Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is "transgender" a bad word?

Is "transgender" a bad word?

The question is meant for this forum specifically.

The term transgender is really an umbrella term for crossdressers, transsexuals, drag queens, intersex.

The thing is, I realize that this forum has it's share of experimenters, and those who like to wear panties and lingerie, and all the other fineries, and that's all fine and good. You've come to the right place as far as I'm concerned.

There's also plenty of discussion regarding hormone replacement therapy, hair removal, and other surgeries.

My point is I rarely, or hardly, ever see the word transgender on this forum...except maybe an article in the media section.
    LGBT is growing to be universally accepted in western culture....T's included.

There are far more panty wearers (not that there's anything wrong with that) on this forum who do not consider themselves transgendered.
    Call yourself anything you want, as long as you are happy.

I like the word and the umbrella meaning. And, I also know that just as we start to embrace this definition/word and new one will come along to replace it, or maybe there will be several words in its place. So be it. Thankfully, the English language is not dead and adapts and changes well as the world changes. I call myself a crossdresser most of the time, and reserve transgender for special moments because I think it conveys a better message to others not familiar with the what's and why's of what we do. I am proud to be both.

Sejd
    As I understand it, the word "Trans" mean to go from one place to another. A transition. For me, I am the way i am. I am perfectly fine being a guy and I am also perfectly fine putting on my skirt every night in my home, and also perfectly fine going out dressed as a woman or a man. It all depends how I feel. We all have our path and our special journey and it is my experience that when we try to tell others how to be, we miss the point.

I proudly call myself transgendered! Only my co-workers don't know, well I don't think they know. One is going to lend me a copy of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert".....does this mean she noticed my pierced ears and nail polish?.........I'll let you know.

Julie

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I am seeing it in news stories from major media in Canada and UK. For example, a fair number of the items I post in the media section come from The Guardian (UK).

Even the better of my city's local newspapers carries occasional stories about transgender or transsexual topics.

I think its okay and accurate to use the term transgendered on this site. Because each person here is intheir own location with in that term.

Spoke to my therapist recentlyabout where I am in in being transgendered, and she used the term "spectrum" --and then quickly apologized forth term "spectrum" . I was told her thatI think that word is okay too.

My therapist has used the term "Gender Variant" when talking about cross dressers. She also has talked about the "Gender Spectrum" and that we all are somewhere on that spectrum.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    The problem, as I see it, is not with the word, but that so many members refuse to acknowledge its definition. Transgender merely means across (or crossing) gender.

Unfortunately, members try to redefine it to be a synonym of transsexual or, as with Sejd, confuse "trans" with "transit" (from which we get transition).
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I like 'transgender' as an umbrella term because of its inclusivity; it eliminates the divisions within our community that are created by other labels. I also like to apply the term to myself because it nicely describes the ambiguities between my physical sex, gender expression and gender identity. It's a term that bridges the gaps left by other labels – particularly that chasm that can sometimes appear to exist between the terms crossdresser and transsexual.

There are some people who do not feel the term is appropriate to them. And that's cool, too. But only so long as they don't use that position to narrow the definition of the word and create new exclusions within the community.

Natasha

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Unfortunately, members try to redefine it to be a synonym of transsexual or, as with Sejd, confuse "trans" with "transit" (from which we get transition).
    It's not just members - the general public, if they are aware of the word at all - view "transexual" and "transgender" as synonyms, or at least stages along the way, as in "caterpillar", "cocoon", "butterfly".

The actual latin roots of the suffixes "cis" and "trans" are completely clear - at least if you ever studied any chemistry. But nobody does, so they don't understand the meaning of "trans" as "crossed", "flipped", "mirrored", "reversed".

Silver Member
    It isn't a "bad" word, it is just so broadly defined, and at the same time poorly defined; it is intended to encompass all possible forms of gender variant behavior, and at the same time the definition of the word seems to change depending on context (it can be only people who engage in medical intervention, it can be a "polite" term for transsexual, it can be anyone who wears an item traditionally worn by the opposite sex regardless of the reason.) It is not surprising for some "transgender" can be a tough fit for them.

Back when I first started out, we were the "TV/TS community"... when it was (generally) ok to acknowledge differences and no one accused you of being a hatemonger and tore your head off over it... sometimes, I miss the old days.

I agree with Natalya. She described it perfectly for me.

I hate the term as it is used in this forum, and don't believe it is a very useful umbrella.

Imagine trying to do the same thing with race. "I don't care what you say, you are African American. That's the umbrella term we use here." Sorry, no. People should be free to self-define themselves, and not be threatened when the self-definition of others is different than his/her own.
    Last edited by Leyna; 05-02-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    I am not who you think I am

The thing about labels are we use them to define who we are and others. When we do that those we define may not feel the same way. I kinda like the term transgender and i have used it many times explaining myself to others. I felt it defined me better than other terms with out having to go into detailed explanation. I personally do not care how people define themselves or me. As I grew up I used various terms to define myself and as I matured those feelings shifted and I had to find new terms. I have been a fetish crossdresser, crossdresser, transgender individual and ultimately a transsexual. There are those that may feel I do not fit the classification a transsexual and they are entitled to their thoughts. It has zero influence on how I go about my daily life.

