Thread: Transitioning Questions

Transitioning Questions

I've been doing quite a bit of research the past few months, as I've fully accepted that in 2 years time I will be saving up to get HRT.

I've looked around and still haven't really found some of the answers I'm looking for, which is frustrating and a little nerve wracking.

The most basic concerns I have are these:

Cost- In Florida I'm not sure how much this will all cost, and I heard some states require therapy and others don't, I haven't been able to find much on this or any good recommended doctors in the area. I'm trying to calculate just how much money I'll need monthly once I start, and how much in the long run I'll be dealing with.

Fertility- I keep getting vague answers on this one, but I really don't want to have children and I'm not sure what to do here. Is HRT enough to stop fertility or will I need to go after the more permanent solution which is getting the 'tubes tied'? I seem to run in to a lot of warnings of health risk and that's concerning. Or do I just take birth control, or is that dangerous to take while on HRT? It's all quite confusing to me.

I know 100% that this is what I want, but I just have to know what to expect and what to prepare for.

Well, let's take a step back and I'll give you some accurate information which will help you on your journey. First, in order to get HRT properly you will first need to find and work with a qualified therapist. Based on your therapist's diagnosis of your having Gender Dysforia and his/her recommended treatment of HRT you can go to a endocrinologist and get a prescription for hormones.

This is based on the WPATH's Standard of Care which is more or less a globally accepted document for the care of transgendered individuals. Thus if you follow this recommended path, you will find that treatment in all states are the same.

Cost, well if you believe you are a transsexual and you are going to transition, the costs involved include: your therapist, laser and/or electrolysis treatments, your endocrinologist, the cost of HRT medications and ongoing blood tests. In terms of surgeries, you may need FFS ( Facial Feminazation Surgery), BA (Breast Augmentation), and finally bottom surgery. Depending upon who you use as your surgeon I have read estimates of up to $100,000 for everything if done by the best doctors.

Fertility, if you transition and go on HRT you can forget about fertility. Part of the process usually includes combining the estrogen with another medication which reduces and blocks the production of testosterone. No testosterone, no babies.

I am happy to understand that you are 100% certain of you desires, but I encourage you to find a qualified therapist to work with as your first step. Only with this type of support and guidance can you be assured that you are doing the right things for you and that you will not have any regrets later.

Nicole, Deimos is a transman. He has no need of BA, FFS, electrolysis or any of those things you mentioned.

Deimos, Nicole does make a good point, though. Transition is driven by WPATH protocols and not state law. I can't offer any useful advice other than to recommend that you visit your local LGBT center and see if they can point you in the direction of some relevant sources to get the answers you need.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Hi Deimos welcome to the transmen section. Have you looked at the ftmguide.org ? There are all kinds of info there for us guys. Every state has different rules as far as money you have to figure in every thing total. Clothes,doc's,therapy,surgery,change your id from girl to guy,money lost to healing time. It is a lot to think about. Best thing is start small and slow. Make sure you get right info and do not do any thing you can not reverse right away.

I'm not sure if you are looking for an endocrinologist? But if so Dr Barry Rodwick is in Clearwater. web page drrodwick.com
    Last edited by Sandra; 04-23-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Read the rules phone numbers are not allowed

Thank you for all the advice and answers so far, they are helping.

I was hoping to try and save up my money and go in stages, finding a therapist firstly, then going on to HRT.

I'm a little concerned over surgery though, and was hoping to see how just HRT worked for a few years, perhaps see if science has improved as well, before making the more serious alterations such as the chest and lower surgery.

Lower, at most, I was thinking of the simpler operation, but I can't remember the word for it for the life of me. I read up that there's naturally an enlargement of up to 2 inches, and the surgery simply calls for freeing up some skin in order to relocate to the more 'proper' location that the genitalia should be.

I get some mixed facts in my research, but saw someone mention a higher risk of ovarian cancer, but I wanted to have something done about the ovaries later on, around 4-5 years in to the HRT from what I recall in my research.

Does this all seem like a healthy, reasonable way to approach all of this?

I only recently came out fully, so I haven't gotten to know a lot of people in the trans community. Most I do know are MtF, and as wonderful as they are they simply don't have answers for me.

On more personal questions, I'm also wondering about how all of this may effect one's sex life, as I'm quite an active guy. I have a fully supportive man in my life right now, not really asking about how other people would feel, but I myself wonder how it will effect my own performance and libido. (hoping this isn't a too 'out there' question, I just don't know where else to ask)

Thank you again!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    You have enough posts ask me about joining the boys club house and ftm transition section. It is a little more private in these section.
    Bottom surgery is not a simple surgery it is slow and pain full. A member on this forum has had 4-5 surgery to get his bottom surgery done. They had to fix a couple of things twice. I personalty do not think I will go for bottom surgery.

Aspiring Member

My first post here...

Hi Deimos,
    I read this section sometimes and noticed your question, and apparent concern, regarding getting you tubes tied. My wife, a GG, had hers tied almost 35 years ago now and has had no side effects. The operation, even then, was laproscopic and considered relatively minor surgery. Her greatest discomfort was the CO2 gas they used to "inflate" the abdominal; area so they could see clearly. That dissipated in a day or two. IMHO, getting your tubes tied is one of your lesser surgical problems.

Good luck with your transition,
    Sandra1746

Hi Felix here I'm in the UK but yeah similar rules apply even on the NHS. I'm fully transitioned started in 2008 I've had all surgeries including Lower surgeries. If there is anything ya want to ask feel free I'm an easy going fella ask anyone here nothin embarrasses me so fire away ...Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!