Thread: Where do Kids of Trans go?

Where do Kids of Trans go?

Hi All,

First, keep in mind I am from New Jersey.

My daughter, 14 years old, asked her mother if there was a camp or something she can go to for kids of transgender parents. She is starting to miss her "dad" and would like to talk to others like herself.

I went to a couple of sites like www.colage.org which has and event called family week in August. That would actually be a good event to go to, but I will not be able to take her as I will be recovering from surgery. I also looked into pflag.org but I could not find any regular support groups for kids of trans in this area (Central NJ).

So I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any support groups or events that focus on children that have a transgender parent (local is better)?

2. Do any of you girls or guys in the NJ area have children that would be willing to be part of a support group if I were to start one?

You can PM your responses if you like.

If this is the wrong place to post this, please enlighten me. I wanted to post this someplace that was available to the public.

Thanks,
    Tammy
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Silver Member
    thanks for posting about this. The colage family week is interesting, I did not know about it. Maybe next year I could take my daughter if we save our pennies, she could benefit from having some peer support. We have kept her in therapy through my transition, its been hard on her.

Banned Read only
    Just an idea. You might check with a gender therapist in the area and ask if there is a camp or a support group for the kids. They would know if that exist.

There are several organizations, one of which is PFLAG. But I couldn't find a NJ chapter. They may have some information about other organizations that are closer. It might be worth looking into.

http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=194&srcid=-2

Thanks all.

PFLAG was one of the sites I was looking into. I did not see anything on their site and was planning on calling but I did not do that yet.

A friend of mine asked her gender Therapist at IPG who may see about starting something up.

I also looked into the Pride center but did not see anything on their website. I may see if I can get one started there.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Most local centers are now providing family services. In any case, they are the best place to get started finding local resources. Often, if there isn't a program, there are enough people who have been interested that perhaps you can start your own program. I've done that here, providing a social group for the t and gender variant community that I wanted to see. Networking is key, regardless of what you want to accomplish.