Thread: How to walk on heels?

How to walk on heels?

I've been wearing heels for a while but I still cant walk on them. I use to wear 4+ inch at home even though it was really hard for me to walk on them. I slowly started feeling constant pain in my knee even when I was wearing sneakers and I am now scared of heels even though I love them so much. Where did I went wrong?

Hey New High Heel Walker! Practice, Hey You-Practice!!! Practice.......................................... .................WHAT THE ****-----------PRACTICE!!!!!!!!! Ask Ru-Paul@!

No Pain no gain............................pratice reduces the aches and pains

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    May I recommend to walk in them and not on them. I can't imagine how tough it must be to walk on them.

get some wedges to practice in. Also, you might try some platforms - they may look clunky, but a 2" platform with 4" heels is similar to walking in 2" heels, which are pretty easy on your legs.

Deedee |\_ |\_

Heels force your backside into your lower back. Not easy being a woman is it? It takes time and pain to be able to master this incredible feat. Now I even dance in them without any problems but if I haven't danced for awhile I usually feel it the next day.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If you were training for the high jump in the Olympics, you would not start out with the world record height so stop trying the really high heels as a beginner. Get a pair of 2" heels max. Take smaller steps, both in heels and training. Can you point your toes well when not wearing heels? If not, you need to do some stretching exercises such as standing on tip toes to flat on the ground to tip toes, repeat. Have you watched how a GG places her feet when walking in heels? Go to the mall and take a seat in the public areas and watch. The knee pain is definitely pushing too far and too fast.

I'm different than most. I actually started in 5" and 6" heels and never really had a problem. It is about practice and the more you do it the easier it gets. I can wear 6" heels all day long and not have any issues. Only issue I found out last night is driving a standard in 6" heels.

Banned Read only
    The main key to walking in heels is how you step. Heel-toe, heel-toe, heel-toe.

Practice this constantly, even in shoes without a heel.

Also, start with lower, wider heels, they are a lot easier, and will help you learn to balance.

A lot of GG find this to be a difficult trick to master too.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 04-13-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Hmm....it seems to me it is almost the opposite, the heel is used very little.

The secret....walk in them. Practice as the others have said. I also suggest starting with a shorter heel to help train yourself. I experienced knee pain in the past and came to discover that it was mostly due to being too tense and stiff in my walking gate. My advice...relax and enjoy your heels while you practice. I find stretching exercises help me. Anymore, after the pain of breaking in a new pair, I find walking in heels to be almost second nature.(notice I said almost). I recently found out that I can even dance in heels without discomfort. I wore a pair of 5 1/2' platform pumps to the club recently. I wore them for almost eight hours that night and my feet did not start to complain until I was almost home. I should mention though, I do have gel inserts in those pumps....they really help.

I started wearing five inch heels and boots. had no problems whatsoever. ive founf that platform heels are easier because although they have a higher heel, they aren't actually that high cos of the platform. they look damn good as well cos of the height!!

Start with low heels walk amile in them and then increase it by half an inch.
    Yes, it takes practice and agility to walk in them well.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by trishwannabcd View Post
    If that's how you walk in flat shoes, then it probably is consistent. However, I don't think that's the case for most people.
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 04-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trishwannabcd View Post

Somebody said this last time this subject came around so I started taking my breaks sitting in one of the little conversation areas in our hallway at work. I've probably watched a couple hundred GGs walk by, flats to four inchers, even some platforms, and I can't say that I ever saw any that did this toe first thing. Yes, those in higher heels took shorter steps but it was still very definitely heel first.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Please look in the archieves as there are a number of threads about walking in heels.

I understand the pain, and it's usually because you are trying to stride as a male, and that really won't work, bit time! You really have to lead from your thighs, take smaller steps, and that resultant motion will swivel your hips. It has to or it will hurt!

Also, the shoes really must fit well. I would suggest that a bootie or other heel that is somehow attached to your foot is the place to start. Then you don't have to worry about walking out of them and all that! But, slow down, shorter strides, lead from the upper thighs, and let your hips swivel as if you were dancing.

Miriam
    Tall high heels require a very different motion than low high heels. I can walk fairly naturally in low heels up to about 3 inches, but higher than that requires shorter, more deliberate steps with more leg lift. I like lower heels better anyway since it's easier to blend in public, so the taller heels generally just sit in the closet.

Miriam

A good thing also to add to this is watching shows like project runway or any fashion shows. They always show how the model walk in heels. That was how I refined how I walk.

Like the others say, it only takes practice... Try a little bit each day and work up to a few hours. Eventually as you master the carpet, hard floors and steps you'll be ready for the outdoors. Then watch out there is a whole new set of hazards out there. From tree grates to crackes in the sidewalk, not to mention grass and brick streets.... But it's still worth it... love the feel and look...

Renne.... I\_ I\_

Quote Originally Posted by leonal123 View Post
    I've been wearing heels for a while but I still cant walk on them. Where did I went wrong?
    You're supposed to wear the heels...and walk IN them not on them...maybe that's the problem...LOL...
    Kidding of course.

Just practice and start small...maybe 2" or so and work up to 4"+ ... like using training wheels.

Either that or start young like I did at about 7 in mom's "way too big for me" heels and progress as you grow into them.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !