Thread: One Night in Springfield

One Night in Springfield

Well, I'm back on the prairie again.

It's a two-day drive from Michigan, so I usually stay overnight in the Bloomington-Springfield IL area. I had hoped to meet up with a new friend from the Springfield chapter of Tri-ess, but it's the wrong weekend and I could not adjust my schedule.

This trip was something new. I found a bed and breakfast on Purple Roofs and made a last minute reservation. Rippon-Kinsella house is on N. Third St. in Springfield, just north of downtown and walking distance to Lincoln's Tomb. There is a beautiful 100 yr old park next to the cemetery (Lincoln Park), and just to the south is Mary & President Lincoln's preserved house. Even though I had driven 500 miles Monday, I had to see them all.

Roger Schmitz and his partner Dave Ridenour own the mansion, and they have three guest rooms. The house is beautifully decorated with hundreds of antiques, and very tasteful accents. They are a wonderful couple with strong ties to their community and they have been together for 37 years! Inspiring!

Roger asked my name when I made the reservation. I gave him my legal name and credit card. Then he asked what name I go by. I gave him my Fem name - my legal name was never used once through my entire stay. A married couple (architect and public school administrator) from California stayed in one of the other rooms and we all met Monday night, and Tuesday for breakfast.

I wore a black skirt and pumps with a light yellow sweater for the drive down, and for the remainder of the day. I walked around the tomb, through the park, around the entire four-block preserved section surrounding the Lincoln's home, and even got out on my bicycle for a while (in shorts). Before I went back to the room I stopped for a six-pack and was asked for ID. I asked if they card everybody, or just those under 55 (Big Smile). Everybody. So, I told her to brace herself for this, and then handed over the MI license. (Full Red Curly Beard from 2010). A couple of glances back and forth, and a small smirk, and we were good.

Tuesday morning I wore pink shorts & socks (warm weather driving), and a white 3/4 sleeve fitted pullover. We all met for a wonderful HOME MADE breakfast and great conversation. Everyone was very open and we talked about our various stations in life. Roger loves it that one neighbor calls them his "gaybors". I was happy to describe my journey and answer questions about growing up transgender. We all had very similar stories and experiences.

After breakfast the couple went up to get ready for the day; Roger & I talked a bit more and then he gave me a big hug before I left.

If any of you in the midwest need a weekend away to be yourself, I wish you would give Roger a call. I know you will receive as much respect as you offer. The rate is very reasonable and the house is amazing. Just remember the house is a century and a half old. There are no mini-fridges and microwaves in the rooms. There are steam registers and no air vents, so I assume no air conditioning. Small price to pay in my mind.

Enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing. Have been to Spingfield years ago showing horses at the "Railsplitter" held in the spring, before it was spring in Mi. What a difference miles make!!!
    To Dream of the Person you want to be Is to Waste the Person you are. unknown

And like the song: What doesn't kill you, can't hurt you.

Sounds like you had a great time

Aspiring Member Tammy Nowakowski's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a great time

I have stayed in some B&B's in the UK run by male partners.
    Quite often until I reveal my bona fides.
    It all brightens up then into a nice social evening.
    They relax and so do I.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thanks for sharing that. Great to know places to go and feel comfortable.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    That little essay was very well-written and you have a compelling narrative voice. Thanks for taking the time.

That was a real cool story. Thanks for spending the time to share it. No (smirks). Just big smile.
    ~Marcella~