There have been many discussions and locked threads about the different labels and the how different individuals are labeled. An individual that is male, has no transgender inclinations, but dresses for the pleasure of the clothes and does it frequently is a crossdresser. They however not liking the derogatory nature of the term will strongly disagree. Same as if a person that crossdresses and has some feelings of being the opposite gender should be said to be transgender and probably is may feel their masculinity is threatened and wants nothing to do with the term. Labels can serve a purpose but run into difficulty when we impose labels on others they do not think appropriate.

In the end we are all what we are and how we wish to define ourselves regardless of others.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Hi,

Transgender may appear to cover all yet does it im a female so no im not really a part of the transgender side of things ,as to trans mening to cross over or change from say male to female or the other way then no i dont , i did not or could not change ether way because of being both & what some Dr, may or not say has no bearing on what a person is so we need to be carefull of what we say concerning or lumping all & sundry into one box.

Had the Dr' said i was intersexed it would have saved a lot of issues, from very early on , now this applys to myself & no one else,

any way im not bothered i have a neat life,

...noeleena...

I often use the term "transgender girl" to describe myself to the unknowing,so I am happy with the word. However,it really doesn't describe a"true CD" lol,or a fetish dresser,or someone that goes around "half baked"lol,or however. Transgender seems more to describe the mindset of some of us,rather than the appearance to the unknowing.

Banned Read only
    I am whatever you decide to call me today but, remember, you may decide to call me something else tomorrow.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Transgender is fine. Starts with the same 5 letters as transvestite and transsexual. That sort of makes it a little scary to me. After all, this is Crossdressers.com.

On the whole, I'm with Suzy, Natalya is way smarter than me and said what I wish I could have said.
    Last edited by Lynn Marie; 05-02-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    The term transgender is really an umbrella term for crossdressers, transsexuals, drag queens, intersex.
    Nathalie nothing wrong with the word until somebody disagrees with it's definition of it and how it applies to them. Some groups or individuals don't want any part of the TG label. If the general public sees any of the MTF's you mention out in public they would not know the difference and the word transgender would fit the bill. Same thing goes for LGBT rights, they want to include all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    It isn't a "bad" word, it is just so broadly defined, and at the same time poorly defined; it is intended to encompass all possible forms of gender variant behavior . . .
    Yes, but that's changing in practice. "Transgender" traditionally includes transsexuals, intersex, crossdressers, genderqueer and drag, but these terms are now becoming more well-defined and those definitions are becoming part of public dialog. IMO, that "umbrella" no longer is particularly useful when we can so easily make distinctions that were once not very well defined or very well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
    I like 'transgender' as an umbrella term because of its inclusivity; it eliminates the divisions within our community that are created by other labels.
    And I applaud that. But as members of the "T" part of LGBT continue to define themselves they're not very interested in being under any sort of umbrella. And I don't think that's divisive. There's nothing wrong with defining one's own identity.

Sure, it's confusing that "LGB" became "LGBT" and has morphed into "LGBTQIA" or even "LGBTQQIAA". Times are changing, and we need to change with them or be stagnant.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

I have mixed feelings about the word "transgender" these days. I do use it sometimes and there was a time I much preferred it to any of the others we use. However, I think it can blur the lines for people unfamiliar with us and to be honest the difference between a transvestite and transsexual is like chalk and cheese. So as an umbrella term it's great but it can lead to confusion for those who don't know anything about us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is not with the word, but that so many members refuse to acknowledge its definition. Transgender merely means across (or crossing) gender.

Rianna, I agree with the first part. The idea that some have that we should be free to define words any we choose is nuts. How can we commmunicate if what someone says isn't what I hear? Maybe there should be a book with standard definitions of words. Let's call it a dictionary. And let's use those standard definitions. If we need a new word, let's create one instead of changing the definition of a word currently in use.

But I don't agree with the second part. Not that you're wrong, but I see it differently. My observation is that transgender is used by many to describe a state somewhere between crossdresser and transsexual. So when you hear transgender, you hear transsexual, and when I hear it, I hear "more than CD, less than TS".
    And that's the problem when people use their own definitions.

I'm in the umbrella camp, with the dictionary.

Something tells me the mods won't let this thread go on too long.

I do not identify myself as being "transgender" or "transgendered". I am many things. A husband, a father, a grandfather, a brother, and a son. My gender is male. 100% male. I just like to dress up as a female from time to time so I suppose that makes me a crossdresser in addition to the other labels.

Surprisingly, some mebers of this forum (crossdressers.com, not transgender.com, BTW) have from time to time insisted that I am transgendered. The don't know me, they have never met me or seen me in person, yet they take it upon themselves to tell me that I am something I am not.

I don't think there's a single label that can accurately be placed on all the members of crossdressers.com. Ther is a wide variety of people here.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

No one should force a label on someone else. I do not think transgender is a bad word and i do think it's shock value has been diminished in recent years.