Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Find Jobs Working as a Woman?

How Do You Find Jobs Working as a Woman?

Being unemployed for 4.5+ years now, I'd entertain the possibility of doing a temp job, dressed as a woman... But how do you find these kind of jobs? When I went to a real Job Fair back in summer 2009, I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman... But anyway, the other companies at the Job Fair didn't mind that I was crossdressed, and the lady at Frito Lay was giving me her speech about the company and was very accepting of me. But Northrop Grumman, - the recruiter discriminated against me. She initially said you needed a security clearance to get a job there, when I said I had one she still ignored me. Not that really phazed me out because at the Chicago Gay Parade their were LGBT people from Northrop Grumman showing up there.

So have you successfully found a job where you could crossdress? How did you find it? What type of job is it?

My career and type of jobs I apply and work at is not very kind to gays or crossdressers. Mechanical Engineering and anything related to that is so male dominated. I lost many jobs when they thought I was gay.

But I would accept a temp job going to work in a skirt suit, because it's temp. But I have to admit, I don't have the skills of a secretary yet.

Should I go to a job fair dressed as a woman and try for jobs like that? Should I just say I'm somewhat transgender?

Silver Member
    Kate - Is this posting for real? You are unemployed for 4 1/2 years and you go on job interviews as a crossdresser? Not working too well for you, is it?

Do you go to "real job fairs" or to "not real job fairs"?

Do you think the Secret Service is really looking for crossdressers for a "dual looks" ability to protect the President?

Do you really think that any of the companies at the real job fair "didn't mind" that you were crossdressed if they didn't hire you?

How do you have a security clearance if you are unemployed for 4 1/2 years?

Have you really lost jobs because people "thought you were gay" like there's something wrong with being gay?

Maybe you should just focus seriously on getting a job. Get help. Forget about wearing dresses. Go to real job fairs. Focus on your qualifications and skills, not your sexual orientation and lipstick.

Good luck.

Silver Member
    Given this is the worst economy since the 20s, that make it an employer's market and you are at their mercy, like it or not. You go as whatever they want and is most likely to get you a job (and being trans isn't one of them.) Diversity speeches and other PR baloney aside, you are more likely to get the job as a "straight acting" cis man; once you are actually employed (and eating and paying your bills), you can look for a job that offers more flexibility (you become much more employable while you are actually employed.)

If you want to dress at work, become self employed doing work with the trans community.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 04-13-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    How do you have a security clearance if you are unemployed for 4 1/2 years?

Good luck.
    A security clearance is good for ten years at least at the level I held. TG isn't an automatic denial or revocation of the clearance in and of itself.

As for finding a job as a woman I would assume you would have to apply and interview as one, complete with all the requisite legal paperwork identifying you as a woman. If you are not there yet you may want to fore-go job fairs/interviews in your skirt suit. I think the key for Northop Grumman would be to talk to those LGBT associated employees and see how they identified themselves during their interviews.

It seems it's a lot easier for an employer to overlook some things about a high performing employee who has an established track record than the same qualities in a new unknown hire.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

How do you find jobs working as a woman? First and foremost, by being really good at what you do and having the work history to show it. Being unemployed for years is probably going to hurt your chances more than being TG since your résumé will be rejected before the interview stage. At least for professionals, like engineers, you need a good résumé to land an interview.

I once was interviewing candidates for an engineering job. The candidates were initially screened only based on their resume. Before the interview the HR person organizing the interviews (a woman) tried to get rid of the candidate once she realized the candidate was TG, claiming it would cost the company a lot of money to install a separate bathroom (complete nonsense). I went ahead with the interview and asked a lot of questions focused only on her job skills and work experience. After the interview I discussed the candidate with the VP of engineering and he was ok hiring a TG person as long as they had the qualifications. It turns out the candidate didn't have the experience we were looking for, but we asked her if she was interested in a junior position. She declined because she got a better offer.

Bear in mind, this was a real hot job market in the SF Bay Area about 10 years ago, so maybe a little more acceptance of TG than here in the Midwest.

If you are ok with working in male mode for a while, this might be the best way to get your foot in the door and get the experience you need to some day land your dream job as a woman.
    Last edited by Nyla F; 04-14-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Need to clarify that I didn't suspect candidate was TG before the interview.

Hi,

Going on the job not dressed appropritly to me is like saying one does not wont a job , i have had men work for myself plus our daughter who is now 34, she dressed as was needed on the job, if you came to me for a job dressed in a skirt or dress id say ether you dont wont the job or i wont have you because your not dressed as is needed on the job.

I dont go to my jobs dressed in skirts or dress's or high heels .

Okay im a builder done 46 years & seen it all. Im allso a woman so i dress in shorts & a tee top shoes or boots & just dressed as i should be .

I have allso done selling tree's & shrubs & what ever, now then i was dressed in a skirt tee top & could do my job .

in both case's i was dressed appropritly, & yes i have had Police clearance & could again if needed, i dont have any issues, all my documents are correct as to name rank & number's, & i have the expeance to carry out my trade, what ever im needed to do.

