Thread: What is a better look for someone with broad shoulders?

What is a better look for someone with broad shoulders?

Hi ladies,

I know I am not the only one that has this problem. I have pretty broad shoulders and cant seem to find much that looks good on me. I am thinking maybe something that is a tank top or halter or even no straps.

Is it better to show shoulder if they are broader then it is to try and hide them under material? I think if I try to hide them it brings more attention to it.

Banned Read only
    do NOT show your shoulders. Crew neck, some V neck lines are ok, even tank tops with a sweater but never boatneck. Hiding them does NOT draw attention. Unfortunately, we need to hide our shoulders or look like an East German swimmer.

Platinum Member
    its a common question and common problem. What I've learned is to first avoid square shouldered tops and dresses. Go for something of a dohlman or raglan shoulder. Second, go for V-necklines whenever possible. Generally, go with darker tops and lighter bottoms. I also do what I can to accentuate my bust line and waist. Wrap tops are a good choice because they have both the V neckline and fit closely around the waist.

Next, add a little bling around your neck to attract the eye away from your shoulders. It all works together pretty well.

But I do have to say that some of those East German Swimmers were kinda cute....

As already mentioned, uncovered shoulders appear broader and flat/square/straight necklines also broaden apparent shoulder width. Crew necks, v-necks and details around the neckline tend to narrow shoulders. In general, the width of women's shoulders and hips are about the same while men's shoulders are wider then their hips. Anything that helps to disguise the inverted triangle look tends to make your shoulders not seem so broad.

Banned Read only
    I believe I am fortunate because I never was able to bulk up. No matter how much I exercised or ate, it did not work. Sp, now I am a 42 Tall with a 38 inch waist. I use to be a 38 Tall and a 30 inch waist, but, that was four decades ago. How do I adjust? I do not wear skirts because skirts have a defined waist. I choose to wear dresses that do not have a defined waist. I like empire waists that gather under the breasts/bra and flow in a manner not to define the waist. Wraps and sheaths are also good for the same reason. I do see pictures on this forum of some who are really barrel chested. Visually, to me that is a telltale sign the person may be a cross dressing male. My recommendation for those men is to do what plus size women do, wear flowing dresses.

I really have no idea. But I love puffy sleeves. The bigger and fuller the better. They just look so cute and feminine. I love looking over them.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    When we first found Tina my wife made it clear that Tina would never be a "small girl". We talked about my broad shoulders and after some mistakes and some research we've come to the following conclusions:

Keep everything vertical: That means no horizontal stipes and no wide necklines. Showing a little breast helps and V-necks are a tremendous advantage. One different kind of thing that does work is a cami with an open shirt over it so that the shirt is one long vertical line. Adding a long necklace is a plus here as well.

Keep the sleeves loose if possible: dolman sleeves are helpful, but short sleeves of any kind diminish the effect.

Keep the focus anywhere else: narrow waist, enhanced butt, bright nails, eyes that "pop".

It's all about style, and it's what GGs work with all the time!

I found the thing that works best is to divert attention away from the areas that you want to hide. If it is shoulders then wider sleeves are good, necklaces too. Of course showing a little cleavage goes a long way because they will be looking there not at the shoulders. Adding padding to the hips also works as this makes the chest to hip ratio better. Wide shoulders need a wide hip area. Long sleeves are a must and I would avoid anything less than a 3/4 sleeve. Loose is better than tight. Put the brighter colors on the bottom - skirt - and darker colors on the top. Remember the eyes are drawn to anywhere there is skin....so covering the arms and shoulders will not draw attention like a strapless top would.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Rose View Post
    As already mentioned, uncovered shoulders appear broader and flat/square/straight necklines also broaden apparent shoulder width. Crew necks, v-necks and details around the neckline tend to narrow shoulders. In general, the width of women's shoulders and hips are about the same while men's shoulders are wider then their hips. Anything that helps to disguise the inverted triangle look tends to make your shoulders not seem so broad.
    But I want to seem like a broad!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Brittany: All the idea are great here. You want to concentrate on getting the viewers eyes to move down, away from your shoulders. That is why the V neck works so well. Also, Longer V shaped necklaces or even a scarf will acomplish the task. Now what I think is the best way. If you can afford a Veronica panty that is made for you, it is unbelievable what it will do for you. Think about it, you see "larger "women all the time but generally their hips are in some proportion to ther shoulders. When they are not, you usually notice the lack of symmetry.

