Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Find Jobs Working as a Woman?

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee3 View Post
    Start an ebay business selling lingerie to men! These CDs spend tons of $ on makeup, wigs, shoes... become a specialized merchant like Janet's. Make videos of yourself demonstrating breast forms and wigs!
    This is actually very good advice , except sell to CD, most want to pay below ost for something and then want YOU to pay for shipping ! But that aside starting an online store is a great idea.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    Bear in mind- This is the same person, who a few months back, said we were all too ugly to go out. Except her. With THAT amount of beauty, she will surely find a corner office, seven figure job. Let's hope.
    I never said everyone here is too ugly to go out. I probably said that if you are clearly not passable then it's not worth going out for the ridicule you would get. And I go out only because I'm 95% passable.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KateSpade83 View Post
    I was thinking of using my Dodge Grand Caravan to make money off of people by driving them to other cities or an airport. I would advertise this on Craigslist.
    Kate - A crossdressing hack who is illegally "making money off people" - that's interesting work - and the cops would never think of looking at ads on Craigslist for illegal cab operations - maybe it would be fun to crossdress in jail - eBay sounds better, even if it is no longer the good old days before 2009.

Silver Member
    And you believe all Craigslist ads??? Kate you show up here every so often with some story.

GG/SO of a CD

And I don't have to work at McDonalds since my $1154 monthly SSDI is more than a $9/hr FT job's take home pay. I would look for a PT job earning up to $1000 a month, though.
    Dear,

No one is too good for McDonalds. I know that people feel that way, but a job is a job. An opportunity is an opportunity. Did you know that almost 85% of recent college graduates are UNDEREMPLOYED. ( I got that from the Bureau of labor and stats. ) what that means is that 85 percent of college graduates who could be working at places other than mc Donald's are doing just that. I have a degree in sustainable design yet I work for starbucks... I mean... 4 years out of the labor force you would think your odds are at least the same as mine, if not less?

Being unemployed for 4.5+ years now,
    Kate, you're not unemployed in the same way others are unemployed...you've got a serious disability, which is why you're on SSDI. I'm going to say this outright. With that disability...the chances of you ever working in your profession of engineer again are practically nil. Especially in the military-industrial-aerospace field.

I'd entertain the possibility of doing a temp job, dressed as a woman...
    I know of CD's who do...but well they're not disabled like you are.

But how do you find these kind of jobs? When I went to a real Job Fair back in summer 2009,
    Job fairs aren't going to work for you. you're unemployable, not because you've been unemployed for 4 years but because of your disability. Yes it's wrong, but it happens. your best bet is to go here:

http://www.adasmckinley.org/vocational_training.html

That agency is trained to help people like you and in fact I'm surprised y ou're not already in one of their programs. Though I must admit that such agencies don't really know how to handle GLBT disabled people, not yet anyway...they're learning, and will get better.

My career and type of jobs I apply and work at is not very kind to gays or crossdressers.
    That may have been true.

I lost many jobs when they thought I was gay.
    That's an avoidance maneuver to not deal with the true reason, your disability.

Should I go to a job fair dressed as a woman and try for jobs like that? Should I just say I'm somewhat transgender?
    Just don't go. Stick with "supported employment"

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    One would think that in 4-1/2 years a new set of skills could have been acquired.
    Kate's disabled, it's why she's on SSDI, so I don't consider her unemployed in the same way a person who's factory shutdown caused their job loss is. But yeah, good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    In her posts 4 years ago, she gave a lot of other details that she is not giving today. We are not getting the whole story now. If you had the whole story, her situation would look totally different.
    I can't remember the name that she previously used on this board.
    All her posts and threads should have been transferred to the new name, that's how the name changes work.

Just look at youtube videos for "long term unemployed" and you'll get the news about people suffering long term unemployment.
    Your situation is not the same, since your disability caused you unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    With a criminal record.... got about as much hope as bob hope...
    I didn't know that!

Don't mind Kate, she's full of it, we're all spies and she's probably been abducted by aliens at some point also, they probably made her a CD...
    Well it's her disability that makes her write stuff like that. I feel sorry for her.

