Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To those who want to go out but are afraid of...

Banned Read only

To those who want to go out but are afraid of...

"afraid of..." What exactly? Ridicule? Whispers as you pass by? Worse? Well, after another successful evening out I wanted to pass on some perspective from my experience.

First, I was with my wife in San Francisco (yes, the most accepting place possible, probably) but we were headed to see a Broadway show and I would be sitting next to the "normals" for hours. I would be in a cab. I would have to walk a few blocks to and from the theatre, and eat in a crowded restaurant.

This was only my fourth experience out where socializing with the population would be required and as I readied myself in my hotel room, my butterflies began to fly. Like you, "What if..." kept running through my head. I don't want to be embarrassed any more than the next guy. But, what's really interesting, is that any nervousness I had, once out the door, all fell away. It's been like that each time. The pressure we heap on ourselves is really just that; done to ourselves. So my advice to any newbie is this:
    1) Stay out of your own head. You will not "pass." People will notice, accept it.
    2) Carry yourself like you belong. You have as much right to go anywhere as the "normals"
    3) Go out with a friend when possible. Women don't usually go out alone.
    4) Dress for the occasion and location.
    5) Engage with the people around you. It's amazing to see it in action. People are fearful of what they don't know. It's hard to be fearful when your chatting with that person.

If you want to out, you can. You are your own worst enemy. Have fun:-)

Platinum Member
    Great advice. Number five especially. Engaging people seems to bing out the best in others and in ourselves.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Excellent advice Jennifer. Thanks for posting it.

Believe it or not, the same thing goes for skydiving. Once you're out the door, all your fears dissipate. LOL

Platinum Member
    The consequences of going out in public in San Francisco are totally different than your own backyard. Going to a public venue where a sexual minority is accepted is different than strutting down main street in your home town visible to family, friends, neighbors and employers. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    It's so nice to hear that you think I'm one of the "normals" as I had the pleasure of going out with your wife and you the other night.
    Jenn, your points are so right on especially your last words Have fun:-). I go out quite regularly now with a partner in
    crime that talks to EVERYONE and we've met some great people, two of which you met the other night. During one of our early on conversations, the person we were talking to, said that once into our conversation, we totally disarmed them and the fact that were wearing dresses, was a non-issue.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    The consequences of going out in public in San Francisco are totally different than your own backyard. Going to a public venue where a sexual minority is accepted is different than strutting down main street in your home town visible to family, friends, neighbors and employers. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
    Very true. If you have doubts, play it safe and take your "show" on the road.
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Banned Read only
    Stephanie, I agree with your premise. My only point is that one CAN go out. Visit a city 30 minutes away or two hours away. Or San Francisco.

TX & MN
    Yes, I've been to SF and loved it, BUT allow me to put in a word for the flyover zone.

I've lived in Houston, Dallas, Austin, Wichita, and Minneapolis
    (Yes, I'm not young anymore). I've been out and about in all these places, countless times, and have driven IH 35 end to end, dressed, and have never once been harassed. I am marginally passable, but I know that I often don't. So, I just wanted to say that big cities are mostly accepting of us, even in the bible belt.

I will say that I rarely go out at night, alone. There is a reason GG's don't do that; they know it is not safe. But other than that, no problem: from Walmart to Macys, Payless to DSW, McDonalds to Starbucks. Never a problem, not once.

It's a whole lot easier when your with your consenting wife and friends. In my geographical area, I'm sure there are other CDers but none I have met and have never seen any out in public. I think CDing here is behind closed doors. I have checked around and the only thing I could find that may be CD friendly is a gay bar. When you have no friends that would understand, it makes it really difficult. You say take the show on the road? By myself? I don't think so. I stick with my first statement, if you have friends and/or family to hang out with, that would make a big difference.
    I looked in the mirror and saw a gurl

I agree Rhonda, having friends, or going out with a group makes it much less difficult. So how do you find them? When I suggested going on the road, I was somewhat referring to attending TG events such as SCC in Atlanta, Esprit, Be All, etc. where there are hunreds of like minded folks to go out and mix with, and the opportunity to meet people from your area that you might not even know existed. This gives you contacts once you get back home so that you WILL have friends you can go out with locally or in the same general area in which you live. Having even just one friend to share with makes a big difference!
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Funny, I saw more nonacceptance in SF than any other place I have been. Granted the California area is better than say Redneck Falls middle America but no matter where you go the "normals" as Jennifer called them notice. But people have an agenda and unless you interfere somehow with that agenda, they really don't care and they forget you within minutes unless you are outrageous.

