Thread: What I have learned today

What I have learned today

I told my MD about my being TG today:

1. He did not laugh, instead he told me that being TG had to do with brain chemistry.

2. plant based estrogens will not do much to feminize me and it would cost me lots and lots of money that I could spend on cloths instead.

3. animal based estrogens can lead to health issues like heart attack, stroke, and other not nice things. If its not really necessary it is not advised.

4. being 50 I am a little to old to make any changes to my body as far as feminizing my body is concerned

5. If you allow life's stresses to take control of thoughts and emotions you may end up with an ulcer.

I was suppressed that my MD was frank and honest with me about being TG and suggested that I embrace it because it is part of what makes me "me".
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I disagree about 50 being tool old to make any feminizing changes to your body. I started HRT at 49, and it has made a difference to my appearance. If I had been younger, it would probably have made more of a difference to my appearance.

Gold Member
    Your Doctor is a real nice person; Sound like he is correct in his thoughts.
    He is correct on the fact you could buy many outfits on just one months
    worth of pills. The whole thing is can or will you want to "Leave the Closet"
    as one would say and go out as a woman. I wish you the best, I my self
    will never pass as a Female, no hope of being dainty when you are 6'3"
    and a little over 300 lbs.
    Rader

Platinum Member
    Hi Kelly, You may have to do it from the outside with foam pads and silicon forms.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Your doctor made some valid statements, but he left so many qualifiers in there that you should take to heart as you make your decisions. Yes, problems can arise with hormones, just as with all medicines. you, as he said, must make the decision as to if they are necessary. HRT is not always a feminizing decision, as it can help with dysphoria feelings, and yes, feminizing will be less than if started earlier, but it will still happen to some extent. It is your decision how much you want. As to No. 5, concerns over TG, gender dysphoria, are far from normal life stresses, and deserve special consideration and recognition. Make those recognitions, seek appropriate help, and you can move on. Same as with any stress. If his statement was meant to tell you not to give your TG any foothold to cause you any stress, he needs to continue his reading, even though he seems very well intentioned.

Hugs,

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    Your Doctor is a real nice person; Sound like he is correct in his thoughts.
    He is correct on the fact you could buy many outfits on just one months
    worth of pills. The whole thing is can or will you want to "Leave the Closet"
    as one would say and go out as a woman. I wish you the best, I my self
    will never pass as a Female, no hope of being dainty when you are 6'3"
    and a little over 300 lbs.
    Rader
    Rader, you could go out as a feminine male wearing some articles of women's clothing. It is the opposite of a Tomboy.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

The replies are making assumptions that something can't hurt not knowing OP's health state. I would heed your doctors advice, if YOU don't feel that he is correct given your current health status then get another opinion from a qualified doctor.

A can of Red Bull wont hurt anyone. Tell that to the people who have had heart attacks after one can. Different chemicals but the same thing, any chemical can act haphazardly with the body, Your doctor should know your limitations or be willing to run tests to verify.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennialy View Post
    The replies are making assumptions that something can't hurt not knowing OP's health state.
    #4 about 50 being too old, was phrased in terms of age, not in terms of health. One does not need to be in perfect health to start HRT. Some people are not going to be able to start HRT due to the nature of their health problems. For those in-between, with some health problems that could be worsened by HRT, it can be a matter of being more careful about the drugs given and the monitoring.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    Rader, you could go out as a feminine male wearing some articles of women's clothing. It is the opposite of a Tomboy.
    You have a point there; However I would not be viewed as an opposite Tom boy ( What ever it is called)
    but a freak needed to be locked up from possible harm to people kind. LOL
    Rader

Heed your doctor's advice. It's a good thing that you told him since he was able to give you his honest medical opinion. Certainly there are risks with any medications but he knows what taking those drugs will do to your health.

"4. being 50 I am a little to old to make any changes to my body as far as feminizing my body is concerned "
    I'm 54, and scheduled for a breast augmention on Sept.5 YIPEE! My Dr. says he has done many on over 50's.-Celeste

Kelly I wish you well for the forthcoming surgery.
    May it all work out as planned.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Interesting. I will have to have a talk with my doc next checkup. Had my first vist with a therapist yesterday and nothing was ruled out including full transition, and I'm 58. She said wonders can be accomplished today with hormones and surgery. Still have a lot of thinking to do.
    Thanks Kelly - good post for thought.
    Hugs
    Traci Melissa Knight

To thine own self be true
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear

Silver Member
    I became a lot more open in my 50s about my dressing. I never wanted to be a gg, but would have liked to continue to pass. However age did the opposent. Today I just wear casual fem attire and don't really worry about it. Your doctor or a doctor needs to give you advice. Yes they do work, but we need to be carefully

always girly and love it Linda St. John's Avatar
    lots of good advice - I love this forum ! I started HRT at age 44 and transitioned at 50 . I still take Premarin and a small dose of Spiro -all under a doctors watch and have had no problems. Best decisions I ever made to combat my severe dysphoria !
    Linda
    twitter : @ lindaesj

Hell..... 50s not old! I'm only 60 and I'm going to play ice hockey tonight...... the way I see it I can do what ever I want and I'm not too old to do anything a 25 year can..... I may need some serious pain killers tomorrow..... lol

Find a new doctor..... maybe an athletic 60 year old female doctor.......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

50 is not too old for hormone treatment to have an effect, be it physical or emotional. I couldn't disagree with your doctor more on that point. However, if you do desire HRT make sure you do it with medical supervision and a good regime of checks and tests to ensure your health isn't suffering - especially your vital organs.