I was thinking of using my Dodge Grand Caravan to make money off of people by driving them to other cities or an airport. I would advertise this on Craigslist.
    You''re really into dropping brand names aren't you...you've always ben a bit of a brand snob. But doing that is basically offering a taxi service without a license and if you're caught...they'll prosecute.

And I go out only because I'm 95% passable.
    I'm going to be blunt considering how judgemental and downright nasty you've been to other people about their pictures. I've seen you're pictures, and the reality is...you're not 95 percent passable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Kate - A crossdressing hack who is illegally "making money off people" - that's interesting work - and the cops would never think of looking at ads on Craigslist for illegal cab operations
    Yeah an unlicensed hack.. what's the fine on that these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    4 years out of the labor force you would think your odds are at least the same as mine, if not less?
    She's disabled, so it's not the same for her.

Again, Kate, just top thinking about job fiars and being an engineer..unless they can cure your disability and they can't. Settle for supported employment or whatever placement an Agency like Ada S McKinley can find you.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Kate - A crossdressing hack who is illegally "making money off people" - that's interesting work - and the cops would never think of looking at ads on Craigslist for illegal cab operations - maybe it would be fun to crossdress in jail - eBay sounds better, even if it is no longer the good old days before 2009.

Can you wear skirt suits and clodhoppers in jail?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    I'm going to be blunt considering how judgemental and downright nasty you've been to other people about their pictures. I've seen you're pictures, and the reality is...you're not 95 percent passable at all.
    Wow, I like the way VM rolls...

Hey, Lets not be too harsh, If someone has a disabilty,sometimes things don't allways come out the way it's intended. Sometimes I read a post i've written a long time ago and think "hey Kelly what made you say that THAT way ?" Mayby we can bring the thread back to the OP's question about finding a job ?
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I never understood why people using their cars as a taxi was illegal, After all if they carry insurance, treat their passengers fair and charge a fair price, why should'nt they. In Baltimore they have gypsy cabs who are unlicenced and I've had to take then a few times because I broke down in neighborhoods that regualr cabs would not go.

Whats wrong with entrapanuership ? There are so many 'professionals' where licenced people and or companies give horrible service.

This is just my opinion.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

In illinois you need a livery license as well as something else I forgot offhand.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortskirt87 View Post
    It's time to get over your obsession with skirt suits and get fitted for a mans suit. Sorry dear, but the truth hurts.

Also "I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman." Really????? REALLY!!???
    well it might work if the President liked to hang out in transgender bars--lol
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

My disability has good and bad parts. I was disabled enough to get SSDI easily, so if I’m 55 and can’t get a job due to age discrimination I can easily fall back on SSDI. But I have lost a great job at Int. Jensen when I got my first job related paranoid attack. I thought God would kill me unless I kissed my female coworker, so I was fired for sexual harassment. But my disability is properly controlled with Geodon, and as long as I take Geodon I can go to work and be normal.

I never mention my disability at jobs, and it never affected my last job, especially with getting a security clearance. What hurts me more now in not getting a jobs is long term unemployed discrimination, and if they find out if I have a felony. My criminal record is clean since March 2002.

My profile here before I was banned was Jesse69. Then Tamera let me back in as Katespade83.

I don’t make good pictures that get 3+ pages of comments because I’m not photogenic. But I look better in real life, and that’s what matters. And from the 70 times I went out in drag, I passed a lot in crowded women’s restrooms and fitting rooms. So I’m not bragging when I say I’m 95% passable. When I post Pic threads I don’t take 100 pictures and post the best five. I take 10 pictures and post the best 5 instead.

I’m not a brand snob for mentioning my minivan. And some people accuse me of being a snob for posting the brand and cost of my skirt suits in their pics. I’m just “giving info.”