In addition to the tips on tops for disguising the shoulders don't forget to balance them with padding on the hips and butt. That creates the hourglass figure that will be seen and take attention away from the upper body.
    Also, longer lengths of hair falling on the shoulders softens the look, v-necks draw attention down and details at the waist bring the eye lower.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Hi all - there is so much knowledge and caring here! The ideas given in this thread are very helpful. May I ask a closely-related question? (don't mean to hijack the thread, if that's the effect I'll gladly move this). I've never been bulked up so I don't look like the Hulk, although I always feel my shoulders are broader than most other women's. But my tummy is certainly bigger than I wish. So my fundamental question is this: how do I figure out what my major figure problem actually is? Hugs - Diane
    Last edited by DianeDeBris; 01-11-2013 at 10:19 PM.

wear black, use hip pads, and try to loose weight if you can

This is great site for finding styles for your body type. http://www.shopyourshape.com/

I am amazed as to how petite I look in a roll neck long sleeved sweater.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You may have to try different kinds of outfits and see how they look.Tunics work well sometimes. The object in my mind is to minimize and/or draw attention away from your shoulders.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Brittany -

Ideas: A-line dresses and skirts; deep V-necks with a camisole underneath; a pendant necklace that draws attention to the center; short sleeves forbidden; an ample hip and derriere padded undergarment; good posture with shoulders held back - no slouching!! So ditto to what the girls are all saying.

Kay

I have broad shoulders, and since I'm in a wheelchair and use my upper body for everything there's not much that I can do about it.

There's already been a lot of great advice, but I'll just tell you what I do. I stay away from anything with gathered or padded shoulders. Short sleeves or anything sleeveless are out as well. Short sleeves that go to your elbow or 3/4 length sleeves work well on the warmer days. Darker colors like black can hide a lot, especially at night, but if you wear something loose like a peasant top or anything loose then lighter colors work as well.

And of course proportional breast forms, even slightly on the large side tend to blend in and as has already been said so much, if they're looking at your boobs they're not looking at your shoulders. LOL
    If I had any idea that therapy, hair removal, hair transplants, doctors and medications were so expensive I would have planned to be rich first.

Mountain Lass
    Well, I have shoulders like a fly-half (rugby) and have lived with this problem all my life. It was compounded by the fact I was flat-chested, my shoulder-blades being bigger than my chest!

Fortunately, I had a smaller waist and good hips and I was taller then.

First of all, feeling self-conscious about a figure like this does you more harm than redressing it, so much work has been done with women in more recent times to get us to accept the body we have and like it!

The answer to your problem is balance. You balance out the shapes of the clothes and the colours to give a pleasing profile.

This does not mean that ridiculous cders approach, squeezing your frame into inapproriate undergarments to make a profile eg an hourglass figure with broad shoulders...!

Get into the habit of presenting yourself off-square, not standing directly in front of someone balanced on both feet. Put one foot slightly behind and slightly out to the side. It shifts the weight of your body into a different profile. Give it a try in front of a mirror.

Do not put the most eye-catching piece of your outfit at the top of your torso. eg a plain top, possibly dark, like navy which has a print lower down over the bust or lower arms.

If you want to show some flesh, a v-necked top rather than round or scoop will look good.

Your bustline will now become crucial. Veer towards under- rather than over-endowment, but do not be afraid to have a figure-hugging top.

Assess what your really good figure point is and accentuate thet. And forget the damned shoulders!!!

Ha I used to play rugby I was a wing smallest guy on the team. But did get the most tries