Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any happy "out & about" TG's???

Any happy "out & about" TG's???

The virtues of one's closet has been beaten to a pulp in these pages. How about the virtues of setting foot in this wonderful world of ours?

When we choose to do this, it's for a variety of reasons and is done anywhere from baby-steps to diving in head first.

Me? I guess it was kind of like climbing a mountain...because it was there. Aside from a few Halloweens in my late-teens/early-20's, it became a "just because" type of thing a couple years later. I just went all out because it was something to do.

The problem is that I spent a lot of years flying solo because in the days before cell phones and internet, it was difficult to cultivate friendships. Now, all bets are off and the most important reason I go out these days is to be with friends. Solo outings are rare, maybe once or twice a year. I plan my outings around opportunities to be with friends, simple as that.

I perfectly understand that it takes a leap of faith to get out into this world and not give a hoot what anyone thinks but in all honesty, I personally cannot fathom not setting foot outside my own home even though at the exact same time, I totally get why many choose not to.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Oh I get out and about quite frequently. Not much by myself but occasionally. I usually meet some other TG friends
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    The virtues of one's closet has been beaten to a pulp in these pages.
    I remember way back in the day here (it seems like several lifetimes ago) writing about my blessed sanctuary that was my closet. I guess that kinda all got shot to hell and then some, huh?

Aspiring Member
    Yep. My head kept telling me a story full of woe and dread, taunts and awfulness. Once I finally made myself get out there, it was like a new start in life.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Going out dressed, Sara? For me by myself? Scary and pointless! However, the only reason I'm home tonite is because my CD friend and I decided to move our dressed outing to tomorrow nite!

So, WHY would I go out with other dressers but not alone? Because T girls r always so much fun and great company! And, if THAT'S not good reason enuff for u closet dressers that don't go out with the "girls", I'd guess it's because you've never tried it!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

All I know is that I needed to step out my front door, and enter the real world as we know it. I'm glad I do it, instead of living life in the closet. But being happy being "out & about" is the equivalent of being happy that I'm left handed.....which I'm not really left handed. But I hope you get my point. Satisfaction in knowing that I accept myself as I am, but the word "pride", as in gay pride or LGBT pride, seems irrelevant and pointless. Pride applies to the success to how we handle our situations being what we are, not the fact that we fit in the window of LGBT.

Yay! I'm left handed, and proud of it! .....do you care? Probably not.

But to your point, yes I am happy that I'm out to my friends, and I do enjoy going out as female.

I am only a boy at work.So I go wherever,whenever and howeverand have yet to see a pitchfork.I enjoy being the only TG in a mainstream place and make new friends all the time.They don't know what is in my panties and I don't tell them. The one thing I do that makes people comfortable is that they never see me "hitting" on anyone.And also I am very considerate to the girls in the bathroom in that if I am not backflooding,they can always go first.You would be surprised how many friends you can make in "there".lol

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Going out dressed, Sara? For me by myself? Scary and pointless! However, the only reason I'm home tonite is because my CD friend and I decided to move our dressed outing to tomorrow nite!

So, WHY would I go out with other dressers but not alone? Because T girls r always so much fun and great company! And, if THAT'S not good reason enuff for u closet dressers that don't go out with the "girls", I'd guess it's because you've never tried it!?

I totally agree, "group therapy" is a lot of fun, and there is strength in numbers! Going solo, while exhilarating, can be a bit scary........
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

I like to say I am happy and out and about.
    I still have reservations and afraid of being busted by someone I know.
    I think I will live the lie till I die.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes, I am one of those very happy TG's that goes out all the time, e.g. a play tomorrow night in San Francisco (plus a Broadway play there next week) and then The River City Gems annual Anniversary Party Saturday night in Sacramento with a stop a a large outlet mall on the way there during the day. I really do not know how I would handle all this if I could only get out a very few times a year. I always prefer to go out with a partner in crime, be it another CD or GG. If no one is available to go out with me, I will go out by myself, but that is not too often.

Aspiring Member
    This catches me s I returned from an evening with another T-girl at a local restaurant/lounge that is a welcoming place to catch up on each other's lives. The ability to go about life as a normal person and to be accepted (even if we challenge the gender norm) is truly freeing. Though I could never go back to a closeted life, I understand some may choose to remain in their comfort zone, but I would encourage all to at least explore their boundaries, for they may not realize what they are missing by staying behind safe walls.
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 03-07-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

I go out all of the time now, both by myself and with my girlfriends. Times out with a friend are the best for me!

For me, this is all about who I am and I have developed a degree of comfort in both genders. Being out and accepted as a woman, at least to the extent I can be, has made me the happiest and most self-fulfilled that I have ever been in my life. The couple of times that I have been accepted by the GG's while out is just heaven!

