Thread: A big day out

A big day out

Hi all,

I decided a while ago that I was going to transition. I'd done all the legwork by telling friends, family and employers. I'd spent time dressed at trans friendly venues. But before today I'd never been out dressed. I know, it seems crazy, like I've done everything the wrong way round, but I lack the basic confidence to do things that come easily to others.

Anyway, I'd arranged to meet another trans woman in Manchester. That involved walking across town, after which I expected we'd head off to the safety of Canal Street. Instead, we ended up in Primark, quite possibly the busiest shop in town. This was certainly a baptism of fire.

To cut a long story short, my friend clearly wanted to build my confidence by taking me to normal mainstream places, so at the end of the afternoon I was sat in a Wetherspoons surrounded by people watching the FA Cup Final (yay for Wigan! Just cos I'm a United fan ).

No one seemed to care, and I didn't notice anyone staring at me. In fact the only person who had a problem with us was a guy in a pub round the corner from Canal street who had come in and sat down on his own on the table next to us, then clearly become offended by us talking about transitioning and loudly sighed and shook his head before making a point of moving to a different table.

The only other people who spoke to me were the barman (who called me 'love') and a guy who slid up next to me at the bar with clearly one thing on his mind.

So a pretty successful day all in all! I need to keep getting out there, then as soon as my hair is long enough I can go full time.

Thanks for reading this far!!

Amy x
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

congrats on a wonderful day

Silver Member
    It sounds like a very good, glad you are getting out

As for doing it wrong I never really went out dressed until after I decided to transition to. Going out the first time not all that easy. You will get used to it pretty quick though.
    Last edited by arbon; 05-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.

That's super great news, Amy! I'm very happy for you!

I'm working up to my first day out myself, so it's wonderful to hear your story.

Platinum Member
    I don't think there is a required order of events. Glad to here that your first venture out into the world went so well, evenin the midst of some, presumably rowdy, football fans!

I think to be honest, mixing with a variety of people instead of just staying in 'safer' areas probably did my confidence a lot of good. More than anything though I just want my hair to grow so I don't have to wear a wig, I think that will help me a lot.

Also, I've started a blog to document my transition and days just like today, it's as much for my benefit as anyone elses because frankly it's probably really dull, but the link is in my signature.

Amy
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

Banned Read only
    It sounds like you had a good day. It is just my opinion but if your plans are to transition then you should live in reality. Go to the mainstream places and get used to it. Yes, I have been to the "safe" places but have never frequented them. I discovered a long time ago that I wasn't going to be living in those "safe" places.