Thread: Southern Comfort this September

Southern Comfort this September

Ladies,

I am considering going to Southern Comfort in September.
    My thought is that it wold be a safe environment to really 'go all the way' for the first time and actually attend the conference as Shelby.
    I would love to hear some stories about your experiences there.
    I would also be interested to know if anyone knows of a spa in Atlanta that I could go to for a makeover the day before the conference starts.

Thanks.

Shelby

This thread's gonna get bumped to Upcoming Events at the bottom of the forum page.....those moderators, they do things like that.

For first timers, it is absolutely a safe environment....though these days, I can handle a Greyhound bus station without any problems.

But like I said, it is absolutely a safe environment. To tell you the truth, you will probably be amazed. ....just go.

In the end game, you will make many friends.

I think my best memories was two years ago, going to a nearby steakhouse with my friends on Friday night, and the steak was out of this world.

Saturday night is the big dinner/gala.....so wear your best evening dress or gown.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 04-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Shelby, take it from a local Atlanta girl, the SCC is SAFE!!!!.... I've attended every year in some form or another except for 2 since 2003. Some years I would just go to meet with friends I haven't seen in a while and check out the vendors, hang out in the lobby and get a few drinks. Then a few friends would get a dinner. Gave me an excuse to get dolled up. Sometimes I would attend for the whole week and actually register, get a room and the whole nine yards. One time I only had a few hours and no time to transition, and I had to be back in male mode soon after. I just grabbed a pair of heels. Took off my work shoes, and walked in, male attire with high heels, that was fun. Kind of a Gender F--K. Just depended on my circumstances. No one is going to judge you. No one is going to look down on you and no one is going to hurt you.

There is usually about 1000 transgender people there of all types. M2F, F2M, pre-op, post-op, CD's Draq Queens, Gender queer, etc. So you will blend in. Think of it as you will be just a voice in the choir, but every voice has an important part.

There are quite a few seminars on various topics like make up, clothing, styling, also dealing with family and your work place etc, some of my favorite have been developing a feminine voice and make up application. So there is plenty to learn. But the great thing is the socializing around the lobby and bar . This is a great place to meet some of your fellow sisters and brothers. I've struck up conversations with total strangers who have turned in to some great friends.

If you are having difficulty coming out of your room for the first time, there is a big brother/sister program to help newcomers to get the courage to venture out. So if you need that just let them know.

As far as a spa or boutique, I can't say I know of a spa place that specializes in makeovers or transformations as I've never used a "spa". What type of service are you looking for? The great thing about the SCC is it is directly across the street from Perimeter Mall. This is one of the trendiest and upscale malls in the city. If you are looking for a makeover I would recommend contacting the MAC store or one of the cosmetic counters in any of the department stores there and setting that up. The MAC store has a private room in the back if you don't feel comfortable getting made up in public. Also during the conference there will be artist in the vendor area, but you will need to set up a time with them. However they tend to have a very full schedule and you may feel rushed. The people in the mall aren't so concerned with time so I feel you will get a better make over. I've taken advantage the artist at the mall several times.

BTW as Perimeter mall is near the SCC, the people that work there are used to seeing TG people quite a bit. I've visited this mall many times in boy mode. Heck I had to work there for a few days. Almost every time, I've spotted a TG sister or two.

If you are looking to get your nails done just contact a nail salon. They are all over the place down here so you won't have any trouble finding one. It seems every time a new strip mall opens the first thing to open is a nail salon. I know there is at least one in the mall and I'm sure many around it.

If there is anything I can help you with let me know.

Cheryl H.
    "If you can dream it you can do it" Walt Disney

Silver Member
    In addition to the salons in the area, there will be a number of vendors there at SCC who can help you with your needs (I especially recommend Scarlett's makeovers, no business affiliation with her, just a happy customer!)

http://sccatl.org/content/marketplace/

I am going to be there. I have already paid for the room and the registration. Yep my first time and I can't wait.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I would love to go too, SCC sounds like a lot of fun. I will need to wait until it gets a little closer and see my schedule (I know, I say that every year).
    Stephanie

boy revision 2.oh Lisa Jeffreys's Avatar
    I really, really, really, really, really want to go but there are a couple of issues I am dealing with. 1) I am so totally nervous since I have never done anything so bold yet. I wore heels to Target at Christmas last year but my male slacks mostly hid them. 2) I am very new to crossdressing and don't have, what I call, all the gear yet. I have some skirts and heels, one bra and one blouse. No wig, no breast forms and no padded panties yet. I don't want to look "half done" when I come out. 3) I am nervous about the location and a bit excited. I grew up so close to Perimeter Mall I used to ride my bike there once they finished building it. Yep, I lived there that long ago. 4) My job is in flux right now and until I am sure that it will continue I don't want to commit a lot of money. I may need it to survive.

