Thread: Question about walking in heels

Question about walking in heels

Hi All,

I bought my first pair of 3 inch heels. I wear a man size 10, and I bought a woman's 11 wide. Size charts said I should have gone 12, but I wanted a smaller size, even if the shoe would be tight. It's not like I'm wearing this all day, I only wear heels for the very short time I get to dress. At any rate, they do not feel tight when I wear them at all.

So, here is the problem......when I walk in these heels, I "walk out of them". In other words, my heel comes out of the shoe when I walk. So, am I taking too big of strides? Or, am I flexing my feet too much, an should walk more "flat footed"? Or, should I actually get an even smaller size that fits tighter too my foot? I'm just not sure if this is a shoe size issue, or the way I am walking. To be clearer, if I first step forward with my left foot, when I pick my right foot up for the next step, my heel will come out, and not return into the shoe until I try to put my right foot down.

boy revision 2.oh Lisa Jeffreys's Avatar
    It sounds like you are taking too big of a stride for a girl. All my heels so far are either booties or strappy but I had to retrain myself when wearing the strappy wedges. The booties were my first pair and they were great, like heels with training wheels.

Good luck with the new shoes. I recall reading somewhere that you add 2 to find the correct women's size but deduct a half size for open toe shoes and add a half size for very high heels. Not sure how high but do know that I cannot find a pair of cowboy boots with 2 or 3 inch heels in my size. Humpf!

Lisa

There are two ways to guarantee a fit(1) is to try them on or (2) buy a custom made pair (very expensive). If you bought them on the internet and could not try them on then send them back. Sizes do vary though from one brand to another, so good luck. There is no sense in keeping an ill fitting pair of shoes.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

This is a common problem women have in shoes. They make cushions that will slide behind your heel to keep your foot secure. I would also recommend a pad for the ball of your foot. It isn't how you walk that is the issue
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I concur what Lorileah says although I think you may be trying to stride out a little too much.
    There are all sorts of adhesive patches to put behind the heel but I find a more snug fitting shoe does it for me.
    Shoes with ankle straps are of course not a problem.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

shoes vary In size even among the same brand. a size 11 in one shoe could be similar to a 10 or maybe even 12 in another.. If possible its best to try to try them on . If not possible just make sure where you're buying from has a good return policy. I do like the strappy shoes which makes it a little easier
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Sounds like they're just too big. When you stand in them, do your heels touch the back or is there space? The only time I've had thi happen was with a pair of flats that were just way too big. I doubt that it's your stride. They might break in some as you wear them, like good boots do. If the sole won't flex, the heel will lift some until the sole becomes more flexible.
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Ms Laura has really nailed your problem with your new heels. The back of the shoe should be pretty snug with your heel, and you may still "walk out of them" a little. If you have a gap, then your shoes are too big and you'll need to either curl your toes to keep them on or send them back.

Sizing: You'll often hear the familiar adage of women's shoes are normally 2 sizes smaller than men's. This may be true for short heels of 3 inches or less, but is not true for higher heels which should be smaller because of the arch of the foot. For instance my 3 inch heels are 14's, my 4 and 5 inch heels are 13's, and anything higher is a 12. I wear a men's size 12 shoe and a 11 or 11 1/2 cowboy boot.

I understand that trying them on is always the best way to get the proper size and fit but a lot of us aren't to that point (if we ever get to that point) so buying shoes isn't easy. It sounds as if they are too big is where your problem lies. I have bought both the heel pads and the ball pads and they do work Payless has them right now at buy one, get half off the second.