Yes, it is terrifying when you first step out that door but if you want to step out, put that fear aside and do it! You will not be sorry!
    Debby

Platinum Member
    Very much so. I lived so much of my life not even considering that it might be remotely possible for me to dress completely and convincingly as a woman. Once I finally gave it a chance, and I saw some potential, it dawned on me that I could do this. The first tentative steps out were followed by many more enjoyable experiences out in the real world. To those who cherish their closet...fine, I understand, but I can attest that life can be much more complete and fulfilling beyond its confines.

At this point, this being a very small town, I would raise more eyebrows if I went out in drab. I am blessed to be able to carry out my life by my design. It doesn't work for everybody, but when it does, it exemplifies freedom.-Celeste

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    A good friend helped me out the door, and I'll forever be indebted to her.

All my life I dreamed of being a woman, not just the clothes but the life, being "one of the girls."

I now live most of my life in "girlworld." Call it stealth, call it whatever, but I am seen and acknowleged as a woman whether I am with friends or with strangers. For example, I am a full-fledged member of a women's group, work out at a women's gym, and belong to the ladies' auxillary of a congregation.

It is a very difficult mountain to climb, it takes a very long time to travel up it, and I am very Blessed to have climbed it.

I can only wish everyone here the same as each woman here climbs her own personal mountain. May you be Blessed with reaching the summit.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Going out with friends hasn't happened for me yet because I haven't yet encountered anyone to do things with. CDing and going out are relatively new for me. I only recently made the jump from bearded wig wearer to CDing so am looking forward to attending supportive meetings in my area and introducing myself. Then...perhaps friendships with like minded ladies can develop. I've so far gone out by myself, but would love to have friends and do things with them.

I have to go out now, plain and simple. Dressing and staying at my apartment, unless I have some friend over for dinner, is just not what does it for me....never really has...but I am with you, going out solo is no fun either and the only way to do it safely, as a transwoman, is during the daylight hours....

I get out once a month or so, fully dressed. But I dress at home a couple times a week and underdress almost every day. The thoughts of the last outing and anticipation of the next is what keeps me going.
    Stephanie

For years I wanted to go out. Then after I came out to my wife I told her I needed to go out.
    We did and when we went to our tri-ess meeting we met others who did and the rest is history. Now we go out all the time and it's become so natural.
    That first step is the scariest as we all believe that Everyone is watching only us. That's not the case and once you realize that it becomes so much easier.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Count me as happy to be out and about. I lived for 20 years in a place where going out crossdressed for any reason (other than halloween, a costume party, or a theatrical appearance) was simply not an option. I left that place 9 years ago. Now, if I go to the trouble of getting all dressed up, I am going out the door somewhere. I never dress just to sit around the house anymore. While I most enjoy socializing with my CD friends, I also enjoy going out on my own crossdressed to do what would otherwise be mundane tasks, such as dropping off drycleaning, grocery shopping, getting new vehicle tags, getting home repair items at Home Depot, and of course clothes shopping.
    Phoebe

Me??? Out???? In public?? Just 3-5 nights a week. (have to stay home sometimes otherwise why have a home?)

I went out solo for months. Still do sometimes. But I am ever seldom alone when I am out. Usually someone, or many people, come and sit with me just to talk.

Happy? How do you spell ecstatic? Oh, like that If I stayed home I would never have met the wonderful people I have met now. Especially one certain person. In fact when I go out as a guy now, most ask "Where's Lori?" Or "We like Lori better than you." Ok sounds rude but it is true. This weekend (barring 12 inches of snow :P) I will be out tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday (The snow gods hate me and are endeavoring to mess up MY night.)

(can someone be 24/5?... )
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I am very happy, pretty much my entire social life is feminine, do all my shopping, errands, visiting with friends, dining, movies, bars, and even play softball in a league dressed . I count my blessings every time I go out as I am fortunate to live in a wonderful pretty accepting area. Royal Oak Mi. passed a human rights law last week that made it illegal to discriminate against anyone based on their sexual orientation,this includes applying for jobs, refusing service, renting or selling homes, etc... I was wondering if maybe me walking around that town shopping and dining over the last 6-8 years maybe helped a little bit as people in businesses seemed to enjoy my patronage and found I wasn't really much different after they knew me.

Heck ya. I'm happily out and about. But don't expect to hear many stories. It seems once your out there. The angst and anxiety all go away. It gets hard to publish stories your adventures after awhile. They become common place and seem so unexceptional.

Cheers
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

My first time was last year...late, around 9:30, visited a bar recommended on a site. Wore leggings, flower print keds and a hoodie. Wore my wig out for the first time. Really felt great driving there and then getting out of my car and walking across the parking lot. Took a deep breath, then went inside. Was shown a table and served great drinks. Got several smiles and one guy leaned over and flirted a little. It was karaoke night, lots of people there but no CDs...couldn't believe I was doing it but I felt soooo good.