I have no issue with those who cross dress just not on my job for the reason iv given, if some one came to me for a job dressed in a skirt id say not going to happen, not on the building sites, male or female,

From one who has employed others id say to you unless your a woman you would soon see what needs to change,

It would seem to me unless you can wear womens clothes on the job you wont take any job, so maybe you need to change your idears & wear shorts or longs maybe overalls , i do i dont give it a 2nd thought

If you have the experance in a field that you can do then go for it just maybe not cross dressed .

Iv worn male clothes militay & others im not going to say i liked it i did it because i needed to be where i was at the time, what was importaint was i had a job to do ,
    you wont like this or do it i had to clean the sewer sytems out yes down & dirty & stink so not dressed in a skirt or dress , so was overalls & shower's after, ,

then the clothes .... well yes i know so what. does it really matter, you dress for the job in hand.

If you go for any interview regardless what you wear its whats on your original birth cert that will tell wether your male or female .

Why is it so importaint for you to wear a skirt, ?? or dressed as a woman,

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 04-14-2013 at 06:42 AM.

I totally agree with Nyla and Heather.
    First focus should not be on how you dress, just securing a job nowadays is rough. Your a mech engineer, hate to say it but most engineers are a dime a dozen, unless you have solid experience and certs on top of that, our company wouldn't even process your résumé, let alone step forward with a trans person. For example, to get hired into one of our spots, you need minimally Ccna, rhce, mcse, WITH a degree, AND be published or patented AND have consummate work experience. On Linkd in, I see more and more job posting/recruitment emails that require this high level of education and experience.
    Goal number one is get in the door. If your main concern is getting a job as a girl, go to places that don't care about that. Retail, inbound sales, inbound tech support etc. from there, try to move up.

I highly doubt you got felt go for being suspect gay, there has to be more to that.

This post is a little scattered, but the main thing is exp/credentials, don't worry about being able to be a girl, ESP if you Id yourself as "just a CD" which your previous posts suggests.

Silver Member
    Security clearances become inactive when the person leaves employment or military service. I believe Top Secrets are normally good for 5 years, Secret Clearances 10 years and Confidential 15 years. But the agency or military Service which grants the clearance pulls them when the employee or Service member leaves. If you had one, it can usually be reinstated with minimal work. But the point is - no one is going to get a job because they had a clearance at one time, especially if they do not meet qualifications. Also, there are some jobs which are much more tolerant of appearance, individual behavior and dress codes than the United States Secret Service.

Some employment basics are being ignored by Kate: figure out what you want to do; determine where you can work; become qualified as best you can (school or technical courses); get employment help (state unemployment offices); develop a job finding strategy (job fairs; internet etc.); network (use friends); find job opportunities, apply and follow-up; have good interviews (prepare, rehearse, dress appropriately - like the other people who work there); follow-up; and don't give up. It is hard to find a good job and it is harder to find a job when you don't have one. The longer you are unemployed, the tougher it is because you are not gaining any experience. If you are unemployed, you might have to make some concessions to work somewhere - travel; part-time; lower pay; not doing what you want to do. You might have to do volunteer work to gain experience. But those possibilities might enable you to get to your ideal job.

Once again, Kate, good luck. Try and get some help finding a job.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    In Canada, security clearances terminate when you leave the employer. Here, an unexpired security clearance can be "reactivated", but in the meantime you are considered not to have a security clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Kate - Is this posting for real?
    Yup, it's real. A while back (1-2 years I think) Kate made a similar post. And the good advice given in your and others' posts was given by others back then - apparently unheeded. One would think that in 4-1/2 years a new set of skills could have been acquired.
    It's tough out there, especially now. Jobs are hard to find, even for experienced workers and for new college grads. Sometimes expectations need to be lowered just to get started. Once a job is secured, prove you're worth advancement.
    I've interviewed for several jobs and interviewed more applicants than I can remember. First impressions are important, so you've got to do all you can in your presentation. If you can't impress, for goodness sake don't do anything to detract.
    What's the priority, getting a job or wearing a dress?

Gold Member
    Like NicoleScott said - yeah it is real alright. I still laugh when I think about it.

But to get to the point - if you live full time as a woman and have a name change, it helps matters. Plus you have to have your look together. Even if you don't pass, if you look like you give an honest effort instead of wearing a nice skirt suit with some God-awful basketball court shoes, you are more likely to be taken serious.

Other options -
    Big companies tend to have stronger anti-discrimination policies, like my job. Yes it is just some crappy low wage retail outfit but their anti-discrimination includes "Gender expression and identity". Retail places will hire about anyone who isn't a felon and who might actually come to work sometimes.
    You could also look into GLBT places like maybe be a wait person, cook or whatever at a gay restaurant.

Weird thing is though - I actually have a cosmetology license and wasn't able to get a job in that field, I assume they don't like trans women but f*** it.

