Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Girlie toys?

Ungendered: (when young) Lego, (teen) Lab-Deck breadboard, many Elektor magazine issues, recycled parts from Dad's workplace
    boy: Meccano, H0 train
    girl: Mom's knitting machine

I don't see Meccano (Erector in US) or model trains as gendered.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Actually one year I really wanted a chemistry set and a Microscope, I did get both, but guess parents waited to late and the only microscope kit they could find was in a metal box that opened up and contained everything, on the outside was a pic of girls using it and in Bold letters it said " Microscope Set for Girls, I thought it was so cool and it was all mine.

When I was ~3-4 my mom bought me a baby doll from the Goodwill - it disappeared, though ...
    - Phoebe Brenne

was my mothers dress dummy one summer when she did a lot of sewing..

Growing up I lived in a rural area in northwestern Ohio with my two sisters. Most of the kids anywhere us were girls, and I would go to their houses and play or was at home with my sisters playing, usually with their toys and games. My Dad was a design engineer for Willis Overland ( Jeep) and I did have all the usual boy toys.

Grew up in the 50's when a man was suppose to be a man, but one year for Christmas mom gave in and got me a Campbell's soup cooking set, it came with a cooking pot, little cans of soup a chefs hat and apron, loved the apron, dad hated the whole idea of it all! Other than that, I loved to play with my older sisters collection of dolls from around the world, she had 15 to 20 of them she kept in the top of her closet, and when I was home from school, and she wasn't, I would get them out and play with them, and put them back before she got home. I also made good use of her wardrobe.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

As a kid I was mad for anything with battery and a motor… robots, slot cars (Strombecker… anyone remember those?). Once I motorized my sister's barbie car… Played with her barbie sets too for a while, liked her hot little body and how she could change her style so easily, a foretelling of events to come, no doubt. But when my dad saw me do this, he had a little talk with me about boys and girls and quickly put an end to that!
    When lost, alone, or blue I know I can always get through the day, for I've always another shade of lipstick to make things right!

I never had any girlie (specific) toys either while I was growing up. They were all boy (and even continue to be so in adulthood). However, I do now have a few dance related Barbies, that a female friend who knows about me has given me for Christmas over the years. They are all in their boxes and are for display. Maybe some day 30 yrs from now they will be worth something.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

I was never interested in stereotypically "girly" toys. My favourite toy by far was Lego, which is gender-neutral. I also liked electronic kits and could spend hours just playing with various bits of scavenged electronics as well.

However, I do remember getting a "Batman" costume when I was about 8. I really, really loved it... because it had tights!

Besides boy toys I had a teddy bear. I got it on my first birthday and still have it, it is now 66 years old!
    Have fun now, life is too short to wait,
    RedBaron
    http://www.facebook.com/guenther.eichhorn

Another engineer. My first bicycle was a ladies bike. I fantisized a lot while riding it that I was a young women. When I got older and needed a bigger one I got the boys version. The fantasies did not stop though. Envied the girls and some of their toys, but never had a real girls toy of my own.

Hanlie

I guess I was a "tom boy". I had legos, tonka trucks, power rangers, etc. However, I did play with barbies wit my sister.