Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Poll*** Own hair vs wig

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar

***Poll*** Own hair vs wig

How many of you girls are able to get by styling your own hair into a female style or must you resort to wearing a wig. Do you feel like its easier to feel female if you dont have to wear a wig.
    For me I feel like a wig is just not part of me. Like its partially a costume. But growing my own hair out to the point of being able to style it may throw off signals that I dont want anyone to catch.
    Erica

I prefer wigs. I keep my hair buzzed. Makes me versatile in everyday situations. Sometimes gas and go is on the menu, so being buzzed is convenient. When I doll up and want to change my look, a new top is only an Amazon order away.

Cheers,

Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

If I still had lots of nice hair, I'd style that like I did when I was young. But I don't. So I wear wigs. They get hot, so I just keep the house cooler than normal, and it's not a problem. Ebay has lots of vendors for wigs; you can try the cheaper ones like I do or go for human hair wigs which cost 10 times as much.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I feel the same way about a wig. I feels like a costume, but at the present I have no choice. I am growing it out and we will see in a few years if I can make it look good enough to stop with the wigs. It is a large part of what makes us look feminine though.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I always use my own hair, gives me a lot more options and just feels better than a wig. I have a couple for cosplay but for girl mode it's all natural ^_^
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

At one time fashion dictated men wore their hair long.
    It was wonderful.
    Fashions changed and I was back to a wig.
    When I had my own hair I learned to live with it and styled it as I wanted.
    I could even go to a salon and have it styled. I could get the odd highlight in it and get away with it.
    You see, I was blonde and as a woman I could add bombshell to the description in those days.

These days, reality has got a real bite.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Well my photo is my hair so you decide... my hair is cut in a fem style with bangs.. i wear it up in a high girl like ponytail when working or in boy mode...
    The thing with me is the long hair gave me so much confidence that i just felt great going out in public dressed, i didn't feel like i was hiding who i am under a wig. Everything you see is me, yea a little extra with the makeup and jewelry but it is me.. last friday after getting my hair done i went to get a new photo for my state id... can't wait to see what it looks like when the id comes back..

I keep my hair buzzed for practicality also.(I may try a Susan Powter like look sometime .) When it comes to the wig, I consider it part of the particular female "outfit" I am wearing. When I'm in "femme" mode I do consider it part of myself and my overall image.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

A couple months ago I decided to grow my hair out long enough for a female style. Much of this was because my wife said she didn't like my wig and it looked "fake". It is a lot more trouble to care for long hair than short. It got pretty raggy looking and my wife aand a few friends suggested that I go back to my old length and style.

If you still have all your hair and the will and patience to care for it, natural hair beats a wig every time.

On the other hand, if you don't want people to recognize you, a wig is a great diversion, especially in a different color from your natural hair (as long as the color still goes with your complexion).

So I'm planning on buying a shorter wig with the hope that my wife likes it better than the one I have. I may go partially grey which is my natural color.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

In my earlier years it was wigs, because I was working for others and corporations expected a certain image. Wigs did give style diversity but were very uncomfortable. Even more so in the Phoenix summer heat.
    Now that I have me own company I have grown my hair out. It's my real hair in my profile without extensions to help fill out and I have added extensions to help fulness in my avitar. When not in girl mode I just tie it back in a ponytail. Much more comfortable as well as enjoyable.

While I don't enjoy wearing my wigs I really have no choice. Nature played that cruel trick on me and gave me my long hair in college and has since taken it away making me resemble a monk.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Aspiring Member
    Some of us have good luck in the hair department and I am blessed with thick curly hair. Then my naturally low T levels have let me keep my hair into my middle 60s. As I have gotten older I have allowed myself to present as a more feminine person. Now everyone is used to seeing me this way. So, no wigs for me. But I can see where a wig would be handy for someone trying to maintain a masculine look in boy mode. I just don't change that much from guy to gal mode. Leanne

Loosing hair, so it has to be a wig... problem is, recently moved and no longer have the wig! I think it's on its way to Cleveland.

I have grown out my own hair because I can. I dye it to get rid of the grey, but I love having long hair.
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

My hair is to thin so i need wigs.

I would prefer my natural hair, and it would eventually look real good cause I'm blessed with a full head of hair. The wig's a pain, but necessary in my current circumstance

This is a very good question. I'm about 50/50 wearing wigs as sometimes like to dress with full makeup and all but no wig. Have found the few men I've been with this way have loved the look though my own hair not that long. The wigs though certainly give you the opportunity to see how many different looks you can have as a woman and with all the different styles and hair colors you can go crazy changing your look. But isn't that what women do? On the other hand if you wear them for any period of time they get hot and uncomfortable. It's a feeling at the time I dress as to wig or no wig.

Banned Read only
    Erica, I agree. I'm in the process of growing my mane big and long and I really don't care what people think. I will grow it out and style it to my liking and it's going to be wonderful having my OWN big hair.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Count me among those for whom diminishing hair has made wigs a must.

EricaMarie: My answer is both. I have grown my hair out for several years now and it is fairly long but I have very fine, thin hair. My wig really feminizes me and helps my look a whole lot. It all depends on where I am going and what I am doing. I would say that probably 75-80% of the time I am wearing a wig but if I am doing something outdoors like attending a sporting event or something very casual like grocery shopping or running errands I will wear my hair down or in a ponytail with a girl-style cap.

I still have all my hair at 50 so I am letting it grow. it's been 2 years now and it is past my shoulders for the most part.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Seems so far it is a split between either thinning hair requiring a wig and a few of the lucky ones who have hair suited for a female style when needed. As far as me, I prefer my male hair short and worry free. When I was younger I had long hair but times change and so do styles. Now for me to let it grow out, along with shaved legs I am afraid it will give me away. Any one else in the same situation?
    Erica

Well, I'm growing what hair I still have, don't know why, but attempting it anyway, otherwise, wigs it is for me...

Bald in those places were men go bald....have a buzz cut which helps cut down the heat of my wig.

I'm nearly completely bald up top. My hair has been in retreat since the GHWBush administration.

Even when I had hair it was terrible. Back when I had hair in college I tried growing it out. Remember the "hair farmer" New Wave styles of the 1980s? Not "heavy metal hair-band", not a mullet, but ... just "big hair"? I tried growing it out to try to do one of those with it and got nowhere. It was extremely thick, and was curly but not evenly so...it was just this untameable *mass* that went every which way and refused to do anything. So even if I still had it, I don't think it'd be much good to try to grow it out into something that could be adapted into a feminine hairstyle.