Thread: The Magic of what we do.

The Magic of what we do.

Last night I went with my wife to pick up her new work uniforms and we were early so we stopped by the Library to turn some stuff in and check out a couple of dvd's.

We had some extra time, so we browsed the music Cd's, and I settled on checking out three by Santana and one by Pearl Jam.

After we got home from our dinner out, I sat down and proceeded to put the new music onto my computer and my iPod.

While doing this I started listening to Santana's Guitar Heaven The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time, once it was finished loading onto my computer. I got to track four and I nearly wept with emotion as I heard the voice of India Arie and the strings of Yo-Yo Ma joining Carlos Santana's guitar, playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". As I listened to her voice sing this sad sweet song, I couldn't help but wonder about something.

I know that as we all go through the rituals of grooming our bodies like the ladies, put on the clothing, the make up, and the finishing touches; we put ourselves into that femme frame of mind and transform ourselves into an expression of our inner girl/woman. A kind of magical transformation, if you will.

I know that music can heighten this process, internalizing even more what we do.

I was wondering how music touches others as they get en femme?

What do you listen to and does it have to be something "Girl Power" or a certain voice that caresses your ears?

Does your sense of smell come into play with your favorite perfume?

Just some thoughts.

Love and Hugs Forever,
    Jamie
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Certainly different sensations are heightened when for me. Particularly touch. I'm told I seem far more at peace, too. Have to try music, btw that's great song. Jeff Healey did a version also..

Personally..... I don't even know what a female frame of mind is.... nothing really changes when I changes clothes except my looks.... I'm just as emotional or unemotional before, during And after... maybe its just me but music also doesn't make me more or less emotional either.... and perfume smells wonderful but it doesn't heighten my senses at all..... maybe I'm just heartless? lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Jeff Healey's version is good.

I can see how touch can come into play as so many of us love the feel of women's clothing so much.

Karren, not every one is aware of what may or may not be going on inside. Also, many may not see it this way either.
    As far as the Femme frame of mind goes, it mostly refers to the masks we all wear at some time or other in our daily lives and it evokes something within that we might not normally access in our day to day lives. That something special that makes us feel good or better about ourselves as we dress.
    Last edited by Emma Beth; 04-10-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

I think I know what you describe Jamie. And, for some of us at least, there must be some kind of mind/emotional shift that occurs. I wonder if there might be some correlation with the degree of 'pink fog' experienced at the time as well.

In the context of what you describe, I'm drawn to the work of players like Lisa Germano, Jane Siberry, acoustic Sara Maclaughlan, early Stevie Nicks solo work and Rosie Thomas, as examples. In other moods, I like Harold Budd, Cocteau Twins, and things of this (ambient) nature.

Perfume is not a trigger for me...

Kate

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Personally..... I don't even know what a female frame of mind is.... nothing really changes when I changes clothes except my looks.... I'm just as emotional or unemotional before, during And after... maybe its just me but music also doesn't make me more or less emotional either.... and perfume smells wonderful but it doesn't heighten my senses at all..... maybe I'm just heartless? lol.
    I agree with Karren, its a moot point that I don't think about or get involved with mentally. Personally there are some things like dressing I prefer to do in silence with no distractions, but I do understand your point, but to each their own.
    Last edited by Megan70; 04-10-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling

These are all emotional moments and feelings that really do not interfere with my dressing.
    I remember a song and relate it to an event either sad or joyous.
    For instance I always play El Paso when I arrive by train in that city.
    Disneyland at Christmas time, the same as Bertsgarten in southern Germany and the tune Stille Nacht.
    Brings tears to my eyes.
    I visit places like the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.
    They are great sets in the movies as are icons like The Golden Gate Bridge, Tower Bridge UK., and Saltzburg in Austria.
    I could go on. They are all childhood memories and part of my bucket list which will remain bottomless.
    I do like perfume and I do smell some pleasant odors walking around.