So to summarize your Q's - I just started throwing out resumes and applications online and real life. I don't "crossdress" but live full time as a woman. It is just retail though. It's a buck or two, better than no money. (shrug)

Kate listen - the modz might ream my backside hole for saying this but - some of the ideas you have are pretty outlandish. Wanting to work as a woman - understandable. Wanting to be in secret service as a CD - bat poop crazy idea. Maybe your experience losing jobs WASN'T about them thinking you are gay but about weird ideas? I have seen a couple of your videos, read your posts, and seen photos. You don't have the air of a gay man. I don't think anyone else would assume you are gay.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I can remember back to the 4-1/2 years when Kate posted about losing her job. You can't look for it under Kate's name, because she changed her name a while back. I'll let her explain why she changed her name. In her posts 4 years ago, she gave a lot of other details that she is not giving today. We are not getting the whole story now. If you had the whole story, her situation would look totally different.
    I can't remember the name that she previously used on this board.

Jodi

You don't find them Kate, they find you.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Well,,, As for me, I'm full time on campus. I hang out in the libray alot taking advantage of stuff on closed reserve. On several ocasions, full time staf had observed me helping ohter patrons. at this point it was sugested I alpy for a opsiotin they had recantly come open/

You are a bit late for April Fools Day.

I agree with most of the replies to your post. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 no chance, 10 walk straight into a job wearing nothing but a bikini, high heels and a smile) it's a 1. It's an employers market at the moment and you need to give them no reason from excluding you from being employed. I have been out of full time permanent employment for 2.5 years. The few interviews I manage to get I make sure there is no trace of "en-femme". I even take my ear piercings out.

It would be lovely to think that you could get a job en-femme (oink oink flutter flutter), in fact it would be lovely to think you could get a job, full stop.

Maria
    Last edited by Maria S; 04-15-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

I really have to agree with the second poster for this thread. The comment made by the forth post about security clearance good for ten years...while this true for the most part it becomes revoked once you are no longer employed by whoever it was that you got it through. Maybe think about dressing as male and inquiring about company policy for cd or even call a companies HR dept, if they have one, and ask about it before trying to apply for a position with them.
    Last edited by Joanna41; 04-15-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be who you are...not who you think I want you to be

If someone is unemployed for 4 1/2 years, they don't really want to find a job. And if they are male, but going to job fairs or interviews dressed as a female, they don't really want to find a job.

Prospective employers are looking for candidates who are serious about working for their company and candidates who can do the work and devote full attention to the job. If you're primary consideration is finding a job where you can crossdress while at work, I doubt you will ever find a job except in a store that caters to crossdressers. Or as a male prostitute.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

It's time to get over your obsession with skirt suits and get fitted for a mans suit. Sorry dear, but the truth hurts.

Also "I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman." Really????? REALLY!!???
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 04-16-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Bear in mind- This is the same person, who a few months back, said we were all too ugly to go out. Except her. With THAT amount of beauty, she will surely find a corner office, seven figure job. Let's hope.

Hi Kate,

This is a sarcastic response just for fun, not meant to insult or belittle the question, but more as a social commentary...

How Do You Find Jobs Working as a Woman?
    Being unemployed for 4.5+ years now, I'd entertain the possibility of doing a temp job, dressed as a woman... But how do you find these kind of jobs?
    Answer: To get a job working as a woman, apply for the job and ask to be paid about 20% less than the average salary for men.

I only went to a job fair once dressed as a woman, in summer 2009. I've been applying for jobs ever since I was unemployed, except for 3 months when I went to vacation and school. I'm not lazy and I put good effort in trying to get a job. Just look at youtube videos for "long term unemployed" and you'll get the news about people suffering long term unemployment.

And I don't have to work at McDonalds since my $1154 monthly SSDI is more than a $9/hr FT job's take home pay. I would look for a PT job earning up to $1000 a month, though.

I was only entertaining the thought of working as woman, because some members here actually do this.

Quote Originally Posted by shortskirt87 View Post
    Also "I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman." Really????? REALLY!!???
    With a criminal record.... got about as much hope as bob hope... Don't mind Kate, she's full of it, we're all spies and she's probably been abducted by aliens at some point also, they probably made her a CD...
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Start an ebay business selling lingerie to men! These CDs spend tons of $ on makeup, wigs, shoes... become a specialized merchant like Janet's. Make videos of yourself demonstrating breast forms and wigs!

I've seen threads about ebay on how it sucks. Like you can't give bad feedback about a no good buyer, even if they clearly SCAM you. There are instances of buyers who receive an item and yet claim they never received it or it was damaged, so you have to protect yourself with delivery confirmation.

Ebay used to be a good way of making money back in the old days before 2009 or so, but nowadays it kinda stinks. With the ebay and Paypal fees they make about a 10% cut of your sale, or even more.

I was thinking of using my Dodge Grand Caravan to make money off of people by driving them to other cities or an airport. I would advertise this on Craigslist.