Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag Performers? Your Thoughts...

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar

Drag Performers? Your Thoughts...

This thread was inspired by one I read in the Transsexual Forum having to do with feelings related to drag performers.

I appreciate drag performers. I'm an avid "RuPaul's Drag Race" afficionado, and never miss an episode. I'm fascinated in what they're able to achieve, by means of padding and makeup, in transforming themselves into gorgeous women.

My question then, is, are you motivated by, offended by, or ambivalent towards, "drag queens"?

Me? No.

Above all, I respect the human spirit, and it's creativity. We should all do what makes us happy.

The beauty of many of the Drag Performers inspires me. Occasionally, I am a little put off by some of the performers who present more of a caricature of CD's.
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

I don't mind either way. What concerns me more is how others might view them and think that's the norm among those under the cd/tg umbrella. Hopefully less and less everyday.

Silver Member
    ambivalent == While I've been to several shows I don't feel that they relate to CDs anymore than a striper relates to most women. Because we are usually closeted I think that many people associate CDs with impersonators. People that I know associate me with someone who wears women's clothes as he chooses and doesn't try to be a "woman" by putting on a bunch of padding etc.

I'm motivated by them! I mean a natural,girly look is nice,but why do I want to look like everyone else? I love the flamboyance,the air of elegance,and the showmanship of not showing man. Plus not all,but some drag queens are cute out of drag as well :3
    The program of man,established as such,is flawed,and I can't follow. Everyday I walk their land,out of touch,I dread seeing tomorrow. -Me-

if you dont know any try to meet some most of them are really down to earth.. and there are some that can really motivate you..
    me personally i love them they make up artist performers and they know what they want.

I have seen drag queens that are beautiful, sexy and very talented. And above all are a lot of fun to watch.

I love them.

The 'larger than life' aspect of it I find fascinating.
    I'd like to try it one day (in context), but would want to err on the side of elegance, if that's a doable thing.

They can be great fun, but I really hate it when their act becomes obscene, as it often does. That, to me is a gratuitous insult to women and CDers alike.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I have been asked if I was a drag queen before. I don't know whether to be insulted or if it was a compliment. The shows I have seen are ok but not really my favorite form of entertainment.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I cant really say yes to any of the three options: motivated by, offended by, or ambivalent to.
    I appreciate what they do, I enjoy them and I am entertained by their performances. That being said, in Washington, DC there is a restaurant named "Perry's". On Saturday and Sunday morning they have a brunch with drag performers that is really a lot of fun. Here's a link:

http://www.perrysadamsmorgan.com/brunch/sunday/
    Stephanie

I guess I think they are pretty good since I do drag sometimes, even though my performances are not as "over the top" as some.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I do not like "Drag Race" for what it has become.
    Reality TV with a lot of bitchiness thrown it as a cocktail for viewers.
    The girls acts are certainly polished in a different way these days.
    No rough spots at all. You have to be under thirty to get away with anything I think.

In years gone by the girls were supportive of each other and if someone did not make the grade they were let down gently and trained to dress appropriately and mix with others of their kind. Not ostracised, but if you do not make the cut you can not perform.
    Stick to talent nights and have a good time there. Yes there is a future.
    I did some talent nights, and enjoyed them, I was always encouraged as I put a little light hearted humor in there.
    Also I was used as a stooge on the stage sometimes, but in reality, I was a "Drag Dropout." And loving it.

I do not like crude humor about girls and anything that demeans them.
    There are thousands of double entendres that do get a good laugh and you do have to give the audience what they expect.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda M View Post
    They can be great fun, but I really hate it when their act becomes obscene, as it often does. That, to me is a gratuitous insult to women and CDers alike.
    I have had no interest at all in RuPaul or his way over the top group of DQs. I have a few DQ friends I see on occasion on GNO, but I'm no longer interested in their shows or performances simply because I don't consider lip syncing or obscenity talents. That being said, I must admit to meeting a few genuinely gorgeous and talented DQs that I'd just love to look as good as in dress and style and mannerisms.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    The same as my opinion, thoughts of NASCAR, soccer and Ice Hockey. No opinion at all, I have nothing against it, nothing for it, just really not interested.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

I don't like lip syncing. There was a time when female impersonators had to sing in a female voice. That would impress me more.

Yes I agree about the bitchiness although not all the shows are like that. Some are packed with real love and caring. IMHO a queens best attribute is a loving, nutturing side.

I'll have to out myself. - LOVE IT !!! Dont get me wrong, When I'm out on the town for dinner, I do my very best to just be elegant. (although *sniff* Too ruggedly handsome to ever pass) However I am also an enspiring DQ. And my show is over the top. Some of you would be totally offended, but your not in the audience stuffing $20's in my panties. Gotta please the crowd that's there. It's not as easy as it looks to take on that crowd and be truly entertaining. I am working my booty off between, dance classes, rehearsals and costuming. With any luck my shows start next month for a full summer run. I am both excited and scared, and have a lot to learn.

Banned Read only
    I never cared for drag for two reasons: 1) they are really a caricature of a woman and 2) they lip synch when performing and anyone can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    2) they lip synch when performing and anyone can do that.
    You have not seen the DQs in Denver. They can't even follow the beat of the music... (and there I did it again....OK Lori say something nice now). Um Drag Queens have good bingo?

Maybe it is just me but the DQs here and I do not get along t all. I tried, I tried to be nice and talk to them and all I got was ice. They also disrespected my GG GF and insulted her in the drag bar ( that so many here worship that has gone bye bye). But this is my own limited perspective. I only know the Colorado queens....I am sure there has to be better ones somewhere.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Silver Member
    Just for clarification my thread in TS section that was referred to in this thread was NOT intended to be about drag shows, queens, kings.......it was about something else.

Personally I have only been to one drag show, after I was living full time as a woman, and me and my partner loved it, we had a blast! I have nothing against drag shows, queens and kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    You have not seen the DQs in Denver. They can't even follow the beat of the music... (and there I did it again....OK Lori say something nice now). Um Drag Queens have good bingo?

Maybe it is just me but the DQs here and I do not get along t all. I tried, I tried to be nice and talk to them and all I got was ice. They also disrespected my GG GF and insulted her in the drag bar ( that so many here worship that has gone bye bye). But this is my own limited perspective. I only know the Colorado queens....I am sure there has to be better ones somewhere.
    All tarred with the same brush then Lorileah?

The ones I met were not only nice but had a fantastic sense of humour.
    They also had a dance routine that was as good as any professional dancing I have ever seen.

But they were not from Colorado so that must explain it.

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arbon View Post
    Just for clarification my thread in TS section that was referred to in this thread was NOT intended to be about drag shows, queens, kings.......it was about something else.

Personally I have only been to one drag show, after I was living full time as a woman, and me and my partner loved it, we had a blast! I have nothing against drag shows, queens and kings.
    Arbon, please understand that I was merely inspired by your post to generate one seeking to inquire of the membership as to their general thoughts on drag performers.

Thanks for your clarification and your thoughts on the subject.

Additionally, thanks so much to those who've responded thus far... in reading the replies, my take is that many of us appreciate the effort put forth by the performers I was referring to.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Ambivalent. They do what they do, because its their job, entertaining and get paid for it, We do what we do because we all have our own perssonal reasons of satisfaction dressing. It makes me look and feel pretty. Leave well enough alone.