And when did we become a "sexual" minority? Most here don't incorporate "sex" in their dressing. We are a minority, yes. But we don't need to compartmentalize that even more. We are a gender different group. Why do we think we have to take it on the road? Would any other minority go elsewhere? No. This country is a melting pot" as I remember. Yes there will always be those who don't like what we do or who we are. They can just go about their business. We can't change them. It would be that way if you were say Latino in some places. It is that way even for GG's now. Allw ecan do is be aware and safe in what we do.

As long as "we" believe we are wrong, then our "family, friends, neighbors and employers" will believe we are wrong. They aren't friends if it bothers them. Neighbors may not like the color of your house...so what? They are not a part of your life you cannot live without (and funny thing all my neighbors would be here to help if ever needed no matter what I wore). Your employer? What you do on your time is YOUR time. Maybe he (she?) doesn't like how you raise roses. It isn't their business.

And family? Family is supposed to love you no matter what. But then if you keep playing it in your mind that you are some sort of deviant, then who could blame them for thinking the same thing?

Jennifer, you OP was right on
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Hi Jennifer,

Great advice for a newbee who wants to go out. I agree San Francisco is a very accepting place. I have been out en femme there tons of times and, personally, the only time I have had anyone even so much as look at me, was a couple of times in the tourist area (by that I mean the tourist spots like Fisherman's Wharf etc) A friend who lives in SF told me that the locals have seen everything before and are very unlikely to look twice at a CDer never mind show her any nonacceptance ... that's to say not including the less safe areas that you get in any big city.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Ann View Post
    .... if you have friends and/or family to hang out with, that would make a big difference.
    Exactly Rhonda. It does make a difference. So reach out and make a friend. I did that right here on this forum. The result? I met Allie and Rachel. They were with me Thursday as well. You are not alone in Texas. By the way, in addition to my wife, three other genetic women joined us. Women don't hate cross dressers.

I suppose if your afraid. But here's the thing. I to live in western Washington. Renton to be more specific. I have been out to Bellevue square, factoria, all parts of Seattle. Kent, Tacoma and of course Renton. Never had an issue in any of those places. Never met a friend or family member I had not intended. Nor a fellow worker. I don't believe our backyard is that a scary. Might be a bit boring. IE. I've been to all the restaurant and shops I want to go to. Vegas and the like are fun because there new and exciting. Around your own parts. Most people never leave there house. Lets face it. How many cis gender men love shopping? Or malls or make-up counters? Do you really think your going to run into them at those aces?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Funny, I saw more nonacceptance in SF than any other place I have been. Granted the California area is better than say Redneck Falls middle America but no matter where you go the "normals" as Jennifer called them notice. But people have an agenda and unless you interfere somehow with that agenda, they really don't care and they forget you within minutes unless you are outrageous.

And when did we become a "sexual" minority? Most here don't incorporate "sex" in their dressing. We are a minority, yes. But we don't need to compartmentalize that even more. We are a gender different group. Why do we think we have to take it on the road? Would any other minority go elsewhere? No. This country is a melting pot" as I remember. Yes there will always be those who don't like what we do or who we are. They can just go about their business. We can't change them. It would be that way if you were say Latino in some places. It is that way even for GG's now. Allw ecan do is be aware and safe in what we do.

