Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is a beard okay with a dress?

Why shouldn't a beard with a dress be okay? It's just a choice of presentations.

Now for me, I both wouldn't want to present like that, nor do I find it particularly attractive, but I'm not about to judge someone for what look they want to put together. Some people just like a more gender-blended look, and if that's their boat that's fine with me!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    What we are saying is that if someone wants to go out that way, that is their choice, not yours nor mine. They have to live whatever consequences of their actions that they get.
    This is true. It is each individual's choice. Just don't be surprised when you encounter the wrong person and your 'choice' lands you in the hospital. I know...you say "not in my neighborhood", but it could very easily happen.

Quote Originally Posted by famousunknown View Post
    Well, with that in mind...
    Some people could be very offended by a bearded lady. Opinions vary.
    Yes but notice I said with the sole purpose of offending others. He wasn't really doing that was he? So therefore I personally don't have a problem with it. I don't think it's a good look, but it's his choice!
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

Just don't be surprised when you encounter the wrong person and your 'choice' lands you in the hospital. I know...you say "not in my neighborhood", but it could very easily happen.
    Unless someone supplies (verifiable) stats for assaults due to mixed-gender dressing, I'm going to call BS on this one.

You could encounter the wrong person and end up in the hospital, regardless of your clothing choice. Based on our local newspaper, it's pretty common (once a week or so in my village.) But I've been walking around in a skirt on a daily basis for getting on 10 years, and have never had even an unpleasant incident. Based on my experience, riding a bicycle is far more likely to get you assaulted.

But most (non-vehicular) assaults occur between people who know each other, so if you're going to get beaten up, it's more likely to be due to a poor choice of "friends" (or of spouse or SO) than a poor choice of clothing.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Asche View Post
    Unless someone supplies (verifiable) stats for assaults due to mixed-gender dressing, I'm going to call BS on this one.
    Come on down south for a week and we'll see if you still have that opinion.

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    I would never do that but I wont judge others, if he gets a kick from that then let him be!

I really don't care for beard wearers who dress enfemme, but to each his own.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

"Midnight Cowboy" is a great movie. Everyone should see it.

Probably correct. I remember being a long-hair hippie and venturing into Wyoming. I'm lucky I survived. ******** unfortunately still exist.
    Last edited by Eryn; 04-08-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Sorry, misspelled profanity is still profanity.

There are a lot of folks down there in the South that never finished third grade and are still members of the KKK. In fact, in some areas of the South, black people and other races receive the same poor treatment that they received in the 1950's. The mindset had not changed since the 1950's. The Bubbas are very dangerous and need to be avoided at all costs.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I shop for women's clothes at thrift stores in some dicey neighborhoods. So far no issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if someday an ignorant redneck caused some trouble.

Intellectually, I support everyone's right to present themselves in any manner they choose, without being judged or put at risk of assault (or worse).

Emotionally, I just don't like the dress-with-a-beard look, and I think people who wear it look kind of weird and creepy. I probably wouldn't engage in conversation or even acknowledge someone so dressed. But I wouldn't do anything nasty to them, either.

It's possible that I might be able to develop a more open attitude about this with time and experience.

- Diane

I used to think LGBT folk would be more tolerant of everyone until I got involved with one on a college campus. It didn't take long to realize that they didn't care for or support the BT folks. In fact, it only took two years to drop the LGBT label and switch to a Gay/Straight alliance.

It was then that I realized that prejudice comes in all races and genders. People have blinders when their brain can't process something they've been taught is wrong or haven't dealt with in their own life, as in my case, the fact that someone might want to wear clothes of the opposite sex. And rather than attack me personally, I always get something like "Why would you want to wear heels?"

I compare the differences between genders to that of Football and Star Trek fans. It's normal in society for the football fans to paint your face your team colors, but you're a geek or worse, a little off, if you wear a Klingon outfit. It's like it's acceptable, sometimes sexy, for females to dress as males in our society, but it's still a ways off before we men can wear pretty clothing without be scorned, shunned or made fun of.

Give it time though, some day, men in dresses with beards will become as common placed as women voting, smoking their own brand of cigarettes, and *gasp* leaving the kitchen to work at the same jobs as men. :-)

After that, read 'Regiment of Women' by Thomas Berger to find out what happened when women finally run the world and one man wants to wear female clothes, play female sports and dare to live a woman's life.

