Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG!! My Son Is Taking A TS girl to Prom!!!

OMG!! My Son Is Taking A TS girl to Prom!!!

OK, my 18 year old, black belt in Karate, Eagle Scout son is taking a transsexual girl friend to his high school senior prom.

I am so freaking excited! He told me this morning when he asked me to sign a permission slip type form for him to get permission to take an outsider to a school event. I have just been blown away by his acceptance in dealing with my own coming out and transition in progress and now he does this. I don't even know what to think, except I am so proud of how he has turned out.

I do not think she is a member here, she is 24 - a little old for my baby but I know this girl fairly well. She is really nice and is a talented musician. She lives in the DC area, works as a DOD contractor in network security. He met her through his MLP Brony meet up group that put on a big convention back in March. I met her almost a year ago in one of our trips we took there so he could meet with his friends. She was the Co-Chair for the convention we both worked at. She transitioned some time ago, I am not sure exactly when, she was full time when I met her. In fact she was part of the inspiration for me to transition myself, so I have a lot of respect for this girl.

I hate talking about her behind her back but I was so darn excited I had to tell my friends. He gave me permission to tell my friends but not to chaperone the prom, oh how I would like to be there. But I will give him his space.

My son was a little surprised at how thrilled I am. Can you believe that? I can't wait for prom pictures now.
    Last edited by josee; 05-01-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/josee.k.moore
    On my way to being whole.
    Jessica Katherine Moore

Wow. That is good news in regards to your status. Your son just said in actions it's ok to be the way you are. The current generation of kids seem to be more accepting of us than we were about ourselves.

yes think the younger children are way more open today with trans people than kids 25 years ago. i know my daughters both in early twenties have been great to me and for me. i am very happy for you.

Silver Member
    How the world has changed.
    Lea

Are happy if she changes from "a transsexual girlfriend" to "my son's girlfriend". I completely get your excitement.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

I would be thrilled if she became his romantic girlfriend. I am not sure of their level of intimacy. Last I knew they were like buddy's. He did tell me that they talk every day.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-30-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: No need to quote the preceding post
    Jessica Katherine Moore

Banned Read only
    this is a great testimony, and story, and I will say again, that Bon Dylan used to sing about "The Times, They are a Changin".

Josee now I am really completely excited for you and for your son.....

I think it is fabulous, I certainly would let him have his space and try not to appear too over enthusiastic.
    Try and be as calm as you can possibly be and let them both enjoy the prom.
    If news breaks that she is transgendered he will probably be glad of support then.
    I hope it all goes well and I am really pleased for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Makes me wish I had taken up M2F HRT much earlier in life! Now I can't see myself ever going out with a man, but I think I would have been much happier if I had exchanged testosterone for estrogen.

John
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Josee, what a wonderful son you have. Now all you have to do is control yourself long enough to get those Prom pictures taken.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Wow, thats really amazing, hope they have a blast.

YMMV
    Congratulations! Sounds like your relationship with your son is very strong and he is a young man that you can be very proud of!

This is a great post Josee. I just hope we get to see prom pictures of the happy couple. Your son sounds like a wonderful person.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groove67 View Post
    yes think the younger children are way more open today with trans people than kids 25 years ago. i know my daughters both in early twenties have been great to me and for me. i am very happy for you.
    Just think, maybe in 25 more years, news like this will be a non-event. Maybe the day will come when dating or marriage is seen as "people" dating/marrying/going to prom.

Man these kids today though have things great. I mean it isn't even that unusual to hear of young TS getting to transition and not have to wade thru all the BS that us late transitioners have to deal with daily.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I get the feeling at his age its already not a big deal, which is great...they have no concept of what the world was like only 10-20 years ago. I just hope there is no stupid school board politics that they have to deal with...
    Chickie

Aspiring Member
    My ex told my daughters about me after the divorce and they were fine with everything. Today's generation is exposed to all of it and not as sensitive as during the dark ages of 30 years ago. As a related example, I grew up with bigoted adults who had negative attitudes about people of color. Some of my best college friends were black and we got along great though there was that feeling that it wasn't right to associate because of the attitudes of elders. Thankfully things have changed and so have I. If I were a teen today I'd be right out there transitioning thanks to more acceptance.

Cheryl
    Last edited by Cheryl Ann Owens; 05-01-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Gold Member
    School politics -
    Yeah the school system is a PITA to deal with on all fronts. If no one knows she is TS, then it won't be an issue. Even if people figured it out at the prom, I doubt they are gonna ask her to leave.

Man I cannot get over how awesome it would be for a young TS to have such an opportunity. For your son it is cool but for her - getting to go to prom as a woman, younger man in her arm, some ladies have it all.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

No one around here knows her so I doubt there will be any politics involved. David isn't going to tell anyone either, he doesn't even think about her being TS. He didn't even understand why it was such a big deal to me until I told him to think about it from my perspective.

I have a truly special kid and have felt so blessed to have him as a son, but he has always been that way. I just got damn lucky with this one. He is an intelligent and caring individual. He puts his friends above anything else, including unfortunately sometimes his school work.
    Last edited by josee; 05-02-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    Jessica Katherine Moore

That is fantastic news! I am so glad that he is so accepting of those of us and most especially of you. I hope it all works out and that if that is what they want to continue their relationship it would be great.
    Sara

So, Josee, you must tell all........

@Sara - They have been friends for more than a year, so they always have that relationship. If it goes further well that's cool too.
    @Katheryn - What do you want to know?
    Jessica Katherine Moore

WOW, would love to hear more about this. Its really nice that people are accepting of us. Kids are not as bad as us older folks when it comes to this.

You give credit to your son, but the one who truly carries the torch of wisdom is You girl, through your love you have sow the seeds of love!

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging comments. Like I said, I got lucky with this one. I'll post more details when I have them but prom is still about 3 weeks away here.
    Jessica Katherine Moore