Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlie toys?

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar

Girlie toys?

What kind of girl toys did you have while growing up? I had a my little pony. I'm a Brony now. What about you?
    Links must comply with our rules
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I had two older sisters to play with, fight with and to torment, which according to them I did a great job doing!

I had all kinds of different building sets.... engineers are genderless.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

sister had barbies. used to force me to play w/ her... (and it was a force!, I had to pretend like I hated it.) then in the 80's after both sisters got cabbage patch dolls, I was brave enough to ask mom for 1 ... course I got a boy doll. and years later I got another baby premie (sp?) course my sister always made me play house with her and her dolls too

melissa

Rainbow Bright, Popples, and Carebears. Outside of those, I mostly made my own toys.

Oh! And pretty pretty princess game when I went to my crushes house. She and I used to play that all the time!

I never had any girlie toys ever, and when I was young I was a macho dude that beat up the school bully in my 6th grade.

My parents would never let me have any girl toys. I lived across the street from two girls and I spent a lot of time there though. Barbies was my favorite, but I liked doll houses too. I got a GI Joe. (he can wear barbies stuff lol)
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

"I had all kinds of different building sets.... engineers are genderless....."

Oh right on, Sister! Great line!
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

The only things I remember was a manure fork in one hand and a potato fork in the other! And they were not toys!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Agreed, Legos, erector sets, micronauts and those girder things with the plastic windows were the best!

I was an Erector Set kid as well! But I have been building to "full scale" since that start..lol!

This question has inspired me to create an offshoot thread. I'll post it a little later. Thank you!

To answer your question, my parents bought me an easy bake oven growing up. Considering that toy stores reinforce gender stereotypes and it's sold in the girl's section of the toy store, I guess it's a girl's toy. I just like cake, though. Cakes cooked by light bulb are the best cakes.
    Last edited by May(be); 05-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.

I actually stole a Bratz doll from a friend of mine at school. It was a McDonald's toy and he got it by mistake during one of those times McDonald's decided to have a boy/girl split between toys. His mom brought him McDonald's for lunch in 4th grade and he was kind of upset when he got the doll instead of a Hot Wheel or something of that sort. I offered to "throw it away" for him and ended up slipping it into my pocket. When I got home, I immediately hid it in my "secret spot" (in a box that was under my junk in a drawer) and only took her out to play when my parents where away and my babysitter was asleep. Her name was Jade, and I loved her .
    Done crying.

I don't remember to many toys while growing up. Hot wheels mostly. But my favorite thing was my bicycle. I ah a national forest as my backyard, so we didn't spend much time indoors.

Tinker toys, Lincoln logs, Gilbert brand erector set, You might have guessed I became a mechanic.

My grandpa worked in purchasing at a department store. He would get a ton of free samples. And toys were one of the many things he had a steady supply of. All the grand kids got to pick whatever was around at any given time. I would always play with the girl toys. I remember one baby doll that I really loved! When you held her in your arms her eyes would close. It was so cute!

Do making disco clothes to GI joes count?

My mother made some disco clothes for my brother's and it's GI joes. For awhile the GI joes would attack enemies in disco clothes. It was awesome. It's probably telling kind of now, but I cut the pants legs off of the neon green stretchy pants my mother had made so my GI Joe was fighting in underwear form. Thinking back on this I utterly have no idea on why I cut the legs of his pants. My brother thought it was odd, to me it was fun and completely perfect.

Damn I wish I knew how I endened up this way.
    Last edited by ossian; 05-09-2013 at 12:18 AM.

I had a Teddy Bear does that count ?
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennialy View Post
    Agreed, Legos, erector sets, micronauts and those girder things with the plastic windows were the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    I was an Erector Set kid as well! But I have been building to "full scale" since that start..lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula T View Post
    Tinker toys, Lincoln logs, Gilbert brand erector set, You might have guessed I became a mechanic.
    I recall a study that found that the majority of engineers who graduated before the '80s had one thing in common: An Erector set during their childhood! I had one and it was so superior to the current crop of Legos and K'nex as it allowed much more creativity.

I had to look far and wide, but I made sure that my own daughters had an Erector Set!

I don't recall having any girly toys, nor did I have sisters or female friends.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I was, and still am, very masculine. My desire to dress and my occasional fantasies about doing it more seriously are amidst a true guy's guy voted by my high school buddies as the least likely to be gay. Ironic since I wore my mother's clothes whenever I could and dreamed about transsexuals before I knew such a thing even existed.

I used to undress my sisters Barbie dolls to see them naked, does that count?

Lincoln logs, girder and panel set, trains, slot car, one doll

Right on, Eryn -- the classic Erector sets were the best building toys ever made. I had a composite of about three of the larger sets plus a variety of additional parts that you could order individually from A.C.Gilbert back in the day. I could build anything my skills and patience would allow. Heck, even for many years after I got to college and into the professional world, it was common to see various kinds of laboratory rigs and prototype machines built with Erector girders, motors and gears for the mechanical foundations. I had Lego stuff as well, but creative as it was, that was clearly a toy, while working with the metal Erector parts felt (and was) a lot more like real world engineering.

I also used a lot of basic craft supplies to build my own fantasy toys, usually with an aviation or space connection. Also G.I. Joes (the classic 12" ones with elaborately crafted clothing), model railroads and plastic airplane kits. I finally settled on model rocketry as my lifelong hobby obsession and have accomplished a fair amount in that field.

But my folks never discouraged me from playing with "girl" toys, either. I had lots of stuffed animals and a couple of dolls that clearly did not come from the boys' side of the toy aisle, and they got plenty of play attention from me as well. I credit the fact that I can't cook worth a darn now to the fact that I never owned an Easy-Bake oven, though.

- Diane

tonka toys, slinky, mr potato head, lionel trains and my favorite was the blue and grey battle set by marx
    paula

I had a baby doll that drank a bottle and wet her pants. I also had cowboy figures. For some odd reason the cowboy was always magically turning into the cowgirl. Go figure!
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

closest thing I had to a doll was action man, he had a jeep and a trailer and a helicopter. Use to play with my sister who had a cindy doll and I had action man saving the world