Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long are your nails?

How long are your nails?

I am trying to grow out my male nails and I was wondering if anyone else had and how long they were before anyone said something.
    One Week as XX - A Research Project - http://oneweekasxx.wordpress.com/

No one has said a thing about my nails when I was in drab. One young lady, early 20's, said that she liked my nails. I was in male mode & this was about 5 years ago.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Due to my working on the house in the remodeling of it I have to use the glue on kind tried growing them but they just stayed dirty and beside we're always splitting or hanging on something even mashed one in a saw horse and had to drill a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure. May grow them out when I get old....

I use the glue on, I use white Elmers glue and then soak in warm water to remove them,
    Feel free to add me on FB https://www.facebook.com/bonnie.stone

Bonnie, I'm shocked that white Elmer's glue will make fake nails stick. My experience is that Elmer's won't stick to anything non-porus, like plastics. Still shocked. How do you do it?

To the OP: years ago, I tried to grow out my nails in anticipation of a weekend when I planned on painting them. When they got to about 3/16 inch longer than normal, they drove me crazy, but I stuck it out and painted them. Now, I use fake nails with adhesive nail tabs. With them, I love the look but I am totally unable to do anything. I don't know how GG's do it.

Bonnie do you have to rough up your original nails to get the Elmer's to stick and how long does it take to dry. When I use wood glue or other Elmer's it seems like an overnight process and usually have to press the pieces together with clamps.

Aspiring Member
    Ten years ago they were quite long maybe a quarter inch more than "normal" and looked fabulous. I was doing manual labor at the time and somehow protected them. Today I'm retired and they break just looking at them! Grrrr! No one ever said anything about them. I suppose they would if I had on some bright red polish. Get a quart of acetone at Lowes or Home Depot to keep handy. You never know when your mother-in-law will knock on the door! Been there!

Cheryl
    Last edited by Cheryl Ann Owens; 05-13-2013 at 02:33 PM.

A few years back when I was working in a call center my supervisor commented about my nails being to long. "I noticed you're having a bit of a problem with typing your notes lately. Perhaps you might want to shorten your finger nails." He was right. I had a french manicure done and they were much longer than I normally had them. I found it very difficult to type accurately. Lots of typos. I went back to the salon and had them shortened. After that my typing accuracy returned to normal. Long nails are nice and they looked pretty but nice and pretty don't always translate into functionality.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

I have always let my nails grow with at least 1/8" protrusion. This is mostly to aid in a skin condition whereby my fingertips become hard and crack if my nails are short. A also like the look and the nails are a great aid in handling small items. The length is difficult to keep up as like Cheryl they are always shattering. Mostly no one says anything, a couple of times I get "nice nails".

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylyn View Post
    Bonnie do you have to rough up your original nails to get the Elmer's to stick and how long does it take to dry. When I use wood glue or other Elmer's it seems like an overnight process and usually have to press the pieces together with clamps.
    I use it as a temporary, use just a drop and hold under a lamp to dry, been doing it for awhile and have had no prob with it.

Yes I build model cars and I use fine sand paper and wet and use the paper on my nail, use real fine to scuff them
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 05-13-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: posts merged... click 'edit' to add more to your post
    Feel free to add me on FB https://www.facebook.com/bonnie.stone

I grow mine long usually without comment other than when did you last cut your nails, and preserve them by using clear nail polish to keep moisture in .
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I try to maintain my nails 1/8 to 3/16 inch. If I'm going to 'go out' I will allow them to grow out to max length and then apply polish...what fun!
    One advantage of having long nails is using the nail to type and press controls at work, at the ATM etc...
    They start to split if I let them grow too long.
    "Missed it by that much!"

I keep mine cut short. When I grow them long they keep breaking, and I spend most of the day at the keyboard, and for me, long nails and keyboards don't mix. I'd like to keep the ones on my right hand long for playing fingerstyle guitar, but it just doesn't work out.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsayw2013
    How long are your nails?
    Rather short. I’m good with tools, like any boy, and I hate to get dirt under my nails. At the end of the day, I’m a slave to practicality, so the nails must be SHORT...

Mine are between an 1/8" to 1/4" past the tips of my fingers. I have had 1 comment so far from the MA at the MAC counter when I was having foundation matched. She said I had beautiful finger nails. I did get a long look from a co-worker but no questions.

Kelley
    The minute you think of giving up think of the reason you held on for so long

fairly short, when I grow them out to is not practical. I use fake nails with adhesive tabs which I buy separately. You can paint them in advance so they are dry and perfect when I put them on. They can just be pealed off with no real mess. I have extra ones in my purse when I go out, as I will usually knock one off.

I like to keep my nails short, my nail beds are already big enough to look good with polish

i have always had kind of long nails for a guy... but since i dress a lot now.. i have started letting them grow and keeping them shaped.. only problem i have it second finger on each hand keeps breaking very easy.... the feather and also chip out.. i know they are the longest and are more likely to hit things while i work but for the most part i keep the rest looking nice and long.. i also polish them with clear polish.. have been doing that for over a year now.. no one has said anything to me about them other then some women i have seen that talked about how pretty they are.

I wear my nails full time about 5/8" to 3/4" past the fingertip -- that's L-O-N-G -- with pink and white acrylic overlays. Everyone notices them, about one in ten thousand comment, and almost all of those are positive. Servers at drive-up fast food windows seem to be the most likely to say something (other than at the nail salon itself or when I'm shopping en femme).

- Diane

I keep mine short but buffed and shiny but will paint them on weekends. If am going to be away from work for a while, i'll get fake ones.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Bonnie, I'm shocked that white Elmer's glue will make fake nails stick. My experience is that Elmer's won't stick to anything non-porus, like plastics. Still shocked. How do you do it?

To the OP: years ago, I tried to grow out my nails in anticipation of a weekend when I planned on painting them. When they got to about 3/16 inch longer than normal, they drove me crazy, but I stuck it out and painted them. Now, I use fake nails with adhesive nail tabs. With them, I love the look but I am totally unable to do anything. I don't know how GG's do it.
    Practice - my nails are usually just past my fingertips, everynow and they I'll use tips or glue ons for a big night. At this point I can type, use the cell phone, insert tiny posts into my (pierced) ears, and put on the catch. no biggie anymore

1 - 3 mm works okay for either male or female presentation. The only one who said anything was my wife when I let them go to beyond that... Its pretty hard to grow them any longer, I always end up breaking one.
    Chickie

sad my nails are not as long as i would like them to be.right now three on my right hand are just poking past the fingertips.and only the thumb on the left hand.
    i would like them all to be a good 1/16- 1/8 in past the fingers. but they keep breaking and splitting.
    i work on them most days (just got done filing them smooth again), time now for a new coating of the nail hardener stuff (like it really works) might as many coatings do help them grow better.
    and only one gal has said anything in many years. asked if i had a manicure. told her i like to kep them looking good.

Hi, Not too long they seem to break easily. So I just try to keep them shaped and the same length. Jaymee

Mine "were" about 1/8"+ till I broke one changing my wife's oil today.
    Now they are all even and short again.
    ​Cindy