Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***Poll*** Own hair vs wig

Wigs, in boy mode I would never be able to have long hair. But I would love to have a spike girl cut one day

I used to wear wigs but they were so uncomfortable and fake looking. Since my real hair is still full enough I let it grow out. I have it permed and dyed and style it feminine. At work I pull it back into a ponytail and put it up under a hat or I'll just pull it back and put on a hat. Even in guy mode I still wear it out and down. Hey I grew up in the 80's. I loved my long hair then and I love it now.

My hair's getting long enough to ponytail, use hair pins, etc, though I have to cover a few small bald spots ... I'm grateful, though, to have hair at my age.

About 10 1/2 years ago, when I started really getting into it, I purchased a nice red-hair wig, but the tape kept coming loose...

So I'll work with what I got as long as I can.

I want a wig because I don't like my hair to be naturally long but I have no idea where to start on wigs.

Aspiring Member
    If I had the choice, own hair. But as genetics took that choice, wigs it is.

just about the only true femme quality that i have is my hair...so i don't wear wigs!
    paula

I have been wearing a wig for years, but in the past year I have just let my own hair grow. Right now it is almost down to my shoulders and once it is another inch or two longer I will have it colored and styled and retire the wigs.

I prefer a wig because my own hair is always cut short and really can't be styled in a feminine way.

Gold Member
    I have only ever dressed while styling my long hair. It takes a little more effort on a daily basis, but it just feels right for me.

I like to be pretty Joanne Curl's Avatar
    I would love to do away with my wigs and grow my hair long but I don't have enough hair left- damned male patterned baldness. I hate how hot my heads gets with a wig but I have no choice if I want to be pretty.

Wig are good for me. Gives you the option of trying many different styles.

Aspiring Member
    I let my hair grow out starting three years ago. It's male-pattern thin in front and back but otherwise pretty luxuriant (and still most of its color) for my age. After a lot of research, I went to a local wig shop (great folks, local owners, no big deal) and found a hairpiece that clips in around the crown. Near-perfect color match. So, if someone were to try to yank my "wig" off by pulling on the ends, my head comes with it.

It's a wonderful feeling, totally liberating, and the closest I can get to having my own hair be passable. It took a while to learn just how to position it and get the clips tight, but I have three or four ways to arrange the bangs for different looks. I think it's maybe too long for my age (old hippie lady?), so I may have it cut a bit to avoid looking like old hippie dude, and I'm experimenting with a curling iron and teasing my own a bit to avoid that Cher center-part look (but sometimes that's my mood).

Wigs are quick, easy, and versatile, but I love having what's up there be 90 percent mine. Everyday boy mode? Ponytail at various heights. No problem.

In the last year I've visited the barber less and less. Problem, maybe, is my hair has always been curly so hard to style without mousse.
    Thanks to my mother's genes I have all my hair, now silver. However, as commented, when and if I ever go outside the "closet" I have a wig
    for disguise, or so I imagine. I know one member who will scream reading this because she believes, perhaps correctly, that I worry too much.
    Julie

As I rocker, my real hair has always bee on the long-sih side... How-some-ever, in recant years, Mother Nature has caused me to find the need for a wig, both en-fem, and for "ugly" to...
    Last edited by 5150 Girl; 05-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.

I wear wigs all the time due to early onset male pattern baldness by early 20s. Nicole Briown, I'm so jealous. wish I could grow my hair out like you and color it whatever. I met someone at a meeting tonight whose hair is totally natural looked tremendous. Between that an her bare shoulders, ooo lah lah!

Hi Erica, wigs for me, as I am in guy mode 90% of the time. I keep my hair short for ease; actually buzz it myself. Wigs are quick, easy, and I can change it up based on my mood, as I have three (lucky boy). BUT, wigs are hot and unpleasant to sleep in... I see the large effort my wife has to put in for her hair, and it is not worth it for 10% of my time. Maybe if i dress more I'd consider letting my hair grow out.
    HA! But in my next life as a GG ... definitly below the the shoulders flowing sandy blonde hair for this girl!!!! LOL
    Hugs, Jules

I just don't have the patience for long hair in guy mode. It would be nice if I could just snap my fingers and have long hair for girl mode, but as it is I'm ok with a wig. Wigs make it easier to play around with different styles anyway.

Well sense I don;t have any hair It will have to be a wig .

I am blessed with genes that not only give me a full head past my shoulders but I'm over 60 and still have some colour. A GG friend told me my hair looks like Veronica Lake, my only good part.
    I have sometimes felt jealous of friends who wear wigs though because they can change style and colour on a whim and can take it off and fade into the background, sometimes that would be nice.

hugs rita
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

For the last few years i have tried on multiple occasions to grow my hair, just never been able to get it to the point were its a length that flops instead of being a mess. Due to work i don't get time to have a half hour hair salon appointment, equally i hate going to the hair dressers any rate. Due to my line of work it also fills up with pretty damn near every thing and gets itchy and horrible by the end of the day. Hence so far i always end up pulling the clippers out and going back to a number 3. Its cool, its simple and its low maintenance.

Would love shoulder length or longer but realistically its probably about 2 years growth for me, and for at least the first year or so of that i really don't have the skills to keep it neat - presentable. As it gets longer i could, but that in-between bits a problem i don't know how to resolve. That said i have good genes and based on grand parents i probably could damn near still grow a decent pony tail length in my 70's :-) So i do have time on my side for now. Hence the latest purchase was my first ever wig, will see how it goes and take things from there. At least its cheap, fast and easy to try. May well provide the determination to grow my own for real.

i wish i could still grow hair on my head.

so i have to answer: wig.

I know wigs are more glamorous but I just started to growth my own, its odd that I get more comments from people about my hair than my waxed brows

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Gaum View Post
    However, as commented, when and if I ever go outside the "closet" I have a wig
    for disguise, or so I imagine. I know one member who will scream reading this because she believes, perhaps correctly, that I worry too much.
    Julie
    That's right...I say "get out there"! I didn't see any angry athletic supporters chasing me with torches and forks the other night,did you?

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Well it seems as if those of us who can grow our hair dont because its too much maintanance, and those of us who are balding wish they could go back to the day of long hair. I fit into the group of us who like low maintanance. It would be nice to have the freedom to style my hair, sems you can do so much more with your own hair han you can with a wig. For example wear it up, ponytail (sporty look) and wear clips and bands in your hair. So for now I rely on a wig, just have to get the hang of styling it.
    Erica

Seeing as I have no hair, its a wig for me!