"afraid of..." What exactly? Ridicule? Whispers as you pass by? Worse? Well, after another successful evening out I wanted to pass on some perspective from my experience.

First, I was with my wife in San Francisco (yes, the most accepting place possible, probably) but we were headed to see a Broadway show and I would be sitting next to the "normals" for hours. I would be in a cab. I would have to walk a few blocks to and from the theatre, and eat in a crowded restaurant.

This was only my fourth experience out where socializing with the population would be required and as I readied myself in my hotel room, my butterflies began to fly. Like you, "What if..." kept running through my head. I don't want to be embarrassed any more than the next guy. But, what's really interesting, is that any nervousness I had, once out the door, all fell away. It's been like that each time. The pressure we heap on ourselves is really just that; done to ourselves. So my advice to any newbie is this:
1) Stay out of your own head. You will not "pass." People will notice, accept it.
2) Carry yourself like you belong. You have as much right to go anywhere as the "normals"
3) Go out with a friend when possible. Women don't usually go out alone.
4) Dress for the occasion and location.
5) Engage with the people around you. It's amazing to see it in action. People are fearful of what they don't know. It's hard to be fearful when your chatting with that person.

If you want to out, you can. You are your own worst enemy. Have fun:-)