The romanticsm of dressing as faded a little as I dress most of the time and I find other things to interest me.
    Even reading your post I wonder where you will be in ten years time.
    The fascination of those introducing themselves, two or three years experience at a new adventure, will they transition if given the opportunity or chicken out as I did.

No, music is all embracing memories, and the only tune that I associate with dressing, and very strongly is.....

"I enjoy being a girl."

I mimed it at the first talent quest I ever appeared in in a place that advertised an "All male revue for $5.00"
    I did not even read the sign carefully.
    It was called "The Gem Jar".
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Beverley,
    I understand exactly what you mean by wondering where I will be in ten years time. I can say that where ever I am, I will be where I am supposed to be. I try not to dwell on it too deeply.
    I have an idea as to where I would love to be in that time and I plan on taking the appropriate steps to get there. The steps I will take are small and slow but I will be me at the end.
    I have given my direction a lot of thought and I am ready to step through each hoop that sits in my way at the appropriate time.
    Over the last few weeks I have come to realize that I do need to take the steps before me as my situation allows. I'm not sure how far I will transition, but that is the direction I plan to go at this time.
    Also, I would like to thank you Beverley. I haven't really been open to admitting that I have a need to transition, except to one person through pm here and that wasn't intentional.

Back to my OP.
    I can see what you mean, Beverley, about music and memories. I think that when an emotion and music are tied together, then you can recall the memory better then you otherwise can.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.

Like Beverley says,"I enjoy being a girl." with Nancy Kwan makes me very happy and i feel the magic of being feminine.

I don't honestly think I have a change in my thoughts dressed or not. It seems like mentally I'm Margo more and more and my guy mode or thought process is becoming less and less prevalent if that makes sense. I do know that as I get older Margo becomes more and more important to me.
    As for music I'm all over the wall and it depends what my mood is. Often times when I have a lot of time to get ready to go out and I can take a nice long bath and really take my time with my make up I enjoy classical or what's called new age music these days.
    Jamie check out my favorite Santana song some time Samba pa' Ti Carlos does an incredible job on it.

margo

Now we hear the collective groan, as all you girls say "Deadheads are all the same". Yup, and proud. Grew up listening to the Grateful dead, lost my virginity (twice) listening to the Dead, got married (three times) listening to the Dead, became a woman, and now remain a woman, still listening to the Dead.
    I'm not completely one sided. I have about 6000 albums in iTunes. I just listen to the Dead more.

I know exactly what you mean. I work in drab, driving a truck. There it's usually country music or classic rock. As soon as I become Leah, it's different. Sarah Maclachlan, Evervessance, etc. Still listen to a lot of '60's girl groups; Crystals, etc. When in a "particular mood", it's Janis Joplin. In early 1970, I asked Janis to marry me.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Nah, I think its more that one eventually grows out of that euphoric mood and with a little time accepts it as a normal part of life. Is it less enjoyable to dress because the presumed magic is gone? For me, no, not really.

Perhaps I dress like a woman for reasons different than some other people. its not a romantic notion. Its just being myself. I like the way I look and I like the person in the mirror, despite her shortcomings.

Hi,Jamie.I live for music. It brings out emotions I didn't know were there. I always liked Santana. When I was coming of age Santana was constantly playing on every juke box and radio station there was. When I hear it now it takes me back to pleasant and exciting times. But I must say,for me it's Doris Day. Her 1949 record of "Again",even though I've listened to it countless times,makes me shiver and sometimes acutally weep with emotion. Barbara Maria

Quote Originally Posted by xcdmargo View Post
    Jamie check out my favorite Santana song some time Samba pa' Ti Carlos does an incredible job on it.
    Margo, one of the CD's I picked up is ABRAXAS 1998 remastered edition.
    I agree, Samba Pa Ti is really good.
    Besides ABRAXAS and Guitar Heaven, I also picked up Supernatural as well. His music is really great for me to listen to while I'm writing. The music really helps me focus on where my stories are going and it sometimes surprises me with how much influence it has on the mood of the settings.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.