acclimated enough to go to one! If nothing else, I hope to be able to go out to see PrideFest...at least there, even if I am read as a CD, I'll be "just another CD"!

- Amy
    Last edited by AmyGaleRT; 02-15-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: found the Black Crown Lounge :)

Amy,

How could I have missed this post? Well, probably because I've been such a busy girl. But, you deserve all the kudos I can muster. I'm so proud of you sister. This is the first step, and you should hold your head up high, kick a leg back, arch your back and relish in your feminine beauty and grace.
    Living and Loving in God's Grace,
    Anne