I wear a men's 10 also. When buying strappy open toed heels I go with a 9 1/2 - 10. Peep toed are certainly a 10 (for me) but a pair of pumps or anything closed toe or heel , I need a 12. The girls here are correct, each different brand has a different sizing and fit. Sometimes even if they are the same brand. Also this also depends on if your wearing hosiery with them or not. a lot of things to keep in mind when buying heels
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Stride may be a problem, especially if you are new to walking in heels. In my experience, the heel sliding out of the shoe while walking is a size issue, which can dealt with in several ways. First, and probably foremost, a proper fitting shoe. Unfortunately, for me at least, a proper fitting shoe usually requires some breaking in, during which one might endure a little discomfort (or pain.lol) If you like the extra room for your toes to avoid discomfort, foam or gel inserts for the ball area will take up a little of the extra room, as well as provide some padding to each step. There are also foam inserts that go into the shoe on the back of the heel, these work pretty well to take up some of the extra room and will help keep the foot secure in the shoe. One can also adjust their gate to minimize this.

Ciara

I would say they are to big, you might try an insert to see if that helps. I always shoe shop in person and try them on.

I don't think stride length is much of an issue. My first pair of 5" heels were a little too large. As soon as I started to take the weight off of my heel I could feel the shoe to start to slip off of my heel. And when that happens for me, the heel comes down too soon and tends to slide a little when walking of hardwood floors or any slick surface. My second pair was a better fit and those heels are much easier to walk in. I did wind up putting gel inserts around the back of the heel in the first pair to make them feel a little better. BTW, I am a size 8 in mens and I buy size 9 in heels.
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Payless always throws a "heel gripper" in when I buy pumps. It's under $2 and might work, although I haven't had much luck with them.

Thanks everyone!!

I'll try the heel pads for a tighter fit, and experiment with stride if that does not do it. I'm not as comfortable as most of you are about shopping in person. I find a shoe online that a retail store carries, then I go in there with a "note from my wife" to get that shoe. I'm not sure they buy it, but they act like they do, and that gives me enough nerve to buy those shoes. No way I'm trying shoes on with others in the store.

I wear a size 9.5/10 men's shoe and 12 in girls. I tried buying a size 11 once and broke the front of the shoe (it was a thin strapped heel). I sent it back and got a refund because of their within 2 weeks No Questions Asked policy.

But from then I learned to never buy a lower size no matter what. I just purchased a size 12 fishnet ankle boot and its pretty tight on my foot. So it varies by company i guess.

I have tried the heel patches mentioned above and while they do help in keeping my heel in place, they force my foot forward jamming my toes. I am going to try modifying the patch so it just supports the outer portion of my heel to stop the heel lift.

I wear a guy's 10D and a girl's 11WW, 11W, 11.5D, 12W, 12WW (so much for the 2 sizes up rule of thumb/big toe). I have found the better made, not necessarily more expensive, shoe runs a bit smaller.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Several gg's have told me of a quick fix that they use for the heel slipping out of their shoe. They carry a small travel size can of hair spray in their bag, and give a small spray into their heel area of the shoe.
    This sticks the heel in place for a while.

Jodi

I would try stuffing a couple tissues or something like it into the toe area of the shoes. This makes them effectively smaller. See if this helps.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Banned Read only
    If you can stick you little finger between your heel and the show, the shoe is too big.

If only one foot comes out of the shoe, there could be some asymmetry to your walk or your feet have a distinct size difference. If it's both, then it is likely they are just too big. Heel pads should be used to take up some, but not all of the size difference. However, if you can get your finger in there, you would have to build up too many heel pads to take up the difference.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Your shoes don't fit, plain and simple, Sandi! I'm a men's 9 1/2 medium. Most 10 1/2 ladies fit me ok. The problem is after size 10, ladies shoes r rarely sold in 1/2 sizes!

I can occasionally squeeze into size 10's. And, size 11 boots usually fit me fine, but 11 shoes r usually too loose, Letrect.
    There r NO strict rules that work for shoes! Try them on, then buy them. If u buy online, be sure the price and return policy is good before u buy!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I think that I would work on getting over my fear of just going to the store and trying them on. The S/A's don't care who is buying the shoes, or why. If you are worried about other customers, find a time when the store is not busy. This will eliminate a lot of the hassles of having to return ill fitting shoes and unlike ordering off the net, you will have what you want immediately!!!

Monique