I love that SCC has a big sister program because I know I'll need it if I ever go. I have some grand fantasy that I'll be able to walk into the hotel fully female but I know I won't. I can imagine sitting on the floor of my room for three or four days crying because I'm all dressed up with nails, makeup, etc and can't open the door.

Did I mention I really want to go to this? I do. I was actually checking out one piece bathing suits yesterday while shopping with the kids for clothes at Academy Sports. I want to swim in a one piece and lounge by the pool with my wedge sandals next to my chair. I'm not there yet but I'm going to do it some day soon. It took 48 years for me to figure out what was missing from my life, it was Lisa and I really want her to get out and enjoy the world.

Lisa

I have been told it is a CD'ers debutante ball.
    I will get there one day.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Lisa you should go bet you would have the time of your life. I have never but would imagine it would be a perfect place to go for you. You don't have to look perfect. You could pick up a few essentials before you go and probably get some help when u got there. If I went I would probably be the most undressed person around

My friend from work was telling me that her mom is a beautician somewhere in the Kennesaw area. She is trying to convince me to go there and have her mom do a total makeover on me with makeup and wig since they sell wigs there too. I would totally do it if I was free to. As it is though, my friend from work and my wife dont get along and so sets the dilemma. Maybe one day. Id love love love to go to the SCC as well since I literally live only 30-40 minutes away. With things being on lock down though, Im not sure I will be able to. Maybe things will change by September for better or worse. When we get a little closer to the date, we should all figure out who's going and try and meet up or something...if not just for drinks and dinner or something like that. We spend so much time encouraging each other and being friends with each other I think it would be an awesome opportunity.

I can only go on my experience but I had a blast. Last year was my first time at SCC or any other Conference type event. Everyone was very nice and it was a breeze going everywhere dressed. I made it a point to go to as many of the evening events as possible and I'm really glad I did. I also went to the princess day on Wednesday I think it was and that was really very nice. There are plenty of wonderful folks who do makeovers or make up for you in the Vendors area and making an appointment is easy. I personally liked Scarlett the best but there are a number of others as well.
    I will say that I kinda made a pact to myself to make sure I sat at a different table every day for lunch and dinner to make sure I met other girls and I'm really glad I did. I'm a bit on the shy side and I met some wonderful ladies that way.
    SCC is a great way to put yourself out there in a warm friendly environment I'd highly recommend it to anyone, you won't be dissappointed.
    margo

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Here's how it was for me the first time:

Showed up having never dressed outside my home, ever. I had never met another dresser before in my life and was prepared to remain in drab the entire week.

Checked in an entered the bar. It was FILLED with men in dresses! Someone hailed me over to a near by table. Turns out a few there, and many at the conference, were cd.comers. After about 1/2 hour chatting with the girls, with only me NOT dressed, I began to feel uncomfortable.

I went upstairs, dressed, and came back for more toddies with my new girlfriends. The rest of the week was a piece of cake from there on!

Imagine a hotel with 750 to 800 dressers in it. And, the rest of the folks there sympathetic and accepting. If u never leave the hotel, and u don't have to, it will probably be the easiest, safest dressing week of your life!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thank you for all the wondersul advice. I am moving closer to going every day. I will keep you posted on my adventure.

I've never heard of this, but sounds awesome. I want to go! I have loved spending my weekends en fem and slowly changing my daily wear to a more androgynous style.
    Mandi Li

boy revision 2.oh Lisa Jeffreys's Avatar
    Well my male half (he's shy and asked that I not use his name... but check my last name and guess) and I agreed to split this year's tax refund. He gets paintball gear and I get hips, boobs and hair in the color it was when I was a lot younger. A few outfits and some new shoes and this girl may go wandering around he old neighborhood in her new self. ** sigh **

If I just paid for the conference but not the luches am I really missing out? I think I read some of the girls just run to the mall to grab lunch and that sounds fabulous.

Lisa

One word - "go"