Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long are your nails?

I've been trying to grow mine out. I was doing real good until I chipped my thumb on my right hand. So I filed them all down and started over.

For now, I'm just trying to get them to the tips of my fingers.

I'm not sure how long I would like them to be just yet.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnmarrie1961 View Post
    A few years back when I was working in a call center my supervisor commented about my nails being to long. "I noticed you're having a bit of a problem with typing your notes lately. Perhaps you might want to shorten your finger nails." He was right. I had a french manicure done and they were much longer than I normally had them. I found it very difficult to type accurately. Lots of typos. I went back to the salon and had them shortened. After that my typing accuracy returned to normal. Long nails are nice and they looked pretty but nice and pretty don't always translate into functionality.
    And I thought that's why they had a spelling checker!

Mine are about 1/8" past the fingertips and sometimes go to 1/4"...that's when I usually get comments.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I have pretty much always had fingernails level with the ends of my fingers. But really in practice that's only around 1/8" of actual white nail for me, often a bit less. Due to what i do for a living they get used for scraping and pulling at all kinda things (in print a lot of sheets get stuck together, labels need pulling off, attaching etc there very much a tool) When broken - worn down its surprising just how quickly the ends of your fingers get sore.

Need to remember at the end of the day us humans (despite what we dress in) are just animals, nails on all species serve to protect the tips of the extremities and help with things, Like digging for rodents to grooming - opening food sources for primates. Hence to me at least nails are a lot more than just a decorative - annoyance to be chewed on! There useful. Coloured, there useful and fun :-)

My nails are short. I like to play the piano for relaxation and long nails don't work so well with that.

I have one nail that keeps splitting, though, and I keep it painted with clear nail polish to try to strengthen it. I think a few people may have noticed, but no-one has commented.

Silver Member
    Dollar store fake nails - only $1 and can be reused a few times. Use fake nail glue and it takes maybe 10 seconds a nail. Easy to do and they look pretty good. When I want to remove them, just lift off at an edge and they pop off. There is some technique to learn. Might have to scrape off a bit of the nail glue if you use too much. Pretty easy to do.

I work a technical and mechanical job, so maintaining them is a constant battle, but yes, I grow them out. I use clear nail hardener to keep the strength and finish looking good and nobody has said anything. I keep them about 1/16 of an inch past the point of contact with the finger to about the finger tip. I keep them well shaped and filed with a glass file. Any longer and they catch on things when working. Even now, typing, my finger nails are making contact with the keys........I love it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

Most of the time I keep them/revert to short. I am good with nail file, cuticle remover and "buffing"... but when they are longer they still get damaged, look kind of yellowish (could fix that with nail color). My skin is oily and the same with hands... then I will go into frequent hand washing which in result will make my hands dry from soap and irritated.

Getting the nails shorter avoids all these problems. Nevertheless, even with short nails I do filing, watch the cuticles and "buff" every now and then.

I keep my nails really short because I need the ability to type very fast.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I don't hear comments about my long nails with clear polish, but I hear lots of compliments and snickers with more eye-catching colors! The shaping and length of nail bed affects appearance greatly. "Squoval" seems to keep mine strong without making my hands look too boxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison1842 View Post
    Need to remember at the end of the day us humans (despite what we dress in) are just animals, nails on all species serve to protect the tips of the extremities and help with things, Like digging for rodents to grooming - opening food sources for primates. Hence to me at least nails are a lot more than just a decorative - annoyance to be chewed on! There useful. Coloured, there useful and fun :-)
    I love this Alison now I can grow mine out and tell every one I'm just trying to carry on the species and to survive...and yes colored nails the same as lips are useful and fun....lol
    Jaylyn