As long as "we" believe we are wrong, then our "family, friends, neighbors and employers" will believe we are wrong. They aren't friends if it bothers them. Neighbors may not like the color of your house...so what? They are not a part of your life you cannot live without (and funny thing all my neighbors would be here to help if ever needed no matter what I wore). Your employer? What you do on your time is YOUR time. Maybe he (she?) doesn't like how you raise roses. It isn't their business.

And family? Family is supposed to love you no matter what. But then if you keep playing it in your mind that you are some sort of deviant, then who could blame them for thinking the same thing?

Jennifer, you OP was right on
    been forever it seems since I was in The Bay Area. So I can't speak to that. But I agree with the rest.

Cheers

BTW. I am
    A heterosexual male. Last I looked that was not a sexual minority.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

I just went out for the first time ever in Vegas and I can completely agree with Jennifer! Once you're out among the "normals" the butterflies go away and you just feel fantastic. Of course I got looks bit that's because I'm over 6 feet tall with heels. But it's true! You're your worst enemy. The only thing stopping you from going out is your own mind. Once you let go its a whole new world you've never experienced before!
    ‎"Music is a lie. It is a lie. Art is a lie. You have to tell a lie that is so wonderful that your fans make it true." -Lady Gaga

Monique Youtube

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    I met Allie and Rachel. They were with me Thursday as well.
    I was with them both last Saturday night, both are lovely ladies in every sense of the word, but sadly we were not in SF though they came to Sacramento and we hooked up at our TG support group's 5 year birthday bash!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

This past weekend I went out for dinner in Middletown NY (not the most open area) with my friend and her mother in law. We were supposed to go to an Olive Garden but ended up in a Chinese buffet.
    I agree with Jen. Act like you belong, dress appropriate and it's all fine.

Jennifer, Thank you for the Real advise, you are so right. I think we over think each time. And we are our own worst enemy and critics. It is girls like you that make this sight so helpful to us all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Allesha

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    Excellent advice Jennifer. Thanks for posting it.

Believe it or not, the same thing goes for skydiving. Once you're out the door, all your fears dissipate. LOL
    That's true. Once you are committed, you can live in the moment and enjoy the experience.

I cannot speak of how it may effect others but I can tell you my experiences. The first time I went outside of my little closet was last summer. Before I did I spent a lot of time alone working on my look. Thinking back It wasn't very good but it takes time. I purchased some clothes, underwear, breastforms, a wig, shoes and makeup. The makeup was the hard part. I would practice every day and learned a little bit each time. I then contacted a local TG group and was invited to visit a meeting.

The first time was terrifying. It was also one of the most wonderful experiences in my life. At the time I did not pass at all and no one had ever seen me all dressed up as a woman. I joined the group and continued working on my look.

Moving ahead almost 3 months I went on my first trip out in public. Real public not a meeting room full of other TG women. A nice restaurant downtown along with 20 of my new "sisters". I was pretty nervous but being with others I knew made it so much easier and I was shocked to see that I was treated like a lady by the staff and other customers. No pitchforks, no people laughing, no reactions at all.

A few more months go by and I have practiced and improved my look by an amazing degree. I have lost a ton of weight, aquired some really nice outfits and jewelry, and learned a lot of how to present myself. The last few times out I have had men open doors for me, I have been called maam, I have even been asked by other TG girls if I am on hormones, (I'm not) I even had one TG ask me who's spouse I was. Actually last night I was hit on.

I will admit that I cannot pass to an extreme degree, and upon close scrutiny I can be clocked, but for the most part in public, people do not look that close or give that kind of scrutiny. I dress to blend and no one really pays much attention to me even in stores and at the mall.