I was also thinking of trueing people’s bike wheels and tuning brakes and derailleurs as a side business off of Craigslist. There are people who already do this in Chicago Craigslist. I have a complete set of bike tools to true wheels and tuneup a bike, too.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Given your background it sounds like you would do best to start your own business. It may take a couple of shots at the right small business, but you will find one. The good news is you have your SSDI to fall back on.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Kate - I don't know enough (and I don't need to know) about your situation to comment on whether you can land a job of any kind. I do beg you, however, to talk carefully with whatever lawyer helped you to get your SSDI in the first place, for this reason: getting SSDI requires that a person be 100% unable, due to a condition of disability, to get and perform any kind of job for which he or she is qualified by training and experience. So: if you get a job, or if you *can* get a job, you can lose every bit of your SSDI. You do *not* want to do that. You also do not want to claim to some employer that you are capable of performing some job - bec when your SSDI is audited (as it will be) you can lose your SSDI; and in the right circumstances you can be forced to repay the SSDI benefits you received when (the government will say) you were really not "entitled" to receive them. Please, please check with your Social Security lawyer *before* you go applying for any jobs! Hugs - Diane

Doing bicycle maintenance sounds like a possible good option for you, Kate. The days and hours could be flexible, it doesn't involve the potential legal hassles of running an unlicensed taxi service, and you could be self employed and set your own rules. If you were to get serious about it, there could be potential for it to grow into a real business with a storefront, employees, etc. -- there is a guy with a shop just around the corner from where I work (in Urbana, BTW) who basically started out by fixing his friends' bikes and offering free advice, but has now been doing it full time for over 30 years.

However, Diane D. makes an important point in reply #40 just above -- don't do anything without checking with your lawyer and SSA first.

- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by DianeDeBris View Post
    Kate - I don't know enough (and I don't need to know) about your situation to comment on whether you can land a job of any kind. I do beg you, however, to talk carefully with whatever lawyer helped you to get your SSDI in the first place, for this reason: getting SSDI requires that a person be 100% unable, due to a condition of disability, to get and perform any kind of job for which he or she is qualified by training and experience. So: if you get a job, or if you *can* get a job, you can lose every bit of your SSDI. You do *not* want to do that. You also do not want to claim to some employer that you are capable of performing some job - bec when your SSDI is audited (as it will be) you can lose your SSDI; and in the right circumstances you can be forced to repay the SSDI benefits you received when (the government will say) you were really not "entitled" to receive them. Please, please check with your Social Security lawyer *before* you go applying for any jobs! Hugs - Diane
    I agree with Diane. Disability can be yanked real easily.

Jodi

I never used a lawyer to get SSDI the first time or when I reapplied after being taken off in August 2008 for working and earning too much. Then I had to pay SS $10,000 back. When I tried to get back on SSDI in Houston the Houston Office tried to scam me out of it by never giving me the proper forms to reapply. Only the nice lady at the Chicago SS Office, she helped me get back on easily, but a SSDI appointed psychiatrist had to review me to see if I was disabled again. Luckily I was going through a 6 month paranoid attack, due to not taking Geodon so I got back on SSDI.

Now, I'd rather work a $55,000+ / year job than play video games all day on SSDI. Working a decent paying job gets me more than SSDI, plus it would enable me to date women because most women don't like unemployed guys. The best strategy is to work well paind temp jobs that last 7.5 month, at 9 months SSDI is cut off. This earns good work credits that increases the amount of SSDI that you get.

But I really want to be a successful man that earns money with a good career. I don't want to be an SSDI loafer. I only rely on SSDI now because I'm long term unemployed and a good job is hard to get. And with SSDI I don't have to work a minimum wage job just to get by.

Kate,

A lot of good advice here, If you have a business idea, just persue it, A hard working business, will earn you way more than SSDI. Start small and if it works for you , go all out for it. There is a lot to be said for your sense self respect.

Also its great that you are taking your eds, keep on them and never change without talking to your Dr.

You can gain a lot of respect on forums such as this if you write what you want to post, then mentally put yourself in the shoes of the people you are writing to/about. It will give you a chance to really think about thing before you hit that final POST .
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeDeBris View Post
    Actually, the SS regs allow a person on total disability to earn up to 9000 a year before they cut the benefits
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]