NO, definitely not ok.
    I agree. ...............
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    There are a lot of folks down there in the South that never finished third grade and are still members of the KKK. In fact, in some areas of the South, black people and other races receive the same poor treatment that they received in the 1950's. The mindset had not changed since the 1950's. The Bubbas are very dangerous and need to be avoided at all costs.
    Let's be careful to not assume that all Southerners are uneducated racist rednecks. The murder rate in Chicago doesn't make all Chicagoans murderers. I'll take my chances here in the South rather than in Chicago.
    It's interesting that CDers (men) who want to buck the norm and go out en femme want to draw the line on how others present themselves in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    Intellectually, I support everyone's right to present themselves in any manner they choose, without being judged or put at risk of assault (or worse).

Emotionally, I just don't like the dress-with-a-beard look, and I think people who wear it look kind of weird and creepy. I probably wouldn't engage in conversation or even acknowledge someone so dressed. But I wouldn't do anything nasty to them, either.

It's possible that I might be able to develop a more open attitude about this with time and experience.

- Diane
    Yes I can understand what you are saying about your emotional reaction. You have the right idea to work on that IMHO. We have to remember that to most of the world a man in a dress whether bearded or smooth is "kind of weird and creepy." It will change someday...

Wink Thanks

I am delighted with the comments in the thread. I purposely poked a bit of fun at you all to test the waters. (although the story is completely true, as it happened). I am sooo happy to see that for the most part this is an open accepting group. At the end of the day, love is all there is.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Another pot/kettle attitude, so much for support for being different. You want to pass/blend out there, then go do it, this guy with a beard wants to wear a dress, kudos to him for having the balls to do it and not give a shit...
    Tamara,
    Its just not right. If it was the middle of summer and you saw a person wearing a full length wool coat, scarf and gloves, you would probably think there was something wrong with this person.
    The same for a man with a beard wearing a dress, one would first think there is something wrong with this person.
    It just doesn't make sense??
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

I honestly do not know what the point would be in wearing a dress with a beard out in public. That said, if someone wanted to do it, go right ahead.

Banned Read only
    Is it "ok"?

For me, when in girl mode, no. I want to present as womanly as I can. For others, it's their call. As long as that person doesn't complain about the sideways looks he will get, it's his deal. That is an aspect of cross dressing I don't understand.

There's a rather odd couple in Herts
    Who are cousins (or so each asserts).
    Their sex is in doubt
    For they're never without
    Their moustaches and long, trailing skirts.

Edward Gorey

Banned Read only
    At a Crossdressing site, it almost looks [to me anyway] as if some of the tones here are that a MAN should not wear ANY female items out in public, unless he does "everything he can" to pass as a female? Because it's just plain wrong...?

Or am I misreading some of the posts?

Since there are so many here at this Forum who want to do it "right"...

What might be helpful is for one of you to start a separate detailed thread and include EVERYTHING that a guy needs to do, before he can go out and try to "pass". [I am assuming that "passing" is the only acceptable reason in YOUR minds?]

DETAILED list. How about earrings? Lipstick? Purse? MUST a woman carry a purse. Or wear lipstick or earrings?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    What might be helpful is for one of you to start a separate detailed thread and include EVERYTHING that a guy needs to do, before he can go out and try to "pass".
    When I visit my mother, sometimes she ends up lending me some of her typical clothes (e.g., we are going somewhere muddy, or I need a sweater, or the weather goes unseasonable.) So we head out together with me wearing the same kinds of clothes that she is wearing. Simple long-sleeved shirt (no buttons), shapeless jeans. She doesn't wear makeup; she doesn't wear a watch; she doesn't wear jewelry. She doesn't carry a purse either; she carries (or wears) a fanny-pack. So if it is just a matter of clothing and accessories, I am already doing the same as a GG.

Banned Read only
    Now I'm wondering...

If a beard is NOT acceptable with a dress...

Maybe it goes better or is more acceptable with a skirt?

I am almost sure I read somehwere at this Forum that with a skirt one can only have a mustache or goatee?

No wonder so many folks are afraid to leave their closets. This CDing stuff can get realllllllllllllllly complicated.

I believe that we should all be free to wear whatever we want.
    So I say it is OK to wear a dress with a beard.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    I believe that we should all be free to wear whatever we want.
    So I say it is OK to wear a dress with a beard.
    "should" is the key word here. There's a lot of things that "should" be, that just aren't.
    Why waste another page on this thread? NO, a beard with a dress, skirt, or femme attire
    is NOT OK. Unless you're in a carnival sideshow. Just don't do it. period.