Thread: Whatever happened to the TranSquat Restroom app for Smartphones?

Whatever happened to the TranSquat Restroom app for Smartphones?

I heard awhile back about this app. It's supposed to be a guide where trans people can find "safe" restroom facilities when in a given location. Unfortunately, this app seems to have been discontinued. Does anybody know where I can find this or something like it?

I always thought that this would be a logical solution for the restroom question. Trans people would know where they could use a restroom safely. Additionally, people who didn't wish to mix with trans people in this situation could be aware in advance of the restroom policy of a given business. An example: I have four good friends who are "out" lesbian couples. We often go out to lesbian-freindly bars when I'm in guy mode. When I have to go, I know that there will be butch women in the "men's" room because they're more comfortable in there. It doesn't bother me in the least. When in drag, I use the "ladies" room, and nobody cares. It would be great for everybody, gay, straight, and/or trans, to have this information before running the restroom gauntlet.

As a side benefit, an app like this would be helpful for parents/grandparents or babysitters. I have two (now grown) daughters. WhenI was out in public with them when they were children, I frequently had to look for a restroom facility where I could take them and feel that they were safe. Usually, this involved a "single-seat" restroom with a lock on the entrance door. I didn't want to take them into a restroom that other men might be using at the time, but I didn't feel comfortable sending them into the women's room by themselves when they were very young. It would have been great to have a smart phone app with this information.

If anybody can tell me where this, or a similar, smart phone app is available, I'd be eternally grateful!

Are you alright???

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    Are you alright???
    Uh....I don't need the app RIGHT NOW, if that's what your asking....

I'd just like to know if this or any other similar iphone app is available...because it might come in handy sometime in the future....

Sorry if I caused you any distress...

Just in case anyone thinks this app was a figment of my imagination, here's an active link that references what I'm talking about.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/1894...sgender-folks/

The product may well be a fake, but the web references exist.

Banned Read only
    There is an App called Pee In Peace for iOS...

I have it, but I have not tested it out to see how accurate it is. My town didn't make the list for whatever reason...

Glad I live in the NY/NJ/PA area.
    I just walk in the girls' room when dressed as female, and do my business. So far, not one single problem.
    I don't need no phone app for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel E Lee View Post
    ... I didn't want to take them [daughters] into a restroom that other men might be using at the time, but I didn't feel comfortable sending them into the women's room by themselves when they were very young. It would have been great to have a smart phone app with this information.
    I hear you! When my boys got to be too old to take to the ladies room with me (about age 6), I had no choice but to stand outside the men's room and wait for them. They would invariably take a long (very long) time, way longer than they ever took at home and my anxiety would begin to mount by the minute after 5 minutes of waiting. So then I'd be in a quandary. Should I pop my head in to see if they were OK? Should I accost a man outside the bathroom, explain the situation and ask if he would go in to see if my little boy was OK? What if the man that I accosted liked to prey on little boys? I always ended up asking the next guy who'd walk in if he'd let my son know that his mom said to hurry up. But they were, indeed, anxiety producing moments until my kids got old enough that I knew they'd be OK.

But ... I don't think a trans-friendly bathroom app would be of any help in this situation. I just don't think that kids are threatened by CDers ... it's all the really crazy people that I worry about. LOL Besides, until I met my SO and even knew about CDs, TGs, & TSs, it never would even have occurred to me to get a trans-bathroom app to make sure that we didn't go into bathrooms listed in there.

You mention butch women in men's rooms, and vice-versa. My SO and I go to LGBT and alternative clubs too, and yes, the tolerance is high in these places for people who use the bathroom they feel comfortable in. So, you really don't need an app for that. Just continue to use the bathroom you want in LGBT friendly areas.

So this leaves public bathrooms in malls, restaurants, tourist attractions, or any other family friendly places. I honestly don't think that any app specifically listing "safe" bathrooms could possibly cover all the public places in the US. There aren't enough crossdressers who go out in public, and at that, only a small number would bother with uploading bathroom reviews, if they even have smart phones. So if there were only half a dozen bathrooms designated as being "safe" in the city or town that you were in, you wouldn't drive 10 miles out of your way just go to that bathroom, would you? Besides, what if there were changes that no one had updated, and a once friendly or safe bathroom was friendly no longer?

Best to just use your discretion. And your instincts. There are enough single user facilities around, and my SO always makes a mental note when she sees one. This is her preferred choice, but if there aren't any, she just goes into the ladies, takes care of business and leaves. No one pays any attention to her because she's not there to chat with people. She won't go into a ladies room where there are tons of moms and young daughters though, for example if we were at a McDonalds at noon on a Saturday, right next to a toy store where there was a huge sale or something. Just use your common sense.
    Reine

Apps of this sort are only as good as the data provided by the users. Anyone with enough experience being out and about to provide a reasonable amount of data is no longer likely to be concerned about about using a ladies' room, thus the app becomes useless to them and they won't contribute any longer. With a very small pool of people providing updates what little data exists will become stale.

Here in California the app would be doubly useless as we may use whatever restroom that matches our desired gender.

BTW, there is already safe2pee.org which is available on any browser without downloading an app which makes it more useful. Why should every data source force software onto your phone when the browser works just fine?
    Last edited by Eryn; 03-25-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added safe2pee.org info
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Time has moved on making a lot of these phone apps redundant.
    Redundancy is real big in this modern world.
    Mind you XP still works, and is even better than Vista.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sometimes your own eyes, ears, common sense and a little research on the local laws are the best tools. The main thing is to feel and act like you belong, do your business and leave.
    Chickie

Hopefully these phone apps are better than some GPS directions.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning