Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ***Poll*** Own hair vs wig

Aspiring Member
    I have mixed feelings. I'd love to grow out my hair and "maybe" hide the bald spot I've developed, and wear it in a ponytail. But I'm very impatient too. If I could, I'd still tuck it all up under a wig. I mainly wear wigs because I like changing my look. I'd love to go back to the early 1990's when I grew it out and got curly perms with additional clip-on pieces to fill in!

Cheryl

My own has grown to my mid back and has greyed with age.

I have gone out with both my own hair and with wigs and honestly I could go either way. I prefer my own hair for all the obvious reasons why people dislike using wigs but it is very nice to be able to change your look like we change our clothes and makeup.

Sejd
    I just purchased my second wig and love it. All natural human hair and it looks GREAT!

I would love to be able to have a little hair. Unfortunately that went a long time ago..Ill have to stick to the wig I think..Ellie

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I can go either way wigs are nice tho' slap it on fluff it up and go.
    Been letting mine grow for the last year and a half so its down to the shoulders right now.I can pull off a decent femme style using hot rollers or curling iron.
    It comes out shorter with a style in it but thats OK.
    I have 24 in extensions too that I use sometimes.

I went with a wig early on, partly to make myself less recognizable during my early forays out. It is fun to be able to switch styles in a moment, but I found the extra heat difficult to take and ultimately enjoyed working with my own hair. Thankfully I've been blessed in that department so far (that's my own hair in my avatar, colored and styled more aggressively than usual but otherwise natural.) There's no right or wrong, and plenty of women wear wigs for a variety of reasons.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

I say wigs or extentions for most CD's. I look at hair all day long, and there are some natural differences between genetic male and female hair. Even if you have all, or almost all of your hair, the hairline is different. Women have less recession at the corners of the forehead, and that gives a more rounded appearance to the face. Also, men produce about twice the scalp oil as women, so our hair tends to look dull, without volume, thinner, and our follicles clog up and cause faster hair loss as a result. Our skulls appear larger, so we actually need more hair to diminish the relative size of the face. Then, you also may have to pluck the beard hair from the head-hair in the sideburn area. If you want pretty feminine hair, just know it takes time and effort and start workin' that roller brush and blow-dryer. Most GG's get highly frustrated with their time-consuming attempts to look good and prevent bad hair days. Color is another expensive commitment because the roots have to be touched up every 4-5 weeks. Wigs are fun and relatively cheap compared to keeping up long hair. Maybe having long hair and trying to style it well just to walk out the door, however, can give you a little insight into the limitations GG's often have to deal with.