I guess what I am getting at is I took a slow road and worked very hard and had to learn a lot to get to the point I am at today. I had a plan and it is going well. I figured it would take me a year to get to where I wanted to be and so far I am right on schedule. I still get nervous when walking out the door every time, but that feeling goes away very quickly once I am out and about. It may not work for you but I have found that by planning, working, learning, and going at the right pace for me has made it more comfortable to ease into going out. Don't try to rush it. Work on your look, go out in stages and do a little more each time. I feel like I have progressed very fast in just 9 months time. Don't expect to overcome this fear in just a night or two, but still know you can overcome it.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Exactly Rhonda. It does make a difference. So reach out and make a friend. I did that right here on this forum. The result? I met Allie and Rachel. They were with me Thursday as well. You are not alone in Texas. By the way, in addition to my wife, three other genetic women joined us. Women don't hate cross dressers.
    I have made a few Texas friends on the forum, the problem is the closest one is about 5-6 hrs. away (Dallas) the next closest is about 8-9 hrs. away (Austin). Every time I start to make plans to take a long weekend and get out of town (Dallas) something happens family related and voids my plans. I promise I have been looking locally, I honestly think the geographical area has a lot to do with it. Even the women here a little bit redneck lol some more than the men. I was making plans to go to Las Vegas in April for the Diva Las Vegas event My shoulder has been giving me problems and found out I have a torn rotator cuff, so I'm looking at surgery. One of these days I will get my turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Taylor View Post
    When I suggested going on the road, I was somewhat referring to attending TG events such as SCC in Atlanta, Esprit, Be All, etc. where there are hunreds of like minded folks to go out and mix with, and the opportunity to meet people from your area that you might not even know existed. This gives you contacts once you get back home so that you WILL have friends you can go out with locally or in the same general area in which you live. Having even just one friend to share with makes a big difference!
    Thanks for the tips, I will have to keep my eye open and watch for these events a lot closer. Most of the time I see anything about an event taking place is the day after when everyone is talking about all the fun they had. LOL
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 03-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    I looked in the mirror and saw a gurl

Jennifer you have come a long way in a short time, good for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

i agree about not being self conscious about how you look in public. if i was able to pass, i wouldnt mind just going out like that all the time! (dont have enough clothes lol)
    you shouldnt care about what some strangers think of you, they will forget all about you a few minutes later.
    the only problem i have is not having a very accepting family. its technically against my religion to be a cross dresser, so im not getting much support from my loved ones
    may just have to stay a little closeted to the ones closest to me, but as for public, i dont really care how i look!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post

And when did we become a "sexual" minority?
    We became a sexual minority when the general public and legislators decided we were. It includes gays and lesbians and any shade of the transgendered community. It does not matter what we may consider ourselves. It's the perception of others, whether it's through ignorance or prejudice. Obviously you were not in Washington State when there were discussions extending protection to gays, lesbians and transgendered persons in employment, housing, and extending 'hate crime' protections.

Somehow I must be reading a different forum than others are reading. There seems to be no lack of non acceptance of the transgendered community as shown time and time again on this forum.

Somehow I must be reading a different forum than others are reading. There seems to be no lack of non acceptance of the transgendered community as shown time and time again on this forum.
    Maybe you are reading a different forum. Yes, I have read a few negative experiences here and I personally am aware of one written up here a few short years ago that happened to a friend of mine in Berkeley right across the Bay from San Francisco. However, I have read many more positive experiences when out, outings that took place all over the USA, plus a lot of foreign countries. Yes, San Francisco has a very public reputation for being more tolerating and even accepting of diverse people, minorities and people on the edge. However, people go out in the Deep South, Salt Lake City, in Texas, the Mid-West and most other places. Someone in a very small town many times are more concerned about being identified rather than getting negative comments. Non-acceptance doesn't have to be a problem if there are no harmful actions to the CD. It really depends on one's own confidence, their selected venues for going out and what they consider to be negative reactions and whether those negative reactions are just that or are dangerous reactions. I have only read a very few of the dangerous types here and have been reading almost all new thread headings and many of the actual detailed threads in my 6 plus years here. So, I also believe that some members that state that they want to go out but don't are letting their unreasonable fears, maybe even using them as weak excuses because they lack the confidence and courage to go out and experience all the positive reactions that most here report about everywhere. If one does not want to go out, that is more than fine with me, and if they do want to go out, then they should try it, with someone, at a TG support group, a local gay/lesbian bar, or even the local shopping mall. Their chance of being hurt is almost minuscule from my experience and from what I have read here.